Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2 L 2014 Starting problem

I don't have prime but I don't get out much.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:55 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Start with a good injector cleaner, then go from there.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wouldn't assume that, and it's very likely a fuel pump issue. I'm not a warring man, but this is 3 vs. 1. And it's probably a fuel pump issue. I.e. Mechanical. Additives might make things worse.

Like adding 92 octane gas in the tank. (address that Eggman)
    I'm not a mechanic, pretty sure you aint' either eggman.
    Hey dspace9 all good points, and you are probably right. And I can see a fuel pump getting fouled by some bogus gas. But, as stevedmc has testified, Techron serves as a good fuel system cleaner and *might* get someone out of a expensive jam.

Time will tell. I seem to recall that stevedmc said Techron is recommended by Mercedes or some such. I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    My comments are based on facts, not assumptions.

Around 200k miles I started to notice a loss of power. I first assumed it was a slipping clutch. Then I realized my car was idling rough so I changed my mind and decided to blame the fuel pump. I ordered a fuel pump and before changing it, I made a decision to try a Techron treatment. After the first treatment I noticed a major improvement. After the second treatment the car no longer had any idling problems whatsoever and power was completely restored. Something was dirty in my fuel system and the Techron cleaned it.

I now do my best to purchase Top Tier fuel whenever possible and I do a Techron treatment every time the tires are rotated. It is all documented in this thread.

$10 worth of Techron saved me the hassle of replacing a fuel pump that probably wouldn’t have even fixed my problem. I suspect my problem was due to dirty fuel injectors but of course I can’t confirm that. What I can confirm is my car was running like crap and two bottles of Techron completely fixed it.
    There's more details to be found in stevedmc's garage thread.

Edit: I found the post in a thread at BITOG that discusses Techron:

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh @ BITOG forums
    I personally know one of the engineers at chevron, and what I can tell you is the techron additives pass the "no harm" tests required for BMW, who slaps their label on techron bottles.

The no harm test includes using the additive at 16x the recommended dosage, as well as pouring it straight into the crank case. Techron additive passed all tests.
    Anyway, this is where I'm getting my info on Techron. I didn't put much stock in fuel system cleaners until I read more about them from folks who used it.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-24-2019 at 10:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Fuel pump maybe? You should filll your Mirage with 87 Octane. High octane is for performance cars. That's what the owner's manual recommends.

Not sure if pumping high octane gas in your Mirage for a few years does anything, perhaps this.
    You need to realize this person is following their owner's manual.

Your owner's manual probably says this -

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline having a minimum octane number of 87 [(MON+RON)/2] or 91 RON."

A European owner's manual says this -

"Your vehicles have the knock control system so that you can use unleaded petrol 90 RON as an emergent measure in case unleaded petrol 95 RON or higher is not available on journey, etc. In such a case, you don’t need to adjust the engine specially. In case of using unleaded petrol 90 RON, the engine performance level is reduced."

I didn't look up an owner's manual for Pakistan, but my guess is their fuel ratings are like Europe. In this part of the world, 95 RON or higher is recommended.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Listen to buddy's you tube vid, sure sounds like the fuel pump. 91 is too high compared to the recommended 87. I never called it snake oil but it seems like a bandaid solution to the mechanical issue buddy is having. Funny how people corral over this.

We'll see if might is right, when buddy gets his fuel pump replaced.
    Have you used Techron?

I don't understand why this is being made into a competition? Members are just offering helpful suggestions.

You are critical of the fuel being used. How is that helpful? It just proves you don't know the fuel ratings in other parts of the world I guess.

If you have experience using Techron, please share the outcome. Other forum members have done that, & it has been found to be a useful product. Steve bought a fuel pump thinking that was his issue, and Techron solved his problem before he changed it. His 245,000+ mile Mirage has been running fine every since. He now adds Techron whenever his tire rotations are done. Other than A/C issues, his engine has been relatively trouble free. The one issue he seemed to have was taken care of by a fuel additive. Even if the fuel pump is the issue in this case, adding Techron is not going to hurt anything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-25-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's the fuel pump. Just wait.

Years of putting high octane gas into an economy car, well I think the result is:
    High octane gas should not have any negative effect on fuel pumps. For 5 years i've been using high octane gas on my mirage and it's still runs and starts fine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Time will tell. I seem to recall that stevedmc said Techron is recommended by Mercedes or some such. I forget.
    Thanks, I will look more into them too, but I do remain skeptical. Appreciate the feedback.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaimaRaiko View Post
    High octane gas should not have any negative effect on fuel pumps. For 5 years i've been using high octane gas on my mirage and it's still runs and starts fine.
    Why are you running high octane for? What's the benefit? I'm trying to keep an open mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Why are you running high octane for? What's the benefit? I'm trying to keep an open mind.
    My engine tends to ping on low octane gas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NaimaRaiko For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In the Philippines Octane ratings for regular, mid-grade and premium fuels are about 91, 95 & 97 RON.

In the United StateS & Canada, that would be 87, 91 & 93 AKI.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)