Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel is hurting my ribs

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Steering wheel is hurting my ribs

Is there any cheap way to extend my steering wheel? I know its not telescopic and that hurts my right side ribs, having to extend my right arm so much. Im only comfortable with the seat all the way back, even one slot forward and I feel like my ankles are fatiguing so that didnt help. Im only 6ft but my legs are long and my arms arent apparently for the Mirage. Im almost having to sit at a 90 degree angle to reach. Any products out there?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does adjusting your tilt steering wheel help any at all?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I just lowered it some more to where I can just barely see the top of the speedometer. I dont have the 6 way seat, just the 4. I might see if I can replace my seat with a junked ES 6 way. The issue is no telescope though I think.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Any ideas? Ive looked online for something to extend my steering wheel to no avail!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you go with an aftermarket steering wheel (ditching the airbag, which makes some people twitch), you can get a spacer to move the wheel further back.

You can even get an adjustable one:

adjustable spacer

Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If you go with an aftermarket steering wheel (ditching the airbag, which makes some people twitch), you can get a spacer to move the wheel further back.

You can even get an adjustable one:

adjustable spacer

Thanks man, I looked at those but hated the idea of not having that main air bag considering it protects the driver more than any other of the 7 airbags. Im trying to find like some kind of extender attachment I can fix to the OEM wheel. Its been tough so far.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Dirk, just a thought. Take a thick pillow or two and sit on them. If you find that position a bit more comfortable, you could simply raise the entire driver seat. That is easy and cheap to do. All needed is to unscrew the four bolts, add a bit of spacing between floor and seat, and redo with longer bolts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you tried a steering wheel knob? Depending on the style, and if you're comfortable driving one handed, it could bring the grip position closer and/or further from the center of the center of the wheel. I hear they're illegal in some places, but I've used them before. I had them on previous cars that both placed the grip closer (to my chest) and further (from the center) making it much more comfortable to hold with my arm on the door arm rest or window sill. The attachment point on those was off center, so I could have also placed it on the inside of the steering wheel. Just yesterday, I got one that doesn't stick out as far and the attachment point is centered over the steering wheel, which would be less of what you're looking for, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll add pics when I get home if I remember. I still have one of the old style on my old Chevy Prizm but I haven't installed my new one on the Mirage yet. I may be busy and distracted tonight, so I'll get to it when I get to it.Name:  20190529_093553.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  81.3 KBWhat I have on my Prizm...probably more to your liking.Name:  20190529_093643.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  86.3 KBWhat I'm going to try on my Mirage...or maybe I'll switch them...I'm also 6' tall and prefer to recline more than sit at a 90° angle.
    The more I think about it, the more I want to switch them...I'll report back with my findings...sometime this week.
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 05-29-2019 at 02:45 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Dirk, just a thought. Take a thick pillow or two and sit on them. If you find that position a bit more comfortable, you could simply raise the entire driver seat. That is easy and cheap to do. All needed is to unscrew the four bolts, add a bit of spacing between floor and seat, and redo with longer bolts.
    Thank you!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Have you tried a steering wheel knob? Depending on the style, and if you're comfortable driving one handed, it could bring the grip position closer and/or further from the center of the center of the wheel. I hear they're illegal in some places, but I've used them before. I had them on previous cars that both placed the grip closer (to my chest) and further (from the center) making it much more comfortable to hold with my arm on the door arm rest or window sill. The attachment point on those was off center, so I could have also placed it on the inside of the steering wheel. Just yesterday, I got one that doesn't stick out as far and the attachment point is centered over the steering wheel, which would be less of what you're looking for, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll add pics when I get home if I remember. I still have one of the old style on my old Chevy Prizm but I haven't installed my new one on the Mirage yet. I may be busy and distracted tonight, so I'll get to it when I get to it.Name:  20190529_093553.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  81.3 KBWhat I have on my Prizm...probably more to your liking.Name:  20190529_093643.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  86.3 KBWhat I'm going to try on my Mirage...or maybe I'll switch them...I'm also 6' tall and prefer to recline more than sit at a 90° angle.
    Ill try it, going to autozone today