Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage G4 GLS Dead Battery

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    A plain voltmeter does not give you an accurate indication of the overall condition of the car battery. You must have a DMM w/ MIN/MAX function for that purpose.

I have a battery tester that can display the SOC (state of charge) and SOH (state of health) values of the battery and used it to check my stock battery from time to time when my battery reached 3+ years old.

https://www.amazon.com/BA5-100-1200-.../dp/B0017R5EQK

I've also used a 7-stage automatic battery charger w/ recondition function..

You may have 100% SOC but if your SOH value drops to lower than 70% .. not much can be done to improve the value .. it indicates your battery has deteriorated and needs a replacement.

At present, in lieu of a DMM w/ MIN/MAX function, I have a BM2 monitor hooked up to the battery.

You can monitor the battery condition thru an Android app.
    I do have a Fluke DMM w/ min max functions. I just didn't know what to check. What do you specifically need to perform when doing the test? Or would the meter that you have be a better option?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    I do have a Fluke DMM w/ min max functions. I just didn't know what to check. What do you specifically need to perform when doing the test? Or would the meter that you have be a better option?
    Set your DMM to DC volts to the appropriate DCV range (or AUTO), enable the MIN/MAX function, connect your test leads across the battery terminals, and start the engine.. let it run for a few seconds then shut it down. Take note of the MIN value registered .. it must not go below 9.6 volts.

Best option is to have a BATTERY tester though.. You can measure the CCA value and internal resistance in addition to SOC and SOH. AFAIK, our local dealerships use the MIDTRONICS conductance tester.

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Set your DMM to DC volts to the appropriate DCV range (or AUTO), enable the MIN/MAX function, connect your test leads across the battery terminals, and start the engine.. let it run for a few seconds then shut it down. Take note of the MIN value registered .. it must not go below 9.6 volts.

Best option is to have a BATTERY tester though.. You can measure the CCA value and internal resistance in addition to SOC and SOH. AFAIK, our local dealerships use the MIDTRONICS conductance tester.
    Well, what if the car doesn't start? Would the min/max values still matter in trying to get a glimpse of the health of the battery?

I completely agree in having a tester that's specifically designed for car batteries. I would invest on one when I see fit. Right now, I'm just being curious.

As for the BM2, is that the most recommended bang-for-the-buck tester nowadays? Or is there anything better? I'm very keen into buying one of those.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't invest in a battery tester since I already have access to a voltmeter that records minimum and maximum values, but that's just me. I'm comfortable enough with batteries that I don't need to rely on someone else to do it for me.

I do have a Fluke DMM w/ min max functions. I just didn't know what to check. What do you specifically need to perform when doing the test?
    A good voltmeter and a little knowledge is all one should need. If you already have a min/max voltmeter, consider learning more about lead-acid storage batteries.

Battery University

Predictive Test Methods for Starter Batteries

Lots of good information there.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Well, what if the car doesn't start? Would the min/max values still matter in trying to get a glimpse of the health of the battery?

I completely agree in having a tester that's specifically designed for car batteries. I would invest on one when I see fit. Right now, I'm just being curious.

As for the BM2, is that the most recommended bang-for-the-buck tester nowadays? Or is there anything better? I'm very keen into buying one of those.
    The link provided by Eggman is a good read.

I think you were wondering why despite a full charge indication on your battery and yet it was not able to start the car. This is because the internal battery resistance has increased much. As such, the Cold Cranking Amps of the battery has greatly diminished and so cannot crank the engine. You can try a little experiment.. put a 1-Kohm resistor in series w/ your DMM test lead and take a voltage reading of your battery.. you will still have a good reading but put a 5watt 12-volt bulb w/ that resistor in series and see if it lights up.

I suggest that you take a reading of your new battery now and use it as a baseline reference in the future.

As you crank the engine, the voltage dips to a value lower than the voltage you normally get when the engine is not running. As your battery ages, this value gets lower.

If you get a MIN value lower than 9.6 volts, you can then prepare to buy a new replacement. If you get a reading of say, 6-volt MIN value, you will not be able to start the car.

How to Properly Check the Juice in Your Car Battery
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...a2074/4221215/

CRANKING VOLTAGE TEST

http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/...ge-Test-92.htm

For the BM2 .. I don't have to carry my DMM or Battery Tester during my trips. I had previously used a Pivot MegaRaizin copy w/c supposedly has a cranking monitor feature but no .. it was just a voltage monitor plus those electrolytic caps.

Last edited by Mitz; 05-18-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    These cars take an odd-sized battery. Some common off-the-shelf batteries are close, but not exactly the same size. There is a thread about it here somewhere.
    NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, Batteries Plus, & O'Reilly all list group 35 &/or group 26R batteries for the Mirage, and these are very common batteries. My Subaru Forester takes the exact same group 35 battery as my Mirage. Walmart & other discount stores carry these battery groups, too.

The original battery may be slightly different in size, but who cares? As long as it fits in the battery box, it should be good.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-18-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, Batteries Plus, & O'Reilly all list group 35 &/or group 26R batteries for the Mirage, and these are very common batteries. My Subaru Forester takes the exact same group 35 battery as my Mirage. Walmart & other discount stores carry these battery groups, too.
    As I mentioned earlier, a Group 35 will work. It has basically the same 'footprint' as the Group 85 the Mirage comes with from the factory. But it is 7/8" taller, so the hold-down bolts won't be long enough.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, a Group 35 will work. It has basically the same 'footprint' as the Group 85 the Mirage comes with from the factory. But it is 7/8" taller, so the hold-down bolts won't be long enough.
    Ironically, AutoZone states a group 85 battery won't fit a Mirage. Places like Walmart & AutoZone usually install batteries for free. I'll let them worry about it I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ironically, AutoZone states a group 85 battery won't fit a Mirage. Places like Walmart & AutoZone usually install batteries for free. I'll let them worry about it I guess.
    Absolutely. Dirk just needed different hold-down bolts. It's the same situation we have with the tires on these cars. Weird size from the factory, but other common sizes will work just fine as substitutes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Ugh.

I've searched many online auto parts vendors and None of them say the factory Mirage battery is Group 85. They All say a Group 35 battery is the correct replacement. On top of that, I've found varying dimensions for the factory 55D23L battery.

Hitachi 55D23L
    GS Yuasa 55D23L

Who said the Mirage factory battery is Group 85?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)