Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: @Top_Fuel, question about refuelling (How are you often adding 31L to a ~28L tank?)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I wouldnt be surprised if we had a 50 page thread about door handles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Our recent discussion was about post #39. Someone is claiming the gas gauge reading is based on - "The fuel gauge is calculated on recent MPG, not tank or overall."

I have never owned a fancy vehicle. All of my vehicles have base trim levels of any brand/model. The Mirage fuel gauge is quite simple & seems quite accurate. The 8 segments on the fuel bar seems to represent approximately 8 gallons of fuel (in a 9.2 gallon fuel tank). I want a fuel gauge to tell me how much gas I have left. That's all I need it to do, & I feel the Mirage fuel gauge does that quite well.
    Please refer to my previous statement.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I would refill more than 32 liters all the time, if I didn't have to drive nearly 140 kilometers to work and back home. So I refill about 29 to 30 liters since it - perhaps - wouldn't last for another day. My record is 32.86 liters.

My other car has a 36 liter tank and the warning light shows up at the same time as in the Space Star, after 28 liters burnt. But I already refilled 34.88 liters in that car and therefore know, it will bring me back home the next day even with the warning light on for 25 kilometers when coming home. A lot of people told me that I will kill my fuel pump. But the car has run over 290000 kilometers now and I will go on like that, reaching more than 1000 kilometers with a tank.

How I can be sure not to run out of fuel? Since I drive very fuel efficient and know the fuel consumption about 0.2 liter / 100 kilometers precise, it's no problem for me to estimate the amount of burnt fuel 0.5 liters exact.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    I would refill more than 32 liters all the time, if I didn't have to drive nearly 140 kilometers to work and back home. So I refill about 29 to 30 liters since it - perhaps - wouldn't last for another day. My record is 32.86 liters.

My other car has a 36 liter tank and the warning light shows up at the same time as in the Space Star, after 28 liters burnt. But I already refilled 34.88 liters in that car and therefore know, it will bring me back home the next day even with the warning light on for 25 kilometers when coming home. A lot of people told me that I will kill my fuel pump. But the car has run over 290000 kilometers now and I will go on like that, reaching more than 1000 kilometers with a tank.

How I can be sure not to run out of fuel? Since I drive very fuel efficient and know the fuel consumption about 0.2 liter / 100 kilometers precise, it's no problem for me to estimate the amount of burnt fuel 0.5 liters exact.

I am not clear on what you are asking, but our 9.2 gallon tank here would equal about 34.8 liters.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

Are Mitsubishi Mirages a rare sight in Germany?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I usually fill up when the entire LED module flashes. At that point I have a little more than a gallon of fuel left, if I remember correctly.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The Space Star (local name for the Mirage in Europe) is a quite common car in Germany because it is the cheapest car available, more reliable than most others and only some hybrids and the Suzuki Celerio (which is even smaller and more expensive) are more fuel efficient.

@Mark: I don´t ask anything, only describe my point of view about damaging the fuel pump. And yes, 9.8 gallon comply with 35 liters and that´s what the technical data says for the Space Star.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    The Space Star (local name for the Mirage in Europe) is a quite common car in Germany because it is the cheapest car available, more reliable than most others and only some hybrids and the Suzuki Celerio (which is even smaller and more expensive) are more fuel efficient.

@Mark: I don´t ask anything, only describe my point of view about damaging the fuel pump. And yes, 9.8 gallon comply with 35 liters and that´s what the technical data says for the Space Star.
    Since it is a small gas tank compare to some other cars, less gas may keep the fuel pump submerged more than a larger tank near empty. I usually fill up with 1-2 segments left, & that is 6-7 gallons of gas needed to refill. If someone knows how much gas is needed to submerge the pump, that would be good to know. It probably wouldn't change what I do, however.

Sounds like the Mirage competes well in the German market. I felt the best review of the 2017 Mirage was done by a German who was kind of enough to do it in both German & English. It was very thorough & well done. I actually ended up buying the exact same car (grey color, 1.2 L engine, 5 speed manual) he reviewed.

I've got a tank and pump on the floor right now, it looks like you need about 1/2 tank to fully submerge the actual pump. I'll try to get a decent pic in a bit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2020),Pryme (05-21-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've got a tank and pump on the floor right now, it looks like you need about 1/2 tank to fully submerge the actual pump. I'll try to get a decent pic in a bit.
    Dang, so anything less than half a tank of gas is putting strain on the fuel pump? Thats good to know!