Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotated the tires on both Mirages today.....for the first time. Yikes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed these things chew up front tires too.

It's gotta be because of how tiny the tires are. I can easily get them to spin/squeak and, well, it's surprising because it's a Mirage. LOL.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just a reminder about the Mirage wearing front tires at a faster rate...

Based on alignment checks from members of this forum, most Mirages leave the factory with the front end needing an alignment adjustment. So even if your car is brand new, you still need to get a 4-wheel alignment check and have your front end aligned properly for maximum tire life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just a reminder about the Mirage wearing front tires at a faster rate...

Based on alignment checks from members of this forum, most Mirages leave the factory with the front end needing an alignment adjustment. So even if your car is brand new, you still need to get a 4-wheel alignment check and have your front end aligned properly for maximum tire life.
    Fwd cars will always wear the front faster. Alignment has nothing to do with that.

Same with a rwd wearing the rear tires faster if you never rotate them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Fwd cars will always wear the front faster. Alignment has nothing to do with that.
    Understood. But a FWD car with a front end out of alignment (most new Mirages) will wear them out at an even faster rate. That was my point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Good point. But good alignment could help alleviate the problem.

Never mind - Top-Fuel beat me to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bad alignment usually causes uneven wear patterns on tires.

If the wear seems especially even, I doubt that the wear is caused by an alignment issue. Not to say, getting alignment checked isn't helpful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yeah, I phrased that wrong. I should have said bad alignment won't help.

I guess I was trying to be positive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Understood. But a FWD car with a front end out of alignment (most new Mirages) will wear them out at an even faster rate. That was my point.
    Saying most new mirages are out of alignment is completely false.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (07-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Saying most new mirages are out of alignment is completely false.
    I'm basing that statement on the alignment results that forum members have posted here over the last 5 years. Most Mirages don't have rear alignment issues, but the overwhelming majority of owners who have posted 4 wheel alignment printouts on this forum showed that their front end was out of spec when their Mirage was new. I had my own car checked with less than 700 miles on it. The rear was OK...the front was not. That was typical, unfortunately. The front ends of these cars are not dialed-in very well at the factory.

For whatever reason, people have stopped posting their alignment printouts. When they used to post them regularly, it was rare (less than 20%) when a new Mirage was within spec on all 4 wheels. There used to be a Mitsubishi technician (3dplane) who at one point was checking every Mirage that came into his dealership. He reported a 100% failure rate on alignment checks for Mirages...and that was just on the rear axle! I think this was on something like 35+ Mirages.

I wasn't a statistics major, but that's enough data for me to say that most new Mirages likely cannot pass an alignment check at all 4 wheels. That's why we keep advising people to get an alignment check done on their new Mirage. The dealer will do it for free if the car is less than 1 year old and has fewer than 12,000 miles on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wasn't a statistics major, but that's enough data for me to say that most new Mirages likely cannot pass an alignment check at all 4 wheels. That's why we keep advising people to get an alignment check done on their new Mirage. The dealer will do it for free if the car is less than 1 year old and has fewer than 12,000 miles on it.
    I never posted or talked about my first alignment, and yes, from factory the front was off while the rear wasn't. We get so caught up in talking about the rear when MANY people had just as much issue with that front as the rear.

Either way, great advice Top Fuel.

(blank signature)