Thread: Trade in advice

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Trade in advice

My Mirage has served me well as a fun backup and "dog park" vehicle, but I am getting the 3 year itch to get a new car. I am looking at the Hyundai Kona with a turbo.
    Problem is I am underwater on the loan. I am guessing close to $2000. What do you think a 2015 ES 5-speed with 54,000 miles and pet hair will fetch me?

I don't know your circumstances but I'd probably try to pay it down til you could at least wash your hands of the Mirage and start of without negative equity.

I get bored of cars pretty quick but I'm stuck driving the wife's optima that she bought before we met. Gonna either wait til it's paid off or until the debt is paid down closer to what we can sell it for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    ...What do you think a 2015 ES 5-speed with 54,000 miles and pet hair will fetch me?
    If you work an aggressive deal on a new car, you might get $3,500 trade value for your Mirage. There's just no demand for these things in the current market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you're financially capable of doing it without hurting yourself then do it. The dealer resale value will be around $5500 based on data I found here.
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ago-d426_L7510
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you think a 2015 ES 5-speed with 54,000 miles and pet hair will fetch me?
    At least a few hundred more if you vacuum out the pet hair first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Sorry, but you are gonna lose here unless you can sell it yourself.

Making the minimum payments for three years on a new car is going to make trade-in time painful when you are ready for your next one. Honestly, that is true for most cars...not just the Mirage. The first three years are when depreciation is highest and your equity is lowest. There really isn't any way around it. Hell, I have seen a few late-model used Mirages advertised on my local Craigslist for upwards of $20,000 by people looking to pawn their negative equity off on somebody else!

Spend some money and have the car detailed professionally. Then shop it around. Otherwise, you are going to have to decide if that new Kia is worth the extra $2,000 rollover. Who knows? Once you have it detailed that Kia may not look so nice anymore!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-16-2019),inuvik (05-16-2019),Scratchpaddy (05-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sorry, but you are gonna lose here unless you can sell it yourself.

Making the minimum payments for three years on a new car is going to make trade-in time painful when you are ready for your next one. Honestly, that is true for most cars...not just the Mirage. The first three years are when depreciation is highest and your equity is lowest. There really isn't any way around it. Hell, I have seen a few late-model used Mirages advertised on my local Craigslist for upwards of $20,000 by people looking to pawn their negative equity off on somebody else!

Spend some money and have the car detailed professionally. Then shop it around. Otherwise, you are going to have to decide if that new Kia is worth the extra $2,000 rollover. Who knows? Once you have it detailed that Kia may not look so nice anymore!
    Rolling along with the theme presented above, pay off your Mirage asap. If that takes a year or two, you may be able to find a slightly used KIA by then.

Your Mirage is not going to depreciate that much in the meantime, & you can let someone else take that initial loss of driving a new car off the dealer's lot.

This may not be the advice you are looking for, but I wouldn't buy a more expensive car if I can't pay off a cheap Mirage first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage has served me well as a fun backup and "dog park" vehicle, but I am getting the 3 year itch to get a new car. I am looking at the Hyundai Kona with a turbo.
    Problem is I am underwater on the loan. I am guessing close to $2000. What do you think a 2015 ES 5-speed with 54,000 miles and pet hair will fetch me?
    A 2015 ES Manual is actually quite desirable to the discerning Mirage aficionado (me) It's actually THE car I would look to replace my beloved '14 ES Manual with...

The problem is, that the discerning Mirage aficionado knows just how cheap these things can be found if he/she is patient. I would be looking to buy this car at ~$5000. I should say that this would be my goal.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    A 2015 ES Manual is actually quite desirable to the discerning Mirage aficionado (me) It's actually THE car I would look to replace my beloved '14 ES Manual with...
    Good to know...his car is a clone of mine (or vice-versa)! When I told my local dealership what I wanted they had to find my car at another dealership nearly 100 miles away.