Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rear tires are wearing - what should I do? (Split thread)

I really think the easiest fix is bring it to me. I'll trade you the car for a case of beers.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really think the easiest fix is bring it to me. I'll trade you the car for a case of beers.
    Fummins come down to Atlanta man Im serious. Bring your lady, borrow one of your Mirages to save on fuel costs. You can stay with me and my girl. We got plenty of room. Youd love Atlanta in the summertime, plenty to do. I got room n board and meals covered for yall. Plus Im making you chief with me good sir.

Thanks but that's gonna have to be a hard no for right now. We've got 3 kids under 10 and a big retarded dog who licks his tools all the time and has terrible breath. Leaving the dog to watch this kids for that long might be frowned upon by some people and a Mirage might be a little tight with the entire tribe in there. Would be cool to make a trip one year after we replace the Armada with something less thirsty and do the Disney World thing.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Those tires look like they were underinflated for most of their life, but to my untrained eye look to have normal wear.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those tires were worn down on another vehicle before being installed on your Mirage. Just a guess.
    That does kinda look like underinflation wear...at least to some degree. I was thinking the same thing. Also, it is possible that these tires were on the front for most of this car's recent mileage, two new tires were installed on the front, and these tires went from front to rear? Also impossible to know how the car was driven before you had it...some of that odd wear could have been driver-induced.

I'd start with four fresh tires and see how things go from there. Your alignment isn't bad at all. Barely in-spec, but in-spec nonetheless. I have seen some Mirages with rear alignment so bad that it is plainly visible to the naked eye!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-17-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That does kinda look like underinflation wear...at least to some degree. I was thinking the same thing. Also, it is possible that these tires were on the front for most of this car's recent mileage, two new tires were installed on the front, and these tires went from front to rear? Also impossible to know how the car was driven before you had it...some of that odd wear could have been driver-induced.

I'd start with four fresh tires and see how things go from there. Your alignment isn't bad at all. Barely in-spec, but in-spec nonetheless. I have seen some Mirages with rear alignment so bad that it is plainly visible to the naked eye!
    Thanks man! Your guidance is always appreciated. I figure Ill ride around on the Firestones till my warranty expires in July and switch to cheap $30 175s I saw at Walmart. I just hope that will help with tire/road noise. I could care less about the speedometer and mpg being thrown off by a small %.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks man! Your guidance is always appreciated. I figure Ill ride around on the Firestones till my warranty expires in July and switch to cheap $30 175s I saw at Walmart. I just hope that will help with tire/road noise. I could care less about the speedometer and mpg being thrown off by a small %.
    I think you are safe if you getting your tires from Walmart, but I bought a set of super cheap tires from Pep Boys a couple years ago that were so bad I had to throw them away. Why? They were actually out-of-round from the factory!

The tires were "Vee Rubber CityStar V2s". The guys at Sears who installed my replacement Goodyears told me they replace this model of tire all the time.

Their nickname for them is "Sh!ttyStars"!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    But think how much I'll save haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I think you are safe if you getting your tires from Walmart, but I bought a set of super cheap tires from Pep Boys a couple years ago that were so bad I had to throw them away. Why? They were actually out-of-round from the factory!

The tires were "Vee Rubber CityStar V2s". The guys at Sears who installed my replacement Goodyears told me they replace this model of tire all the time.

Their nickname for them is "Sh!ttyStars"!
    You think there could be a marked improvement over handling and cabin noise with the 175 65 R14?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You think there could be a marked improvement over handling and cabin noise with the 175 65 R14?
    That depends on how many corners were cut by the tire manufacturer.

You get what you pay for?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That depends on how many corners were cut by the tire manufacturer.

You get what you pay for?
    Very true. Maybe Ill spring for the $50 dollar 175s.