Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan Sentra CVT Failure

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Its crazy to think the same product can be so different in makes and models. I wonder what Mitsu engineers figured out what Nissan/Chevy couldnt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just got an update on this. The Nissan dealer is saying that there are more than 1100 CVTs on national backorder right now. The dealer working on his car is waiting on 5 of them! Apparently Jatco is cranking them out as fast as they can. It will be interesting to see if they install a new or remanufactured CVT in his car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-09-2019),Marklovski (05-09-2019),MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Sad Nissan is more French than Japanese now, explains alot in terms of product reliability. I wish Mitsubishi had the money to go back to being independent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sad Nissan is more French than Japanese now, explains alot in terms of product reliability. I wish Mitsubishi had the money to go back to being independent.
    Fiat has done nothing but hurt Chrysler/Jeep's image. Not that it was great before the merger.

Likewise, Renault has done very little for Nissan's image.

I fear the same for the merger of Mitsubishi with Renault/Nissan.

I don't expect great things coming from all this, but I hope that I am wrong.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-09-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    15 years ago I'd never own a Kia. I've been driving her car since the fall, it's decent I guess. No problems yet, except for the ones cause by running into curbs and potholes. Don't see many Micra's around, Mirages and Fiats seem more common out here I find. Don't see many g4's though.
    I had the opposite opinion of KIA even years ago. My brand new 1990 Ford Festiva was an indestructible little economy car. Paid $5300 brand new. The best bang for your buck vehicle I ever purchased. Festiva was designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford. My experience with that car was nothing but positive!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-09-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sentra uses the same CVT7 as our Mirage correct?
    Not according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ahh the CVT7 is a newer design. Good. I often forget about the "internet effect" of folks way more likely to post about their car problems than sing praise. I used to worry alot about Jatco CVTs but after realizing that Nissans are everywhere and theres a reason for that. Jatco, Nissan, or Mitsubishi simply wouldnt be in business if there was catastrophic evidence across the board, that premature failure was eminent. I forget that for every Altima owner with a crapped out @ 30k mile CVT theres a hundred owners with 185k miles and dont even realize what kind of tranny they have.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2019),inuvik (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    UPDATE - The new CVT is in and he is reporting that it drives 1000% better than before. He said the car can actually accelerate normally now...whereas before you would pull out into traffic, step on the accelerator, and hope the car would start moving before you got rear-ended!

According to the dealer, Nissan is installing re-manufactured Jatco CVTs...not new ones. I figure that's not a bad thing...especially if Jatco has figured out which parts need to be upgraded to permanently fix the problem. I'm not sure if any reprogramming of the transmission control module was part of the process.

The replacement CVT comes with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty from the dealer. Then his third-party extended warranty will cover it beyond that. We'll see how long it holds up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-06-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    UPDATE - The new CVT is in and he is reporting that it drives 1000% better than before. He said the car can actually accelerate normally now...whereas before you would pull out into traffic, step on the accelerator, and hope the car would start moving before you got rear-ended!

According to the dealer, Nissan is installing re-manufactured Jatco CVTs...not new ones. I figure that's not a bad thing...especially if Jatco has figured out which parts need to be upgraded to permanently fix the problem. I'm not sure if any reprogramming of the transmission control module was part of the process.

The replacement CVT comes with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty from the dealer. Then his third-party extended warranty will cover it beyond that. We'll see how long it holds up.
    God I would kill to see Nissan/Mitsu corporate notes on premature CVT failure rates on their various models. See if Mitsu % of failure are lower.