Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Dunlops=never again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Stock Dunlops=never again

Well, like many people on this forum, I haven't had a great experience with the stock tires. I bought my Mirage used with 13,500 miles. It had two brand new Enasaves in the rear (and the fronts we're original), and after fighting with the dealership they agreed to replace the rear axle due to alignment issues.

So I've had the car nearly 3 years. Two years ago one Enasave went flat, and I had the leak repaired. One year ago another went flat, and I had that one repaired too.

Two weeks ago something sounded funny, and I found this:Name:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  94.3 KBName:  IMG_20190421_174401405.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  94.3 KB

I hadn't hit any potholes, and the wheel had no damage only the tire has that sudden, mysterious bulge. So in less than 3 years, that is three of 4 tires either getting leaks or getting a baseball-size sidewall bulge.

Then Tuesday this week I went out to the car and had another flat tire. It was one of the previously repaired tires, but this time it had a hole in the sidewall. Ugh!

Overall I thought the treadwear was okay. The two original tires had 53,000 miles and were near the wear bars, but still hanging in there. The two tires that we're new when I bought the car had around 40,000 and lots of life left. But three of four tires developing leaks and/or sidewall damage within 3 years is unacceptable. I've never owned a set of tires that had this many problems. There's no way i'd feel safe buying another set of these.

The gas mileage was good, but for $115/tire and needing to repair them/replace them so early, how could this be a good value? Realistically, when viewing Tire Rack tests for LRR tires, you could maybe expect 2-3% better fuel economy with a LLR tire, which might save a person $20-30/year in fuel costs. Given how expensive and unreliable this tire has been for me, some of those $50-60 non-LRR value tires with 70,000 mileage ratings seem like an awfully good bargain.
    Last edited by emki; 05-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emki For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-13-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I totally agree. Im switching to $30 walmart 175 65 R14 as soon as my Firestones start crapping out. I dont have a choice because Mitsubishi wont warranty work my back axle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I totally agree. Im switching to $30 walmart 175 65 R14 as soon as my Firestones start crapping out.
    Looking for new tires? Be sure to look at this chart I made comparing various models of the stock size:

Tire Comparison

I dont have a choice because Mitsubishi wont warranty work my back axle.
    That's because your rear axle alignment is within specifications. You really ought to let that go.

If you really just can't stand it you can still get it replaced. I understand the replacement axle assemblies are around $500 online.

Axle Assembly - Mitsubishi (4120A150)

Quote Originally Posted by MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com
    List Price: $720.00
    You Save: $190.80 (27% off)
    Sale Price: $529.20
    And while you're at it you can install the stiffer springs for 2017 & up.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-12-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added link and price quote for replacement axle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

emki (05-15-2019),MetroMPG (05-13-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Let it go? My alignment guy said its still faulty and still going to unnecessarily eat away at my tires and wallet. As a subsequent owner my claim wasnt seen as important. I love my Mirage but that would leave a sour taste in anyone's mind. And I trust my personal mechanic, who Ive done business with for years over an underwriter trying to save money for Mitsubishi. Eggman your a journalist correct? I would expect you to champion the cause of the little guy vs big auto my friend? You write for Jalopnik? Maybe that would be a juicy expose? "Big Auto and its underhanded warranty repair practices" Id read it bro. You'd be sticking it to the man lol. Make Woodward & Bernstein proud.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll reply through PM, but I'm no journalist.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Several people on this forum have experienced sidewall bubbles on their Enasaves. When you read Enasave reviews at other websites, there are usually a few people complaining of similar experiences.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I totally agree. Im switching to $30 walmart 175 65 R14 as soon as my Firestones start crapping out. I dont have a choice because Mitsubishi wont warranty work my back axle.
    I'm having the same problem with my back axle we need to fight mitsubishi about this

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrimpeeper View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my back axle we need to fight mitsubishi about this
    Dont get me started on Mitsu not honoring warranty work lol. Theyre good little cars but Mitsu dealerships are terrible IMO. Ive only dealt with 2 though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dont get me started on Mitsu not honoring warranty work lol. Theyre good little cars but Mitsu dealerships are terrible IMO. Ive only dealt with 2 though.

I’ve only been to two dealerships as well, I’m trying to find one that isn’t terrible in the service department

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrimpeeper View Post
    Hello thegrimpeeper and welcome to the forum.

I have some quick questions about your Mirage rear axle alignment problem.

1. Have you read our threads covering the rear axle alignment and warranty repair? Here's the main ones:
    2. Did you buy new?
    3. Do you have alignment figures for your rear axle?

We have had many forum members who have gotten their rear axle alignment fixed by Mitsubishi under warranty at no cost including some that's just out of the first year bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

This forum has been a great resource in that regard. There's lots of folks willing to help, saving you wasted time and aggravation.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-07-2020)