Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage develops scenic duck pond on rear floor in the rain

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage develops scenic duck pond on rear floor in the rain

My 2017 Mirage hatch came with a bonus, unlisted feature I thought I'd share with you guys.

When it rains, an incredible amount of perfectly good water appears on my rear passenger floor, at absolutely no cost to myself. Unfortunately, I can neither use my back seat as a relaxing park, nor can I relax and park the car when weather shows up. So I suppose I'm going to have to fix it.

I'm not sure when the problem started. I first noticed that the carpet under my WeatherTech mats was soaking wet last year, but as I drive Lyft I just assumed it was the cumulative water from the shoes of 50 passengers a day for an entire rainy week. This week, though, was only delivery for me and it's happened again. This time I noticed that the plastic cover protecting the seat belt from passenger feet was actually full of standing water, so it looks like it's getting in through the B pillar? But that doesn't make sense. I've been in no accidents, and the doors and windows close securely. It's not coming from the front passenger seat, so that rules out heater core and I guess it rules out the AC drain as well. There doesn't seem to be any path from the door seals to the inside of the B pillar, though, so I'm not sure WTF is going on.

Ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 81.Chevette For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-13-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Is it possible that rain comes in via the antenna hole, and then runs over the ceiling covering to the B pillar? If your antenna is on the rear of the roof that's not very likely, but my antenna is on front.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm stumped. I can't recall any other reports of floor puddles caused by rain.

I'd be curious to know what a thorough visual inspection reveals. You say you use your Mirage for ride sharing. Do you suppose one of the weather seals around one of your doors had been damaged? How about your floors - is there any possibility that a drain plug was removed? Meaning this water can be coming up from below as well as from above.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 81.Chevette View Post
    Ideas?
    Are your roll downs in the back rolled up all the way? I so rarely use mine that once I left one back window just slightly opened and some water came in, and you could barely tell the window was opened a crack.

Did someone really slam one of the back doors?

If the door is out and not "level" could cause the leak, things aren't lining up. Usually it's a sign the car has been in an accident.

I'd be taking this issue to a door expert, water isn't good for the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You may need to do a little detective work. I'd dry everything out, and then remove the rear carpet (or secure it up to expose the rear floors). Then sit inside the car in the back seat with the doors closed while someone runs water around each door opening and/or B-pillar. If that much water is coming in, you should see where it's coming from.

I had a stubborn trunk leak in the past with another car. Finally I did this test as I was closed in the trunk with a flashlight. It turned out I had a bad seal around one of my tail-lights.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why are you guys recommending he take all his carpet out and all that? He has a warranty on his car, take it in lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Why are you guys recommending he take all his carpet out and all that? He has a warranty on his car, take it in lol
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the warranty is up for 81.Chevette.

Edit: I was wrong - he got a replacement 2017.

I'm a man, and I just bought my second Mirage.

In fact, my entire driving history:
    1986 Chevette
    1988 Beretta (worst car I've ever been in)
    1996 Civic
    1981 Chevette
    1982 Chevette
    2010 Accent
    2014 Mirage
    2017 Mirage

I guess I just like the little hatchbacks.
    Hey 81.Chevette, please make a new Garage entry: add car

I forget the entry limit, but it is possible to have more than one forum Garage entry. Like in this thread, it is helpful for us to know what you are driving.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

If the car has ac the first thing I'd check is the drain tube at the bottom of the heater box that goes through the firewall, below the glove box. Apparently it gets kicked off easily then it'll drain water behind the carpet and will eventually end up in the back foot well.

Edit: nvm, I just read the rest of the original post. But still worth checking the ac drain if you haven't already. Water will travel to the back and get trapped there when you drive. The floor isn't flat. Every winter I see rear floors soaked in cars just caused from the drivers packing snow in the car from boots and never emptying the floormats out.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

My 2017 Mirage hatch came with a bonus, unlisted feature I thought I'd share with you guys.

When it rains, an incredible amount of perfectly good water appears on my rear passenger floor, at absolutely no cost to myself. Unfortunately, I can neither use my back seat as a relaxing park, nor can I relax and park the car when weather shows up. So I suppose I'm going to have to fix it.

I'm not sure when the problem started. I first noticed that the carpet under my WeatherTech mats was soaking wet last year, but as I drive Lyft I just assumed it was the cumulative water from the shoes of 50 passengers a day for an entire rainy week. This week, though, was only delivery for me and it's happened again. This time I noticed that the plastic cover protecting the seat belt from passenger feet was actually full of standing water, so it looks like it's getting in through the B pillar? But that doesn't make sense. I've been in no accidents, and the doors and windows close securely. It's not coming from the front passenger seat, so that rules out heater core and I guess it rules out the AC drain as well. There doesn't seem to be any path from the door seals to the inside of the B pillar, though, so I'm not sure WTF is going on.

Ideas?
    Did you ever get this figured out? I just re-noticed the line for the rear washer runs inside the car along the rh door sills. That's the lowest spot in the line and will always have fluid in it. Maybe it got pinched and cut under the door sill somewhere?

I'd try to fix it myself, the dealership I've dealt with has terrible service and I wouldn't trust them to change a light bulb let alone properly complete a job that entails any type of thought process or trouble shooting.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-17-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Me no likey dealerships
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still haven't figured it out, unfortunately. I tried running the A/C when it was hot as hell the last couple of days, but I just COULD NOT STAND the hit to acceleration. I'm basically never in my car unless speed equals profit, so I have limited opportunity to do testing. I really need to just park and hose it down, but I haven't gotten the chance yet.