Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mirage beats Corvette! (As the car with the highest U.S. fatality rate)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This newly released study paints a not-unsurprising picture of the deadliest cars in the U.S. by distance driven. The worst offenders are sub/compacts and sports/sporty cars.

It also lays out the most fatalities in the SUV/crossover class, and pickup truck class.

Full article/methodology here: https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study
    Like ripples on the water, this article has been picked up and parroted by others.

Has anyone heard any more about this study? I like the pushback from Torchinsky of Jalopnik - he does a good job deconstucting the study, and is definitely worth the read.

I wonder how this will impact sales, and if this will trigger more big discounts ahead...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I noticed the same thing - lots of reprints of the story.

I suspect the impact on sales will be limited because hardly anybody is reviewing the car anymore -- it's in its 8th model year internationally, 6th in North America. Once the story dies down (it's already peaked, I bet), it won't get mentioned outside of a dedicated review.

Though the haters now have more ammo, and they'll undoubtedly bring it up every time they bash the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe we actually have the safest car.......
    Sometimes I wonder which cars cause the least fatalities to others. Big SUVs are nice and safe.....if you are the driver. But in terms of overall safety to society I wonder which car when involved in a multi vehicle accident is least likely to hurt people in the other car. I bet we have the most dangerous car for the driver but the safest car for the people in the car that's hitting ours. So in a way we actually have the safest car. Just aim for another mirage.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Like ripples on the water, this article has been picked up and parroted by others.
    Thinking about this more...

It seems it might become a new Mirage "meme".

On the other hand, one of the other Mirage memes that is still going strong is "best non-hybrid MPG". I see that mentioned quite often in reviews/blogs, even by ordinary people in comment threads.

It just popped up again, eg: The Car Connection's Greenest Cars of 2019 , which by definition these days is a list of EV's, with the exception of an "honorable mention" of the Mirage...

we’ve added one non-hybrid to the list for the hard-and-fast dino-juice diehards.

At 39 mpg combined, the Mitsubishi Mirage is the most efficient non-hybrid vehicle on the road today.
    Of course, then they go and ruin the warm fuzzies by adding, "And that’s about all it has going for it."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is easily explained.... Since vette drivers are probably the fastest on the road...its no surprise they are smashing into us, as we tend to be the slowest and most likely to hypemile 😂 😂 😂

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daso For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-10-2019)

^ Thank you for the actual LOL. Unassailable logic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daso (11-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonggong View Post
    This could be the reason why the insurance for the Mirage is higher.
    But if you die there's a limit to the payout, there's no long term 24/7 care.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    But if you die there's a limit to the payout, there's no long term 24/7 care.
    I'm not sure if the limits have taken effect yet, but Michigan has historically had unlimited medical for car insurance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPvGi4s9bg

Lots of Mirage crashes on this one
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-18-2020)

I'm sure glad I don't have a green or pink Mirage, those ones don't seem safe at all!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)