Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack for Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, and am getting the OEM rack so I can haul larger items and (hopefully) start taking advantage of some of the outdoor activities up here (kayaking, camping, etc.). However, I have heard that these roof racks significantly impact fuel economy, esp. on the highway.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rails can be detached separately from the mount points. Can anyone with the Mitsubishi rack advise as to whether or not the rails on the rack can be easily removed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That's different for sure. I have one of those webber ladders that is 3 "ply" or whatever, so can get an 18' ladder in my Mirage with the trunk closed. I told the cashier that if this stunt doesn't work, I'm returning the ladder immediately. I love the handle in the middle.
    Oh yeah, the hatchback is quite spacious for transporting random items. I have transported lumber and sheetrock with the hatchback just ajar and the 5th door stapped down. And i can fit a lawnmower with the hatchback fully closed.

The only problem is that the interior plastics are so easily scratched so I keep a movers blanket from Harbor Freight Tools in there all the time. A movers blanket is a must with this car to prevent scratches to interior plastic and also to the rear bumper when lifting heavy stuff into it. I lost concentration for just a moment and ended up scratching the hell out of the top of the rear bumper.

But I love the hatchback and on these threads when people deciding if buy hatchback or sedan I always recommend the hatchback for Utility purposes. If you are a tradesman or a Landlord or a Kayaker/Cyclist then the hatchback provides tremendous Utility.

Like I said in a separate post....... the Mirage Hatchback is actually a CUV. Its the worlds tiniest CUV.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post72364
    Last edited by fc321; 10-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-08-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    For sure, the hatch is like a small CUV, or like a small station wagon. I have pushed it by putting long lumber in my Mirage. You're right about scratches, also you have to be careful not to break any glass. Can happen pretty fast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, and am getting the OEM rack so I can haul larger items and (hopefully) start taking advantage of some of the outdoor activities up here (kayaking, camping, etc.). However, I have heard that these roof racks significantly impact fuel economy, esp. on the highway.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rails can be detached separately from the mount points. Can anyone with the Mitsubishi rack advise as to whether or not the rails on the rack can be easily removed?
    I'm also in WA. You're going to get about 3mpg less. I definitely get a bigger loss because of my cargo box.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (10-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Regarding the OEM roof rack, how long does it take to install and remove?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Regarding the OEM roof rack, how long does it take to install and remove?
    I don't have the OEM but I have one that looks very similar and is made for the mirage. After taking mine on and off several times, I've decided it's enough of a pain and risks for scratching the paint that I've just left it on. I use it every other week or so anyway. On a good day I can get 62mpg without racks on my long commute and this week on a good day I got 59mpg with the racks. So, that's still really darn good for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Casey For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    love this
    '21 1.2 MT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just ordered the MZ314660 rack. Hopefully it fits as others have said. I am looking to get a cargo carrier, once I've determined that the rack fits. I bought the rack, in order to put a spare full-size wheel or two atop the car for long road trips, along with other voluminous objects that I might be able to protect from the elements (sleeping bags, sporting equipment). Anybody have accessories they recommend for the rack? It looks like it might be this footing (Thule Rapid Traverse 480R), though not sure about the bars, guessing 60" length bars from how wide they sit across the roof in the photos https://www.partsgeek.com/5gs4bmt-mi...saAsnoEALw_wcB
    '21 1.2 MT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolflippers View Post
    I just ordered the MZ314660 rack. Hopefully it fits as others have said. I am looking to get a cargo carrier, once I've determined that the rack fits. I bought the rack, in order to put a spare full-size wheel or two atop the car for long road trips, along with other voluminous objects that I might be able to protect from the elements (sleeping bags, sporting equipment).
    I removed the donut spare, & I keep a full size spare in that spot. A 165/65r14 tire sticks up some, but I just put a 1/4" piece of hardboard over it. I stash a few things under the board (like jumper cables, gloves, extra clutch cable, serpentine belt, etc... I just put the same piece of rear carpet over the added hardboard piece I cut out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting... I had thought of doing that. I will have to give it a try.

'21 1.2 MT