Thread: Fuel tank shape

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Fuel tank shape

When you look at my fuel log, you'll see it contains some spikes which are compensated by a low following tank. Obviously a tank which was not filled up completely.

Today I refueled, and I could only put 23L in it. Can't be I thought, and tried hard to get some extra in it, but it was really filled to the rim. That turned out to be 29km/L, (68.2mpg). That's not very likely. When I assume a more likely 24km/l (56.5mpg), I should have filled 27.9L (which was also what my fuel gauge implied). Then I am missing 4.9L, 1.3gal.

So I wonder, what's the shape of the fuel tank. Is it possible that it contains an air bubble of 4.9L, when it's on a slight slope? What's your opinion?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I always fill at the slowest possible setting and stop at the first shutoff. No topping off. Imperfect but consistent. Here in Oregon no self service for fuel so I always have to tell the attendant to not fill it with the nozzle wide open.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I would imagine that different fuel pump equipment has a big impact on this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Today I refueled, and I could only put 23L in it. Can't be I thought, and tried hard to get some extra in it, but it was really filled to the rim.
    Trying to get extra fuel in your tank does come at a risk. Scotty Kilmer can explain it better than I can. If interested, the attached clip is only 1.5 minutes in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igE14GMhr5Y

I've been guilty of topping off my gas tanks, but I no longer do that after I saw this clip.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-05-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Sorry, but Scotty Kilmer act like an idiot in every video. That altitude and bad explanation telling that he want to sound right and collect views on YT. Very smart engineers spend a lot of time to design cars that can be used by guys like Scotty, who never heard for a one-way valve, a level-valve when car is tilted and that vapour can be collected on highest point of the fuel system.
    Here is tank shape and EVAP system diagram. It is safe to fill until you spill on cap, like in every other car ever.
    There is space for air inside every tank, so after filling last few liters very slow to avoid foam, I tilted it and got liter more.
    Old systems without EVAP uses filler cap to release pressure, ours use D, I and J for that.
    Name:  Screenshot_9.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_8.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  71.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_7.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_6.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  52.5 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_10.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  77.6 KB
    Last edited by Rockabilly Manta; 05-06-2019 at 07:22 AM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rockabilly Manta For This Useful Post:

daleWV (05-06-2019),Eggman (05-06-2019),inuvik (05-06-2019),Marklovski (05-06-2019),Space Wolf (05-06-2019),timw4mail (05-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Scotty may not go into the level of detail necessary to fully explain Evaporative Emission Controls, but the bottom line is that he is correct. Repeatedly forcing more fuel into the tank after the pump has kicked off is not a good idea in any modern vehicle. No manufacturer would advise someone to do this. The Mirage owner's manual even states...

When the nozzle stops automatically, do not add more fuel.

Overfilling can cause drive-ability issues...

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Yes, you are right. No reason to refill like me, unless you want precise measuring of mpg and gas station is far away from home. No way to get fuel there because filling it, part F is for that, unless bug nest is in it.
    It is recommended because changing fuel volume during hot days, avoiding spilling fuel in right corners if cap is damaged, sprinkle your clothes and car's paint....
    Purpose for EVAP condensation canister is to collect vapour and condensation of some gases in fuel when engine is off and use it again. When engine is on, it open Purge selenoid and ventilation valve in right moment to use it as 'short nitro' and prevent over pressuring tank by heated fuel or slalom, making in it tiny vacuum.
    Read about old Pogue's vaporized carburettors and why they are secret today, after long carrier in military vehicles. I did a lot of tests successfully, but modern fuel with additives is hard to vaporize as old, so its not worth tu use...

