Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hated by most, loved by few.

You definitely picked the right (gas) car to minimize the hit from the crazy west coast gas prices.

Make a garage page for yours. Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I know the thread title is a bit of a joke, but I feel compelled to say that the Mirage hate is overblown. The loudest traditiona/gearhead automotive media rag on the car, but they're not necessarily the majority view:

Thread: MYTH: car reviewers hate the Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I know the thread title is a bit of a joke, but I feel compelled to say that the Mirage hate is overblown. The loudest traditiona/gearhead automotive media rag on the car, but they're not necessarily the majority view:

MetroMPG - I agree with you. When I first became interested in the Mirage, I focused on European reviews of the Mirage. Small cars are more common there, and small cars are more widely accepted. Other parts of the world get the purpose of the Mirage, & their reviews reflect that much better.

Some reviews focus on all the wrong things in my mind, or they put to much focus on the wrong things. Given what is offered in other parts of the world, I wish Suzuki had remained in the North American market. They are offering a nice variety of smaller vehicles. They also became the most profitable auto company worldwide. Taking that title away from BMW. Thus, Suzuki must be doing something right? I don't feel that way about the American auto market, because things seem out of whack to me! Sadly, those who are drawn to the Mirage are probably not the norm.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I agree, I've seen a bunch of people trying to give it hell for things that it isn't supposed to be - sort of like judging a fish for its ability to climb a tree. If I had to put it in one word, I'd definitely say it's Misunderstood. Everyday people who don't want to be a slave to car payments, high maintenance costs, or extortionate gas prices can find a lot of comfort with the mirage. And while i DO have an absolute blast driving my old man's '85 Porsche 911, I don't find it all that terrible to have a daily driver that I'm not worried about. putting kilometers on or if it gets a little ding on the doors from unscrupulous Walmart patrons doesn't hurt my soul. (3 so far and counting... It's like a lawless wasteland into those parking lots...)

Biggest surprise for me (in a good way!) Was when I was able to move a 49' TV in the backseat alone, not even propping open the hatch. Barely fit, but it was a lifesaver :P

5. The Following User Says Thank You to larson377 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larson377 View Post
    I agree, I've seen a bunch of people trying to give it hell for things that it isn't supposed to be - sort of like judging a fish for its ability to climb a tree.
    I always said they were b!tching about a perfectly good spoon because it won't cut their steak.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2019)