Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used Mirage........

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Buying a used Mirage........

What should I be looking for specifically on the Mirages if I am going to buy a used one? I know I will buy a Carfax, and I have bought many cars and work on my own, but I have never bought a used car with a CVT in it. Since the engine has a chain for the cams (no timing belt to change) and I know what to look for on other items, just wanted to ask the people that own one already what to look for. Buying a car for my daughter and since I own all Mitsu's a Mirage might be a good first car for her. I am eying a 2015 with 58,000 miles on it for 6k.

Rob

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    My comments about buying a used Mirage are only going to address alignment issues that you need to be aware of. You want to make sure it doesn't have a significant rear wheel alignment problem.

Take a look at all 4 tires. Are they all the same brand and about the same age? Are they all worn fairly evenly? Are the front or rear tires showing any signs of odd wear patterns? Are there 2 different tires on the rear? If so, why?

The stock tires on a properly-aligned Mirage are probably good for (on average) about 40-45K miles because most people don't rotate them. I would expect a Mirage with 58,000 to have a relatively new set of tires on it. Ask the owner if the car has ever had an alignment. If so, ask to see the alignment printout. If the car has never had an alignment, that's not a deal-breaker but would make me a bit more cautious.

If the tires are literally brand new, that's good and bad. It's good because they are new, but it's bad because you have no idea if the owner just replaced a set of worn out tires that were destroyed by a car with alignment issues.

When you drive the car, is the steering wheel off-center as you drive down a straight, flat road? If you let go of the steering wheel, does the car immediately drift off to one side? Do you have to constantly keep your hand on the steering wheel to keep the car going straight? If you answered YES to one ore more of these questions, then this car has a potential alignment problem. If the problem is with the rear axle, it could be an expensive ($1,000) issue to correct.

If a used Mirage had obvious symptoms of a rear wheel alignment problem and the owner couldn't produce recent alignment printout, then I would request that the owner go have it aligned or I would walk away. If the car was otherwise perfect, I would have no problem offering to pay for the alignment check myself if it kept me from buying someone else's problem.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about. Why does this 1 year old Mirage with 10,000 miles have 2 new tires? There could be a logical explanation, but this car could also have a serious rear axle alignment problem that wiped out the original rear tires in 10K miles. Carmax couldn't sell me this car without a pre-purchase alignment check.

Name:  ML32A3HJ4JH003011.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  60.4 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-17-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (05-17-2019),El Kapitan (05-17-2019),MetroMPG (05-10-2019),Rockabilly Manta (05-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    All solid advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If a used Mirage had obvious symptoms of a rear wheel alignment problem and the owner couldn't produce recent alignment printout, then I would request that the owner go have it aligned or I would walk away.
    Or ask for a corresponding reduction in price.

Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    I am eying a 2015 with 58,000 miles on it for 6k.
    Something tells me that you can find a better price if you keep looking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

There isn't a lot to go wrong with that kinda mileage.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the trailing axle fear if the car drives straight and doesn't pull. But if you have lots of free time go get the alignment checked if you're really worried. The tires will wear like crap if you don't rotate them often even if the alignment is good so yeah.... I don't see new tires as a bad thing. Some people just don't like selling or driving cars with crappy looking tires. The factory dunlops seem to wear fast and don't last us more than 2 summers.

Check the transmission fluid. If you can, check it cold not running. If it's pitch black then I'd pass on it. To check th actual fluid level is a pita. Gotta get it hot, like drive for 1/2 hr hot so that's probably not gonna happen. They should be ok if no leaks and filled up properly. The fluid should look more like engine oil or dark greenish blue if factory or dealer fluid is in it. Some cvt fluid has a red tint to it too. Dark black, non transparent though isn't too good. Can't go by smell in these things, the cvt fluid smells burnt right from the bottle.

I've seen drivers seats have the foam busted apart on the seat back on the bolsters so you're riding on the metal frame. Something to look for. Could look at the top rear corners of the front bumper where they clip to the fender, if there's a bulge there then the bottom of the rad support has bottomed out and been pushed back. Not a hard fix or deal breaker but makes it a pain to get to the oil filter if nailed hard enough. Something to look for and try to get the price down if you see it.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-07-2019 at 02:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips on the alignment issue, if I look at this car I'll definitely check this. Thanks.

Rob

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There isn't a lot to go wrong with that kinda mileage.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the trailing axle fear if the car drives straight and doesn't pull. But if you have lots of free time go get the alignment checked if you're really worried. The tires will wear like crap if you don't rotate them often even if the alignment is good so yeah.... I don't see new tires as a bad thing. Some people just don't like selling or driving cars with crappy looking tires. The factory dunlops seem to wear fast and don't last us more than 2 summers.

Check the transmission fluid. If you can, check it cold not running. If it's pitch black then I'd pass on it. To check th actual fluid level is a pita. Gotta get it hot, like drive for 1/2 hr hot so that's probably not gonna happen. They should be ok if no leaks and filled up properly. The fluid should look more like engine oil or dark greenish blue if factory or dealer fluid is in it. Some cvt fluid has a red tint to it too. Dark black, non transparent though isn't too good. Can't go by smell in these things, the cvt fluid smells burnt right from the bottle.

I've seen drivers seats have the foam busted apart on the seat back on the bolsters so you're riding on the metal frame. Something to look for. Could look at the top rear corners of the front bumper where they clip to the fender, if there's a bulge there then the bottom of the rad support has bottomed out and been pushed back. Not a hard fix or deal breaker but makes it a pain to get to the oil filter if nailed hard enough. Something to look for and try to get the price down if you see it.
    Yes, the CVT fluid is the biggest concern for me, even though changing it on this car looks easy. Funny thing is on my '18 Eclipse Cross the CVT fluid is nearly clear and has no smell, and only has 4900 miles on it.

Yeah it's clear on the Mirages when new as well. I don't remember smelling the oil when new but I know it's rank from the bottle. It doesn't stay clear for too long though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    might be a good first car for her. I am eying a 2015 with 58,000 miles on it for 6k.

Rob
    Honestly, if I was buying this car for my kid as their first car, 2 things to consider: size, and power. The mirage is tiny, so a pro-active and skilled driver that reacts before anything helps more than a novice for this car. Like the Mirage is so small doesn't always show up. Not much power either, for highway like freeway driving a bigger car is better. I just had a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV rental 3300 km's on it, for 5 days on the Alberta freeway much better or suitable.

My Mirage 5+ years my ownership since new day one and B+ reliable, and a first year import Mirage. My dark grey paint doesn't show up on the roads with the lights off even in the day.The headlights are above average, same with airbags etc. handling of the car even, above average in a Mitsubishi I feel. Drives like an arrow and light as a feather steering and car, roars on hills, no not really but the car is so light you notice.

One of the current magazine reviews I checked out at the Airport magazine variety store early today says the 2019 Mirage is "tiny and tinny."

Reliability was a yellow green circle, so I think that means good, the Santa Fe got all green for great.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-10-2019 at 12:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the tips on the alignment issue, if I look at this car I'll definitely check this. Thanks.
    Please let us know what you ultimately decide.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    When Im on the highway doing 80mph I treat my Mirage like a Motorcycle, constantly scanning for danger. Im a much more defensive, alert driver aftet getting my Mirage. It could instill good driving technique in a teenager early on.