Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: @Top_Fuel, question about refuelling (How are you often adding 31L to a ~28L tank?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Dang, so anything less than half a tank of gas is putting strain on the fuel pump? Thats good to know!
    Not exactly. Depending on its design, most pumps are cooled (and lubricated) by the fluid being pumped.

Does anyone know the Mirage fuel system pressure? It can't be too high.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-21-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    most pumps are cooled (and lubricated) by the fluid being pumped.
    Does all pumped fuel go to the engine? Or is a part flowing back to the tank? On a out-of-town road my car uses a whopping 3L/h, so if that's the only cooling, the pump can't produce much heat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Does all pumped fuel go to the engine? Or is a part flowing back to the tank?
    The fuel pump delivers about 47 psi to the fuel injector rail. The fuel pump has a pressure regulator built in the the fuel pump module located inside the fuel tank. I presume any extra pressure is simply spilled back inside the tank.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-22-2019 at 12:58 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I only see 2 lines on the fuel pump assembly. One supply line that goes to the engine and another one that looks like a vent? I never looked that close before, maybe it is a return line. I've seen some returnless systems before older Mustangs, I believe they varied voltage to the fuel pump to help regulate or raise pressure as needed.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a vent line that goes to the vapor canister.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've got a tank and pump on the floor right now, it looks like you need about 1/2 tank to fully submerge the actual pump. I'll try to get a decent pic in a bit.
    Keep in mind, the pump won’t be submerged with that small amount of gas should you go up a hill or have a sudden burst of acceleration.

Fortunately our pumps have a built in baffle to prevent it from starving, but I still don’t like the idea of running a tank that low.

Avoiding a very low tank of gas and using high quality fuel is an easy way to get long life out of a fuel pump.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

all the way to zero

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    When looking at the fuel economy logs, I saw that you often manage to refuel 31L (8.2gal) or more. My car says the tank is empty at around 28L (7.4gal), and the 'estimated km left' gauge doesn't express an opinion anymore.

So how do you manage to refuel at 31L or more and never by accident drive it empty?
    I ran it straight outta fuel. lemme tell you it's pretty easy to push. thankfully i was right outside a gas station. it took just over 9.1 gallons to fill it back up. my gauge constantly flashes like it's totally empty for over a gallon. i'm not a fan of this because the gauge becomes useless at that point. i'd rather know zero means zero than guess how many more commutes i can sneak in before the thing dies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pantherblue For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherblue
    it took just over 9.1 gallons to fill it back up. my gauge constantly flashes like it's totally empty for over a gallon. i'm not a fan of this because the gauge becomes useless at that point. i'd rather know zero means zero than guess how many more commutes i can sneak in before the thing dies.
    It's good to know that every drop can be burned! I did the same experiment(unintentionally) with my first car. Had to push it half a mile down the highway to get to a gas station in my case.

I too wish zero was zero too but with some intelligence the digital fuel gauge is useful as is. The flashing fuel gauge appears to commence at exactly 29 litres(7.66 gallons) burned. I think its safe to stretch the tank then 1 gallon past the blinky guage. Just note the mile it starts blinking and add your tank average mpg to that and get gas then.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherblue View Post
    I ran it straight outta fuel. lemme tell you it's pretty easy to push. thankfully i was right outside a gas station. it took just over 9.1 gallons to fill it back up. my gauge constantly flashes like it's totally empty for over a gallon. i'm not a fan of this because the gauge becomes useless at that point. i'd rather know zero means zero than guess how many more commutes i can sneak in before the thing dies.
    I personally think it's one of the better gas gauges that I've ever seen on a car. Mine seems to be quite accurate. The 8 segments appear to represent 1 gallon of gas each. When the last segment disappears, you know about 1.2 gallons are left.

I like my Mirage to much to do what you do. What's gained by running your car empty and putting an extra strain on your fuel pump? I don't mean to be critical, but I see no wisdom in that at all? On a positive note, you proved it's an approximately 9.2 gallon gas tank!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    What's gained by running your car empty and putting an extra strain on your fuel pump? I don't mean to be critical, but I see no wisdom in that at all?
    Speaking for myself at least it's pathological. I'd rather get more out of each tank, they made the tank so small on us after all, I want to use every bit of it you know. I've heard the fuel pump thing but think it's largely exaggerated or outdated. But I live in a flat area where I can consciously stay light on the gas reducing strain. If I had to contend with mountains or steep hills there would be more reason to worry for sure.

Still more, I stretch my tanks mostly when I'm waiting for an anticipated drop in price to happen. If I save $0.80 a tank waiting for a 10 cent drop in price each time... Call it penny wise pound foolish if you want but with ebay fuel pumps available for $12, after surviving 15 low tanks the fuel pump effectively is paying me. Running bone dry is certainly not worth it, for the push to the gas station alone.