Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new review; not horrible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A new review; not horrible.

Here's a new review I saw online. Not too harsh...

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...es-bas/493402/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Here's a new review I saw online. Not too harsh...

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...es-bas/493402/
    I really like my Mirage, but I personally wouldn't recommend one for $16,925 (price of the car test driven in this article).

This quote from the article says it all - "The Mirage Hatchback would make a more compelling case if it was aggressively cheaper that the competition. But it's not."

The Mirage is a basic economy car. It needs to be affordable, reliable, and economical to succeed. You take away from any of those three points, & it quickly loses it appeal. Those who review cars seldom take the time to see what price these cars truly sell for.

A no-frills Mirage should sell for $10,000 or under, & all trim levels should be $10,000-$13,000 max. I really like the Mirage for what it is, but it should be cheapest car sold in America (regardless of trim level). Adding more & more stuff doesn't make it a better car.

Personally, I think this reviewer got some things right. The Mirage should be aggressively cheaper than the competition, & in many cases it is. Some Mitsubishi dealerships, however, don't have their act together, & that message seems to get lost. Most car reviewers aren't going to take the time or make the effort to figure that out.

The Mirage would be more popular if it was marketed better. This simple little economy car has 5 trim levels in the U.S., & I even find that to be silly! If the Mirage doesn't come across as cheap, reliable, & economical, it wouldn't be that appealing to me either.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (05-01-2019),Top_Fuel (05-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All good points. I agree, reduce the cost and sell even more. A good, reliable entry level car might bring them back when they decide to upgrade/upsize.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    But Mitsubishi needs the cash.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...This simple little economy car has 5 trim levels in the U.S., & I even find that to be silly!
    Agreed...I sometimes wonder what they are smoking in the Mitsubishi corporate marketing department.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder what it actually costs Mitsubishi for a mirage? 6-7k?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Agreed...I sometimes wonder what they are smoking in the Mitsubishi corporate marketing department.
    Agreed. My ‘17 Mirage SE stickered for $15,700. I got it for $11,600. I would have never have gotten it if it wasn’t under $12K. They need to keep things simple with just 3/4 models (which they are doing) and keep the prices low. People will buy them all day long. Target audience: first time new car buyer, first car ever, retired person, fleet/delivery, and once gas prices go up again and people freak out about their SUVs again.... everyone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I remember a little car that sold for an "aggressively lower price" than others, the Yugo. Back when other low-priced little cars cost $7-8,000, you could get a Yugo for $5,000. We got one. It was not nearly as well designed or well built as a Mirage, and the interior was as utilitarian as early 60s WV Beetles and Jeeps, but much more plasticky. The Mirage interior is much nicer.

Ours was a pretty good little car for a little over 3 years, and did get good mileage, but then it started rusting through and falling apart. Our just bought 2015 Mirage is in much better shape than our Yugo was at that age. And from what I read about Yugos at the time, our Yugo held up better than a lot of them did. People said that we must have gotten one "build on a Tuesday," supposedly the day of the week the Yugo factory screwed up the least.

While it might be better for new Mirages to be priced a bit cheaper than their competition, I don't think three-four thousand less is warranted. I think the Mirage is a better car than that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    While it might be better for new Mirages to be priced a bit cheaper than their competition, I don't think three-four thousand less is warranted. I think the Mirage is a better car than that.
    Agreed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think the pricing being kept elevated is related to financing. Mitsu customer profile tends to sku lower credit rating, down payment challenged. I heard a great explanation in this regards, but can't recall the details. Basically it is advantageous in getting things to work with the financing even though the transaction prices are almost always much lower.