Thread: Custom Exhaust/Muffler

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Custom Exhaust/Muffler

Now that the car is both over a year old and finally received its first paint scratch, I've decided that it's time to modify. I'm not going crazy on this car, simple bolt ons and suspension/wheels. I'm a big fan of Initial D and always kind of liked concept of a car being able to corner fast enough to make up for being underpowered.

So with that out of the way, I plan on making a custom exhaust. I've got a header currently on route to me, and I'm still piecing everything together so this is gonna take a bit of time but I'm going to post pictures of the build. What I want to do is post measurements, part numbers, sound clips and pictures so that anyone wanting a custom Exhaust can gst access to one with minimal skills.

The goal is a complete header back that can be made for $100 or less. Perk of where I work is I can get things cheaper and have access to a lot of car parts. My goal is to only spend about 60 bucks at my cost.

So the initial plan is:
    -1.5 inch diameter.
    -Slip fit type couplings with minimal welding
    One resonator/muffler near factory location under the middle of car.
    -I only have access to an AC 110v Arc Welder, aside from the flange to the header, I will only be doing spot/tack welds just to prevent the slip fits from coming apart.

I'll begin posting pictures up in the following weeks, measurements and whatever else. Once it's complete and I'm happy with it I'll post up a final revision along with part numbers, where to buy, approx cost.

Before I begin though, the first snag I've come across is sourcing a 1.5" muffler. What I'm looking for is something approx 24inch length glass pack style (straight through resonated). My first iteration will use this only, mounted under the center of the car like the factory. If this is too raspy/loud ill add a second muffler probably near the factory rear mount area.

If anyone could help me find a resonator or muffler though in 1.5" diameter I would be greatly appreciative. So far the only thing I've found is a Walker tractor muffler on Summit that would work but I'm concerned about weight and if it's got any sound absorbent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Go ahead and run 1.75". For your resonator, you could even go with a 2".

My experience indicates that you'll open up a lot of usable torque with larger piping at the slight expense of some high-end HP. If it's a street car, you'll enjoy the torque more. Plus, the low end gains cover a MUCH larger RPM range than the high-end loss that is literally ABOVE 6,000 rpm.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rmance-Exhaust

Simplify and add lightness.