Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Stock Dunlops=never again

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts

    Stock Dunlops=never again

    Well, like many people on this forum, I haven't had a great experience with the stock tires. I bought my Mirage used with 13,500 miles. It had two brand new Enasaves in the rear (and the fronts we're original), and after fighting with the dealership they agreed to replace the rear axle due to alignment issues.

    So I've had the car nearly 3 years. Two years ago one Enasave went flat, and I had the leak repaired. One year ago another went flat, and I had that one repaired too.

    Two weeks ago something sounded funny, and I found this:Name:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  94.3 KBName:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  94.3 KB

    I hadn't hit any potholes, and the wheel had no damage only the tire has that sudden, mysterious bulge. So in less than 3 years, that is three of 4 tires either getting leaks or getting a baseball-size sidewall bulge.

    Then Tuesday this week I went out to the car and had another flat tire. It was one of the previously repaired tires, but this time it had a hole in the sidewall. Ugh!

    Overall I thought the treadwear was okay. The two original tires had 53,000 miles and were near the wear bars, but still hanging in there. The two tires that we're new when I bought the car had around 40,000 and lots of life left. But three of four tires developing leaks and/or sidewall damage within 3 years is unacceptable. I've never owned a set of tires that had this many problems. There's no way i'd feel safe buying another set of these.

    The gas mileage was good, but for $115/tire and needing to repair them/replace them so early, how could this be a good value? Realistically, when viewing Tire Rack tests for LRR tires, you could maybe expect 2-3% better fuel economy with a LLR tire, which might save a person $20-30/year in fuel costs. Given how expensive and unreliable this tire has been for me, some of those $50-60 non-LRR value tires with 70,000 mileage ratings seem like an awfully good bargain.


    Last edited by emki; 05-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to emki For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (05-13-2019)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,034
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 106 Times in 93 Posts
    I totally agree. Im switching to $30 walmart 175 65 R14 as soon as my Firestones start crapping out. I dont have a choice because Mitsubishi wont warranty work my back axle.

  4. #3
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,986
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I totally agree. Im switching to $30 walmart 175 65 R14 as soon as my Firestones start crapping out.
    Looking for new tires? Be sure to look at this chart I made comparing various models of the stock size:

    Tire Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I dont have a choice because Mitsubishi wont warranty work my back axle.
    That's because your rear axle alignment is within specifications. You really ought to let that go.

    If you really just can't stand it you can still get it replaced. I understand the replacement axle assemblies are around $500 online.

    Axle Assembly - Mitsubishi (4120A150)

    Quote Originally Posted by MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com
    List Price: $720.00
    You Save: $190.80 (27% off)
    Sale Price: $529.20
    And while you're at it you can install the stiffer springs for 2017 & up.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-12-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added link and price quote for replacement axle.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    emki (05-15-2019),MetroMPG (05-13-2019)

  6. #4
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,034
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 106 Times in 93 Posts
    Let it go? My alignment guy said its still faulty and still going to unnecessarily eat away at my tires and wallet. As a subsequent owner my claim wasnt seen as important. I love my Mirage but that would leave a sour taste in anyone's mind. And I trust my personal mechanic, who Ive done business with for years over an underwriter trying to save money for Mitsubishi. Eggman your a journalist correct? I would expect you to champion the cause of the little guy vs big auto my friend? You write for Jalopnik? Maybe that would be a juicy expose? "Big Auto and its underhanded warranty repair practices" Id read it bro. You'd be sticking it to the man lol. Make Woodward & Bernstein proud.

  7. #5
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,986
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,192 Posts
    I'll reply through PM, but I'm no journalist.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  8. #6
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 647 Posts
    Several people on this forum have experienced sidewall bubbles on their Enasaves. When you read Enasave reviews at other websites, there are usually a few people complaining of similar experiences.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.9 mpg (Imp)


  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 474 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    The gas mileage was good, but for $115/tire and needing to repair them/replace them so early, how could this be a good value? Realistically, when viewing Tire Rack tests for LRR tires, you could maybe expect 2-3% better fuel economy with a LLR tire, which might save a person $20-30/year in fuel costs. Given how expensive and unreliable this tire has been for me, some of those $50-60 non-LRR value tires with 70,000 mileage ratings seem like an awfully good bargain.
    I lost a Dunlop Enasave to a sidewall blowout @ 15,000 miles. No particular reason for it to happen either. In all my years of driving/owning vehicles, I don't remember any other tires being lost prematurely like that. Except for the my 1999 Ford Explorer had its Firestone tires taken from it early, & they were replaced with Goodyear tires (free of charge). We can probably thank that Ford/Firestone relationship for those wonderful TPMS being added all of today's new cars.

    I am presently running Federal SS657 tires up front & a pair of the original Dunlop tires on the back. I don't have much confidence in the Dunlop tires. When I take long trips, I throw a spare snow tire the back of my car. I will feel better once I use up the Dunlop tires.

    I see myself sticking with 165/65-14 tires. So far the Federal SS657 tires seem fine, & I may try out the Vredestein Quatrac 5 (offered @ Tirerack.com) in the future. If these tires become a bust, I will most likely return to Cooper/Mastercraft tires in size 175/65-14.

    Even if Dunlop Enasave tires were $50/each, my money would go elsewhere. Feeling confident about a tire trumps LRR for me.

