Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear tires are wearing - what should I do? (Split thread)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Rear tires are wearing - what should I do? (Split thread)

I can tell my rear tires are wearing out on the outside edges, def toe problem. I bet they'll deny my warranty claim because Im a subsequent owner, the previous owner kept no records, and I got 2 months left on my warranty. Looks like its cheap $40 175 65 R14 rear tires for me every 2 years lol. Ah well it could be worse I suppose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I can tell my rear tires are wearing out on the outside edges, def toe problem. I bet they'll deny my warranty claim because Im a subsequent owner, the previous owner kept no records, and I got 2 months left on my warranty. Looks like its cheap $40 175 65 R14 rear tires for me every 2 years lol. Ah well it could be worse I suppose.
    Why don't you take your Mirage to your favorite dealer and ask them about it rather than assume it wouldn't be covered?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Gotta watch the heater cores on the '14-'15 models as well. Drive the car for a while, crank the heat to the max, and set the controls to the dash vents.

Note the temperature of the air coming out of the passenger side and driver's side vents. If there is a big difference, chances are you have a partially plugged core. PITA to replace, but it doesn't look like you live somewhere cold. Might be good for a discount, though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Gotta watch the heater cores on the '14-'15 models as well. Drive the car for a while, crank the heat to the max, and set the controls to the dash vents.

Note the temperature of the air coming out of the passenger side and driver's side vents. If there is a big difference, chances are you have a partially plugged core. PITA to replace, but it doesn't look like you live somewhere cold. Might be good for a discount, though.
    Ill check it out today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I can tell my rear tires are wearing out on the outside edges, def toe problem.
    Don't just sit there...if you have under 60,000 miles on the car, go get it checked out! I don't think anyone has ever been denied a rear axle warranty claim because they didn't have oil change receipts. You could be throwing money out the window when a free fix is available. Go find a place that does free alignment checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Gotta watch the heater cores on the '14-'15 models as well.
    Yeah...I can't believe I forgot about that problem. That's probably going to be an ongoing issue for people living in really cold winter climates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    When I first purchased the car 3 months ago I did an alignment at the dealership for $50. They said they had to correct a toe issue. If they knew full well I had a bad rear axle and said nothing Im going to be pissed. Also how long does it take on average for dealerships to correct this type of warranty work? I hope they do loaner cars.......

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Called the dealership. Service guy claimed theyve never had to replace a rear axle. Couldnt even tell me if it would be covered under my warranty because in his words "Subsequent owner warranties are wonky." Couldnt tell me how long my ride would be in the shop or if Id get a loaner car. All he could tell me is if they check it and decide its not under warranty Im still out $100 for the diagnostic. Unbelievable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Called the dealership. Service guy claimed theyve never had to replace a rear axle. Couldnt even tell me if it would be covered under my warranty because in his words "Subsequent owner warranties are wonky." Couldnt tell me how long my ride would be in the shop or if Id get a loaner car. All he could tell me is if they check it and decide its not under warranty Im still out $100 for the diagnostic. Unbelievable.
    Find a different dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I wouldn't use a dealer first. I would have an independent place check your alignment. If good, move on to something else. If not, take it to a dealer. Play dumb & see what they say first. Then request a new rear axle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't use a dealer first. I would have an independent place check your alignment.
    Agreed. Sometimes you have to spend a little money to save some money. In this case, it could potentially save you a lot of money.

I've said this before but I'll repeat it. Service Advisors aren't technicians. Often times they don't know what they are talking about. I'm not saying they are all worthless...but enough certainly are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-09-2019)