Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2 L 2014 Starting problem

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks

Mirage 1.2 L 2014 Starting problem

Hi,

I am having an issue which appears suddenly 4 days ago. Mostly after the overnight rest and 2 to 3 hour rest, when I try to start the engine it take a long self to start the car, sometimes it did not start on first try. Check the video below

And when the engine starts it feels like its missing the fuel because when i accelerate little harder it did not accelerate and even get too slow then suddenly it accelerate. It happens for only for 1 to 2 min then it behaves normal.

What could be the reason and how to solve it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might have gotten some bad gas. Did you fill up somewhere new?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    You might have gotten some bad gas. Did you fill up somewhere new?
    No, I always fill gas through one station in my area. And I am using fuel of Octain level 97 RON

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if its flooding out. I think it's been an issue for a few people.

Welcome to the forum btw

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spydev View Post
    ...after the overnight rest and 2 to 3 hour rest, when I try to start the engine it take a long self to start the car, sometimes it did not start on first try.
    So if you stop the engine for a short period of time, it starts fine.
    If the car sits over night or for multiple hours, it takes a long time to start.

Those symptoms are typical of a car that is losing fuel pressure over time. If the car doesn't have enough fuel pressure when the engine is cranking, it will take time for it to build up pressure in the fuel line and start the engine.

What would cause the fuel pressure to go down when the car is sitting? There's a check valve in the fuel pump that prevents the gasoline from falling back into the tank when the engine is off. If that check valve isn't sealing properly, it will bleed off all the fuel pressure over time...and the car will be difficult to start after it sits a long time.

Try this the next time the car sits overnight: Turn the key on (but don't start the car) so the fuel pump will run for a few seconds. Turn the key off, then repeat this process 6 or 7 times. This will build up the fuel pressure. Then try to start the car and see if it starts more quickly after doing this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-24-2019)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Try this the next time the car sits overnight: Turn the key on (but don't start the car) so the fuel pump will run for a few seconds. Turn the key off, then repeat this process 6 or 7 times. This will build up the fuel pressure. Then try to start the car and see if it starts more quickly after doing this.
    Thank you for such detailed reply,

My local mechanic also mentioned that it might be due to faulty fuel pump. Ok let me try do what you say and if it will be success then what do I do then, should I replace whole fuel pump or a part of it (Check valve)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...should I replace whole fuel pump or a part of it (Check valve)?
    The check valve is normally part of the fuel pump assembly...so you would most likely have to replace the whole pump.

Before you would do that, your technician would want to do a couple of tests to verify that it really is the pump that is losing the fuel pressure. It could be an injector leaking or a bad fuel pressure regulator. A few tests will help him pinpoint if/where there is a potential pressure loss.

For example, they can hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, and then clamp off the line from the fuel tank to take the fuel pump out of the situation. This would be to make sure that pressure isn't leaking from somewhere other than the fuel pump. Fuel pumps are too expensive to just replace without verifying they are the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    How about some fuel system treatment like Techron?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    How about some fuel system treatment like Techron?
    I was thinking that too just to make sure it wasn't plugged injectors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No, I always fill gas through one station in my area. And I am using fuel of Octain level 97 RON
    Fuel pump maybe? You should filll your Mirage with 87 Octane. High octane is for performance cars. That's what the owner's manual recommends.

Not sure if pumping high octane gas in your Mirage for a few years does anything, perhaps this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)