Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stock Dunlops=never again

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrimpeeper View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my back axle we need to fight mitsubishi about this
    Hello thegrimpeeper and welcome to the forum.

I have some quick questions about your Mirage rear axle alignment problem.

1. Have you read our threads covering the rear axle alignment and warranty repair? Here's the main ones:
    2. Did you buy new?
    3. Do you have alignment figures for your rear axle?

We have had many forum members who have gotten their rear axle alignment fixed by Mitsubishi under warranty at no cost including some that's just out of the first year bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

This forum has been a great resource in that regard. There's lots of folks willing to help, saving you wasted time and aggravation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello thegrimpeeper and welcome to the forum.

I have some quick questions about your Mirage rear axle alignment problem.

1. Have you read our threads covering the rear axle alignment and warranty repair? Here's the main ones:
    2. Did you buy new?
    3. Do you have alignment figures for your rear axle?

We have had many forum members who have gotten their rear axle alignment fixed by Mitsubishi under warranty at no cost including some that's just out of the first year bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

This forum has been a great resource in that regard. There's lots of folks willing to help, saving you wasted time and aggravation.
    Yes i am well aware of the threads on this forum about the rear axle being misaligned from the factory and i actually have went to the dealership with that thread printed out to show them the issue. But of course the guy at the service counter said he's never heard of it and he even said that any rear alignment issue could be fixed by correcting for it with the front alignment, which seemed like an absolutely ludicrous statement. He also proposed the idea that the alignment issue is only a result of the slope of the road. But anyway yes i bought the car new. I also had the alignment figures done by an independent shop and they showed both the front and rear out of alignment. So I'm not sure if its my responsibilty to get the front alignment done or should that be on Mitsubishi since the car is so new?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes i am well aware of the threads on this forum about the rear axle being misaligned from the factory and i actually have went to the dealership with that thread printed out to show them the issue. But of course the guy at the service counter said he's never heard of it and he even said that any rear alignment issue could be fixed by correcting for it with the front alignment, which seemed like an absolutely ludicrous statement. He also proposed the idea that the alignment issue is only a result of the slope of the road. But anyway yes i bought the car new. I also had the alignment figures done by an independent shop and they showed both the front and rear out of alignment. So I'm not sure if its my responsibilty to get the front alignment done or should that be on Mitsubishi since the car is so new?
    Quick reply:
    1. All adjustments are covered by the first year warranty, including alignment.
    2. Rear axle replacement is covered beyond that.

These are discussed in both threads referenced, but you probably know that already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...I also had the alignment figures done by an independent shop and they showed both the front and rear out of alignment.
    If you have the alignment printout from that shop for your Mirage, post it here. If your rear axle doesn't meet the alignment specifications and you are within the 5 year/60K mile warranty, then you are entitled to a new rear axle regardless of what the service writer at the dealership says. Taking a printout from this forum to the service department will just leave the dealership guys rolling their eyes at you like your nuts. Customers come in with all sorts of crazy stuff they see on the interwebz. In this case it's all true...but it sounds like you have a text-book bad axle case.

You can go over the dealer's head and go directly to Mitsubishi Customer Support if you can't get any satisfaction from the dealer. I have done it myself with positive results...but that's a last resort. Before we go down that road, post your alignment sheet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by top_fuel View Post
    if you have the alignment printout from that shop for your mirage, post it here. If your rear axle doesn't meet the alignment specifications and you are within the 5 year/60k mile warranty, then you are entitled to a new rear axle regardless of what the service writer at the dealership says. Taking a printout from this forum to the service department will just leave the dealership guys rolling their eyes at you like your nuts. Customers come in with all sorts of crazy stuff they see on the interwebz. In this case it's all true...but it sounds like you have a text-book bad axle case.

You can go over the dealer's head and go directly to mitsubishi customer support if you can't get any satisfaction from the dealer. I have done it myself with positive results...but that's a last resort. Before we go down that road, post your alignment sheet.
    [attach]17632[/attach
    Name:  IMG_0772.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  85.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks grimpeeper for posting your alignment results.

Why do you think your rear axle needs replacement? Its numbers look good.

Is the top alignment report from your dealer?

I don't understand why ExpressAlign fails the right rear toe at -0.04° but passes the left rear toe at .10°.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-08-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Why do you think your rear axle needs replacement? Its numbers look good.

Is the top alignment report from your dealer?

I don't understand why ExpressAlign fails the right rear toe at -0.04° but passes the left rear toe at .10°.

the tolerances are completely different ranges of numbers on the left and right, but i got both pieces of paper from the same place when i got the alignment checked by an independent shop once. Are you suggesting that the rear right toe at -0.4° is not messed up when the allowable tolerance is .28 to (-0.3)?! It's outside of acceptable limits why would that ever be considered "good numbers"
    Last edited by thegrimpeeper; 04-08-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Let's look at the front and rear alignment values separately. I don't know why the shop gave you 2 printouts with slightly different values...but we can deal with it.

Here's your FRONT end alignment numbers...

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  74.1 KB

The only adjustable front end angle on a Mirage is toe. Looking at your front toe numbers, they are way off. Your front tires are going to wear excessively because they aren't pointed straight ahead. You need to get this corrected soon unless you want to buy new front tires before your car reaches 20K miles.

If your car is less than 1 year old and has less than 12,000 miles, the dealer will correct the front end alignment for free.

Here are your REAR numbers...

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  63.9 KB

The main thing we are looking at here is toe. You have slightly different toe values on the printouts.

Your top right rear value (-0.04) is out of spec by .01 degrees.
    Your bottom right rear value (-0.02) is within spec by .01 degrees.

Split the difference between those 2 numbers and put it right in the middle (-.03). At that point, your rear axle is within spec. It's right on the edge...but it's technically OK according to Mitsubishi.

My rear axle is also barely within spec. I rotate my tires regularly and I have almost 87,000 miles on 1 set of tires. I have come to the conclusion that the rear axle alignment doesn't have to be perfect. You just want to make sure one of the rear toe values isn't way out of spec. When that happens, these cars will eat rear tires.

If this were my car, I'd get the front end aligned, follow a regular tire rotation schedule, and enjoy some healthy tread life.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-09-2020 at 03:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the tolerances are completely different ranges of numbers on the left and right, but i got both pieces of paper from the same place when i got the alignment checked by an independent shop once. Are you suggesting that the rear right toe at -0.4° is not messed up when the allowable tolerance is .28 to (-0.3)?! It's outside of acceptable limits why would that ever be considered "good numbers"
    Looks like you shifted a decimal point (.4° vs .04°) Those numbers still look pretty darn good to me, but what do I know.

Top_Fuel runs point on this matter. He knows how this stuff works way better than I do.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    The rear is not perfect, but I would not complain the way it is. You surely won't notice any difference with a new axle within specs, and I don't expect a rear tyre wearing abnormally.

The front is what needs a bit of work! If the car is new, have the dealer do it free.
    Right front camber can probably be corrected just by loosening the two bolts on the bottom of the shock absorber, and pulling the assy outward while retightening those bolts. There is almost one degree of movement possible right there, and that should be enough to get it in specs. You could even do that parked on a level surface with a spirit level for checking.
    Then and only after camber correction is accomplished, should toe be corrected. Front tyre wear should look OK then. Not a big deal to do at all.

Btw, I rotate tyres every oil change or so, and maintain good air pressure just below the max limit stated on the tyres. That saves tyre life and saves fuel.

Last edited by foama; 04-08-2020 at 05:09 PM.