Thread: 6 oil filters for $19.50 shipped

Country
    United States
    Thanks

6 oil filters for $19.50 shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401734487416

Has anyone had any experience with this company: GKI ?

This comes to $3.25 per filter but you could get the orange Frams for about $4 (buying one at a time)

Is this a good deal?

I found this thread about GKI filters on bobistheoilguy forum

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...r-13-000-miles

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401734487416

Has anyone had any experience with this company: GKI ?

This comes to $3.25 per filter but you could get the orange Frams for about $4 (buying one at a time)

Is this a good deal?

I found this thread about GKI filters on bobistheoilguy forum

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...r-13-000-miles
    I look at it this way. You can get a cheapie filter for $3.25 each but you can get a quality filter for a few dollars more. The average oil change interval for most people seems to be between 5k-7.5k. If you drive 15k a year we're talking about saving between $6-$10 a year. Is it worth risking the long term health of your motor for the cost savings of one combo meal at a fast food restaurant per year? For me, absolutely not. But for others---maybe so.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-03-2019 at 03:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-03-2019),Top_Fuel (05-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    fc321, that thread discusses a cartridge filter. It may or may not share the same construction details or quality of build as the spin-on filter for our cars.

Have a look at Champion Labs oil filters at Rock Auto. They are currently $1.37 each.

Rock Auto: 2015 mitsubishi mirage 1.2l l3 Oil Filters

I would be curious to know if their filters for the Mirage are made in the US or overseas.

Champ oil filters for the Mirage 1.2L
    PH2867
    PH2867XL

The History of Champion Laboratories

I hope the links work for you.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-03-2019 at 10:16 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I look at it this way. You can get a cheapie filter for $3.25 each but you can get a quality filter for a few dollars more. The average oil change interval for most people seems to be between 5k-7.5k. If you drive 15k a year we're talking about saving between $6-$10 a year. Is it worth risking the long term health of your motor for the cost savings of one combo meal at a fast food restaurant per year? For me, absolutely not. But for others---maybe so.
    I agree totally! Pairing up a cheap oil filter with a synthetic oil that extends your oil change periods/intervals to 1 year or 5k - 7.5k miles doesn't seem wise. Likewise, using an expensive oil filter for conventional oil changed every 3,000 miles would not be a good use of that type of an oil filter either.

I have the impression that a synthetic oil that extends your oil change intervals requires a quality oil filter. The two go together. To use one without the other would reduce the benefit of it all.

For years, I used conventional oils (Super Tech) & cheap oil filters (Fram, STP, Super Tech, etc...) changed every 3,000 miles. Since switching over to vehicles requiring synthetic oil, I have made a slight upgrade in oil filters.

If I am planning to do synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles, I feel a good mid-range oil filter like Purolator One, Fram Tough Guard, Wix, & Napa are good choices. I have been using Purolator One filters that are rated for 10,000 miles, & I have been changing them @ 5,000 miles.

If I was doing 7,500 mile synthetic oil changes, I may pay a couple extra $$ for a slightly better oil filter like the Purolator Boss, Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, & Napa Gold. Most of these filters are rated for 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a cheap, unknown oil filter unless I was still planning to use conventional oil and change my oil & filter more frequently 3,000 miles or 3 months. Even then, I would probably pick a better known oil filter. GKI does offer a better quality synthetic oil filter. I don't think they are the ones you listed, & I don't have any experience with that company.

Since I save a few bucks doing my own oil changes, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a quality oil filter. In the near future - I am more inclined to go with a cheaper Super Tech synthetic oil change every 5,000 miles, but stick with a good quality filter at the same time.

There are a number of cheap oil filter on the market. Unless someone knows of one that is way under priced for what you get, I would spend a few extra bucks for something better. Especially, if you plan on keeping your car for years to come.

Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2019 at 02:58 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-04-2019)