    One of our highest mileage Mirage members is impressed with Falken tires. With his high mileage, it's hard to argue against these tires.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-si...-tire/51494282

    $44 for a 80,000 mile tread wear tire is a great price. Sidenote however, our factory Dunlop Enasave and Falken tires are both made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI). At least my Dunlop tires have SRI stamped on them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    emki (05-15-2019)

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    Well, like many people on this forum, I haven't had a great experience with the stock tires. I bought my Mirage used with 13,500 miles. It had two brand new Enasaves in the rear (and the fronts we're original), and after fighting with the dealership they agreed to replace the rear axle due to alignment issues.

    So I've had the car nearly 3 years. Two years ago one Enasave went flat, and I had the leak repaired. One year ago another went flat, and I had that one repaired too.

    Two weeks ago something sounded funny, and I found this:Name:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  94.3 KBName:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  94.3 KB

    I hadn't hit any potholes, and the wheel had no damage only the tire has that sudden, mysterious bulge. So in less than 3 years, that is three of 4 tires either getting leaks or getting a baseball-size sidewall bulge.

    Then Tuesday this week I went out to the car and had another flat tire. It was one of the previously repaired tires, but this time it had a hole in the sidewall. Ugh!

    Overall I thought the treadwear was okay. The two original tires had 53,000 miles and were near the wear bars, but still hanging in there. The two tires that we're new when I bought the car had around 40,000 and lots of life left. But three of four tires developing leaks and/or sidewall damage within 3 years is unacceptable. I've never owned a set of tires that had this many problems. There's no way i'd feel safe buying another set of these.

    The gas mileage was good, but for $115/tire and needing to repair them/replace them so early, how could this be a good value? Realistically, when viewing Tire Rack tests for LRR tires, you could maybe expect 2-3% better fuel economy with a LLR tire, which might save a person $20-30/year in fuel costs. Given how expensive and unreliable this tire has been for me, some of those $50-60 non-LRR value tires with 70,000 mileage ratings seem like an awfully good bargain.
    I recently hit a pothole with my drivers side front tire. Afterwards, I had the exact same bulge on my sidewall. Luckily, I did not damage my wheel. I did however, throw out the alignment. My tire only had about 5,500 miles on it at the time. I had to order a new one from Sam Club for about $145 with tax, mounting and balancing. I'm thinking you must have hit something. The sudden increase in pressure, from hitting a pothole, will balloon out the tire at the weakest point. In this case, it's the thin sidewall. It really sucked for me to replace a fairly new tire due to this kind of damage. These tires are very fragile compared to other tires I have owned in the past.

  12. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Several people on this forum have experienced sidewall bubbles on their Enasaves. When you read Enasave reviews at other websites, there are usually a few people complaining of similar experiences.
    Yeah, I've seen some of those comments here and there. I was also reading reviews on Amazon that weren't very flattering.

    I wanted to post my review partly because my car has good alignment, so I could highlight other issues with the tires (sidewall holes, bulges, leaks). Some of the reviews I've seen were for rapid tread wear, and I suspect some of that is due to the alignment issues that the Mirage is documented to have. My two original Dunlops had 53,000 miles on the tread and were still hanging in there, so I think the tread wear in my case was pretty good.

  13. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I lost a Dunlop Enasave to a sidewall blowout @ 15,000 miles. No particular reason for it to happen either. In all my years of driving/owning vehicles, I don't remember any other tires being lost prematurely like that. Except for the my 1999 Ford Explorer had its Firestone tires taken from it early, & they were replaced with Goodyear tires (free of charge). We can probably thank that Ford/Firestone relationship for those wonderful TPMS being added all of today's new cars.

    I am presently running Federal SS657 tires up front & a pair of the original Dunlop tires on the back. I don't have much confidence in the Dunlop tires. When I take long trips, I throw a spare snow tire the back of my car. I will feel better once I use up the Dunlop tires.

    I see myself sticking with 165/65-14 tires. So far the Federal SS657 tires seem fine, & I may try out the Vredestein Quatrac 5 (offered @ Tirerack.com) in the future. If these tires become a bust, I will most likely return to Cooper/Mastercraft tires in size 175/65-14.

    Even if Dunlop Enasave tires were $50/each, my money would go elsewhere. Feeling confident about a tire trumps LRR for me.

    One of our highest mileage Mirage members is impressed with Falken tires. With his high mileage, it's hard to argue against these tires.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-si...-tire/51494282

    $44 for a 80,000 mile tread wear tire is a great price. Sidenote however, our factory Dunlop Enasave and Falken tires are both made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI). At least my Dunlop tires have SRI stamped on them.
    Ha! I laughed when reading that you were running two remaining Dunlops in the back and two different ones in the front. I'm doing the same thing. I'm glad the Federals are treating you well. Thanks for all the extra information about tires, it was helpful.

    I was planning to hold out for a Discount Tire Memorial sale, so bought a cheap $30, 175/65/14 Westlake RP18 tire from Amazon and had Walmart install it, thinking it would just be a temporary thing. Then I had a second Dunlop go flat, so I got another Westlake and am running the two on the front, with the Dunlops in back. So far the Westlakes are surprisingly quiet and smooth, balanced easily, and my MPG is still good...or at least hasn't plummeted (might be just a bit lower, but too early to tell).

    I'm not thrilled with this Dunlop + cheap Thailand-made/Chinese rubber tire combo, but I suspect I'll run with it for awhile. I might throw a spare winter tire in like Mark during long trips


    Last edited by emki; 05-15-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •