Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: @Top_Fuel, question about refuelling (How are you often adding 31L to a ~28L tank?)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

@Top_Fuel, question about refuelling (How are you often adding 31L to a ~28L tank?)

When looking at the fuel economy logs, I saw that you often manage to refuel 31L (8.2gal) or more. My car says the tank is empty at around 28L (7.4gal), and the 'estimated km left' gauge doesn't express an opinion anymore.

So how do you manage to refuel at 31L or more and never by accident drive it empty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I've noticed the same thing on Speck. It reminds me of the 'reserve' portion of a motorcycle fuel tank - it's a margin of safety.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My car is moderately consistent with fuel mileage. I sort of know how many miles to expect out of a full tank. When the gas gauge starts doing its crazy-blinky mode, I stop paying attention to it and I will flip over to the trip odometer. When my trip mileage goes beyond 400, I start thinking about getting gas because I know I have burned through approximately 8 gallons at that point at roughly 50mpg.

I know that's not very scientific, but it's working for me so far. But now that I've said that, I will probably run it out of gas next time...lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Space Wolf (05-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always fill up around 6.8-7gal.
    I never like to bring it too low.

A habit I learned from a couple mechanic friends, letting it get really low all the time is bad for the fuel pump if it uses the fuel to cool itself off. A lot of fuel pumps are in the tank.
    I'm actually not sure if the Mirage is like that or not but My habit remains.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    A habit I learned from a couple mechanic friends, letting it get really low all the time is bad for the fuel pump if it uses the fuel to cool itself off. A lot of fuel pumps are in the tank.
    I had always heard the same about the fuel pump being in the gas tank, & the fuel cools the pump.

The first time I noticed the final gas bar flashing I was a bit concerned, especially not being near a gas station at the time. I soon realized there's quite a bit of gas still left at that point.

I buy all my milk, butter, eggs, & bread from our local gas chain (Kwik Trip). I find myself stopping for those items more than gas!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I had always heard the same about the fuel pump being in the gas tank, & the fuel cools the pump.

The first time I noticed the final gas bar flashing I was a bit concerned, especially not being near a gas station at the time. I soon realized there's quite a bit of gas still left at that point.

I buy all my milk, butter, eggs, & bread from our local gas chain (Kwik Trip). I find myself stopping for those items more than gas!
    I love Kwik trip. Except how they always ask if there is anything else even after you say this is all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    ...letting it get really low all the time is bad for the fuel pump if it uses the fuel to cool itself off.
    That's absolutely true...letting the fuel tank get down to fumes regularly is not a good idea. With the tank holding 9.2 gallons, I feel comfortable running it down to 8 gallons. When you're putting around like I am with your foot barely on the gas, it's not like the fuel pump is under any type of strain...that's for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's absolutely true...letting the fuel tank get down to fumes regularly is not a good idea. With the tank holding 9.2 gallons, I feel comfortable running it down to 8 gallons. When you're putting around like I am with your foot barely on the gas, it's not like the fuel pump is under any type of strain...that's for sure.
    So you only use 1.2gal before refilling? Lol jk I know what you meant. You end up putting 8gal in. I dont ever think I've put more than 7 some gallons in. I've only seen it blink like two times and am always right near a station when it starts. I usually fill with 2 blocks sometimes 1.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fuel serves more purposes than just providing something for your spark plugs to burn.

Its other purposes include lubricating your fuel pump and keeping it from overheating. If you routinely drive around with a nearly empty tank of gas, you risk premature fuel pump failure.

I rarely let my fuel tank drop below 1/4 of a tank between fill ups.

Put quality gas in your car and don't make a habit of running it dry. Your car will thank you and you might get 250k miles out of your car like me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Fuel serves more purposes than just providing something for your spark plugs to burn.

Its other purposes include lubricating your fuel pump and keeping it from overheating. If you routinely drive around with a nearly empty tank of gas, you risk premature fuel pump failure.

I rarely let my fuel tank drop below 1/4 of a tank between fill ups.

Put quality gas in your car and don't make a habit of running it dry. Your car will thank you and you might get 250k miles out of your car like me.
    You didnt read the thread did you sir lol. Yeah it's been said.