I'm disappointed with filler part F (7), can't use petrol pumps pistols deep enough and full open. It's irritating, I use it like old man his 'tool', half deep, half pressure.
    Last edited by Rockabilly Manta; 05-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly Manta View Post
    Sorry, but Scotty Kilmer act like an idiot in every video. That altitude and bad explanation telling that he want to sound right and collect views on YT. Very smart engineers spend a lot of time to design cars that can be used by guys like Scotty, who never heard for a one-way valve, a level-valve when car is tilted and that vapour can be collected on highest point of the fuel system.
    Here is tank shape and EVAP system diagram. It is safe to fill until you spill on cap, like in every other car ever.
    There is space for air inside every tank, so after filling last few liters very slow to avoid foam, I tilted it and got liter more.
    Old systems without EVAP uses filler cap to release pressure, ours use D, I and J for that.
    I admire Scotty Kilmer for who he is. He offers simple advice from his house or driveway. I find some of his advice to be extremely helpful, but I don't pretend to know everything either. You may not care for Scotty. With over 35,000,000 views in April, however, many don't share your view of him.

Personally, I find Scotty quite refreshing! He repairs cars without a garage to work in. His garage is full of stuff, & he doesn't care. He's not afraid to give his opinion, & he doesn't care what you or I think. He doesn't care what car companies think either. I don't share his opinion on everything, but I do respect his knowledge of cars.

At the same time, I do not respect the very smart engineers that you are referring to at all. There is so much unproven junk on today's market. Where do you think all this junk comes from? Seriously, I am not impressed by one automobile company in the United States right now.

Technology should be making things more reliable than ever, but instead products that don't hold up are being made. Profit trumps reliability. It's really quite sad. I'm sorry, but some companies need to get their act together. The amount of transmission failures I hear about alone is utterly amazing. I don't remember those conversations being that prevalent years ago.

These failures go beyond just CVT problems, too! Our driving school has Ford Focus vehicles that haven't made it to 20,000 miles, & they need major transmission work. I know someone with a Dodge Ram with 55,000 miles on it, & it's on third transmission already. I could go on & on. It's not just CVT transmissions that are failing. Jeep's 9 speed automatics, etc........

In my opinion, vehicles made vast improvements during the 1990's and into the early 2000's. I don't feel that way about today's cars at all. Obviously, some vehicles are better than others.

I feel sorry for anyone who bashes Scotty Kilmer, because life is way to short for that! Seriously, I would lighten up! Scotty shared some really good advice about a bad practice that could cost someone hundreds of dollars in repairs some day. I don't see any harm in that, & it surely doesn't make him look like a idiot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (05-07-2019)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ 1. Scotty Kilmer gets anrgy when you call him out on things he did wrong like not using a jack stand before going under a car.
    2. Popularity doesnt mean quality. The more popular something is, general rule of thumb says it is worse. Especially music, i mean Ken Block is called the best drifter in the world but doesnt actually make the top 1000. Nor is he on the level of European rally drivers.
    3. He's mostly a meme and for people who dont know anything about cars
    4. He says you should never have a turbo on your car
    5. Misinformation, some people easily found parts of Lexus, Mercedes, etc online that were several times cheaper than Scotty said they were such as shocks/struts.

But people will defend who they fanboy over so its no use ever really talking about it here because it'll never end.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-07-2019),Rockabilly Manta (05-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    ^ 1. Scotty Kilmer gets anrgy when you call him out on things he did wrong like not using a jack stand before going under a car.
    2. Popularity doesnt mean quality. The more popular something is, general rule of thumb says it is worse. Especially music, i mean Ken Block is called the best drifter in the world but doesnt actually make the top 1000. Nor is he on the level of European rally drivers.
    3. He's mostly a meme and for people who dont know anything about cars
    4. He says you should never have a turbo on your car
    5. Misinformation, some people easily found parts of Lexus, Mercedes, etc online that were several times cheaper than Scotty said they were such as shocks/struts.

But people will defend who they fanboy over so its no use ever really talking about it here because it'll never end.
    I don't think Scotty Kilmer walks on water, but I am not impressed by people who bash him either. He shares some useful stuff and some pretty useless stuff. To argue otherwise would be silly.

I shared something of his that I thought was useful information. People can do their own research, and then decide if they are going to continue topping off the fuel in their cars.

Just because people, who don't know much about cars, find him interesting or entertaining doesn't make him something bad or terrible. I could have used another source of information on this topic, but I just went to something that I had seen recently. I guess that makes me one of the people you described.

I am not going to pretend to know more about cars than you. You shared some really good points today, & I appreciate that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (05-07-2019),Rockabilly Manta (05-07-2019)