Thread: US: Mirage review - Driving the Highest MPG Car in America* (Gas2.org)

US: Mirage review - Driving the Highest MPG Car in America* (Gas2.org)

* (That’s Not a Hybrid)

This is one straaaange review.

(Note that it's posted on a site that considers fuel efficiency to be a good thing.)

The piece opens with a defense of Mitsubishi against Ford, which recently announced that the Fiesta Ecoboost gets the "best mileage" among non-hybrids in North America. (When in fact, Ford only beats the Mirage's highway rating, not its combined rating.)

But while testing the CVT car, the reviewer announces: "in D mode, the Mirage is absolutely miserable to drive." Why? Because it "upshifts" aggressively to reduce engine RPM under light to moderate loads.

Well, surprise! That is the major reason why the Mirage CVT has the best combined fuel economy rating among non-hybrids.

So our reviewer decides to spend the bulk of his test drive with the transmission in "B" mode, driving around at 4000+ RPM. He loves the car in B mode! (Review is mostly city driving; he puts it back in "D" on the highway.)

Sure, yes, that's more fun. Unfortunately, it also has a predictable result: 28 mpg US = 8.4 L/100km = 11.9 km/L in city driving. Yikes!

Yet, in the end he likes the Mirage enough that he says he's shopping for one. (Though it also sounds like he was a bit of a Mitsu fan before the test drive.)

I just hope he gets a manual transmission, because he seems to miss the main point of the CVT!

Full review: http://gas2.org/2013/11/17/driving-h...-thats-hybrid/

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I gotta say, this review utterly confused me.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    good review! I really think hes gonna bite, and buy the thing hehe