Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing round trip mileage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Amazing round trip mileage!

This morning I had to drive about 29 miles to Scottsdale AZ from Mesa AZ (58 miles round trip). See attached MPG gauge image: 61MPG! Of course my gauge is about 1MPG optimistic verified by multiple actual calculations, but 60MPG!Name:  P1030698.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  86.9 KB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-13-2019),Marklovski (05-14-2019),MetroMPG (05-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Great job.

Take your time, watch your speed and the Mirage will reward you. I don't often do much traveling outside of short trip commutes and errands, but when I do, I usually get around 60 mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that's awesome. Plus, you have the heavier sedan, and an automatic!

I remember reading a post of yours a while ago when you drove to Yellowstone and averaged more than 50mpg. I wonder if the sedan is actually better on the highway because of its length giving it better aerodynamics? Pure conjecture on my part. Maybe you're just that good at efficient driving.

I'm eager to see how mine does when I take it on its first road trip this summer. It's been high 40's so far, and I'm still in the break-in period, so I'm satisfied so far. I find I actually get better mileage on surface streets, even with lots of red lights, than I do if I jump on the 101 or the 10.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've hit 60.7 as a best I think. I'd have to look back to verify

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post

I remember reading a post of yours a while ago when you drove to Yellowstone and averaged more than 50mpg. I wonder if the sedan is actually better on the highway because of its length giving it better aerodynamics? Pure conjecture on my part. Maybe you're just that good at efficient driving.

I'm eager to see how mine does when I take it on its first road trip this summer. It's been high 40's so far, and I'm still in the break-in period, so I'm satisfied so far. I find I actually get better mileage on surface streets, even with lots of red lights, than I do if I jump on the 101 or the 10.
    Hey, another Arizonan with a Mirage. I don't see them much here. Funny you should mention the 101, as I went down the 202 to the 101 and up to North Scottsdale in this drive. I just go between 60 and 65. If everyone is going 70, I just let them pass me. I definitely get better MPG on the freeway, as long as I keep it 65 or under. On my short drive (2.5 miles or so) on city streets to church, I get between 47 and 50MPG, and I have to coast into the parking lot to make that. Those short trips are killer for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its easy to get amazing gas mileage if you aren't driving 90 mph down the highway.

My daily drive is usually at 70 mph so I only get gas mileage in the mid 40s.

On days when my drive is mostly 55 mph, my gas mileage is usually in the mid 50s.

Speed and how you drive makes a big difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (05-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post

I definitely notice a difference when it is cold out. On my trip to New Mexico when it was in the 50's or 60's I struggled to get 45MPG compared to that Yellowstone trip when it was in the 80s most of the way--both going 70-75 mph. And I was running the A/C a lot (on low) on the Yellowstone trip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The Mirage does not like cooler temps, winter blended fuel, sustained high speeds, use of air conditioning, accelerating, or climbing any kind of hill. So maintain a 45mph cruise in top gear with 75 degree temperatures on a flat surface...and you'll consistently get good fuel mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The Mirage does not like cooler temps, winter blended fuel, sustained high speeds, use of air conditioning, accelerating, or climbing any kind of hill. So maintain a 45mph cruise in top gear with 75 degree temperatures on a flat surface...and you'll consistently get good fuel mileage.
    And if you have to run the A/C (like we do here in AZ), turn the temperature to between the heat and cool, just in the cool side, and keep the fan on 2. I am assuming the non-automatic temp control A/C, here. You'll get cool air blowing on you, but the compressor will run a lot less.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Its easy to get amazing gas mileage if you aren't driving 90 mph down the highway.

My daily drive is usually at 70 mph so I only get gas mileage in the mid 40s.

On days when my drive is mostly 55 mph, my gas mileage is usually in the mid 50s.

Speed and how you drive makes a big difference.
    I'm still working on my wife with the "how you drive" thing. She has to put her foot into it from a stop. I tell her if you hear the little 3-banger growling, you're pushing it too hard for excellent mileage.