Thread: Anyone own an original Honda Insight anymore?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone own an original Honda Insight anymore?

So I randomly got an email from insightcentral forum and forgot I was a member there. Turns out I was lol from early 2006!!! It was fun reading my old posts all these years later. I was close to getting one back then but never pulled the trigger due to two seats not being enough for my only car.

Anyone have one? I haven't seen one in forever. One of the only cars that crush a mirages mileage

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    By best friend in college owned one. He used to let me borrow it to deliver pizzas when my ride was in the shop. Great car. Felt like I was Deckard from Blade Runner in that thing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We actually have three Insights in the local area that AUTOCROSS! One is mostly stock with suspension mods and the CVT trans. It's absurdly slow (slower than my Mirage,and that's saying something!), but handles well. One is completely stock with a bad battery pack... it's even slower, but the kid has an absolute blast driving it! The third one is "K swapped". No longer a hybrid. It's actually fairly quick, but still has stock suspension under it with worn out shocks.

I know what you mean about "old forum presence". I occasionally find myself searching Google for some random information and finding MY OWN answers somewhere... with no recollection of ever having typed it... or even ever having known that information!
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I still have one in the garage. The transmission is out to fix the 2nd gear grinding issue they have. It's a very fun car for mpg nerds like myself.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of the lawyers where I work has one - he commutes 100 miles every day.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

coolest car I've owned*

I had a 2000 Insight 5-speed for a couple of years. Bought it used, modified it to get even crazier MPG than stock. That car is the fuel economy nerd's Ferrari!

Mine had a "dead" battery pack that was throwing codes (so I got the car for a song). I disassembled the pack and re-balanced the cells, and it didn't throw any codes after that. However, I babied that pack, doing most of my driving with assist disabled (with full disclosure to the guy who bought it from me later).

My very first fill up was 2.77 L/100 km / 84.9 mpg (US) . It only got better from there with mods & learning how to drive it.

Not bad for a dead hybrid!

Later on, once modified, 100+ mpg US round trips were routine in warm weather.

Name:  tail-wrapped-collage.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  tail-wrapped-profile.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  57.2 KB

MetroMPG's Honda Insight boat tail extension (cardboard) tuft video; ABA test +9.7%

109 mpg round trip over ~380 km (in ideal weather conditions).

I ended up getting rid of it because I don't drive enough -- a hybrid with a weak pack that needs to be driven regularly to keep the pack in good health isn't an ideal car for me. (I had the stuff to make a grid charger, but never built it.)

Coolest (* production) car I've ever owned!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2019),Pryme (05-10-2019),Scratchpaddy (05-11-2019)