Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage G4 GLS Dead Battery

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Absolutely. Dirk just needed different hold-down bolts. It's the same situation we have with the tires on these cars. Weird size from the factory, but other common sizes will work just fine as substitutes.
    Yeah I ended up tipping the guy 10 bucks for all the extra effort put it getting it in. Were coming up on 6 years the Mirage has been here with what 200,000 units sold since then? When will aftermarket parts be more bountiful?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Who said the Mirage factory battery is Group 85?
    The measurements of the battery that is in it from the factory say it is a Group 85. And a Group 35 battery is just that...a replacement. Just like a 175/65-14 can be used to replace a 165/65-14. Works just fine, but isn't exactly the same size.

I will see if I can find the other thread on this topic.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Absolutely. Dirk just needed different hold-down bolts. It's the same situation we have with the tires on these cars. Weird size from the factory, but other common sizes will work just fine as substitutes.
    The back hold down bolt needed a longer length, the front was fine. The guy just went in the back and got a slightly longer one free of charge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The back hold down bolt needed a longer length, the front was fine. The guy just went in the back and got a slightly longer one free of charge.
    Weird that only one needed to be changed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will see if I can find the other thread on this topic.
    Here it is.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...gher-capacity)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yeah, I saw that post. It was the only reference to Group 85 here on the forum, and it is 'original research.'

Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    So after measuring and some Google-Fu, our battery size is Group 85. Mine measured 404 CCA (battery not found), and the battery itself is 4 years old, so I need to start planning ahead.

It may also be group 86 (same dimensions, reversed terminals). I'm seeing photos of each group with the terminals flipped around. Make sure the positive is on the left and the negative is on the right when the terminals are on the opposite end of the battery when you're facing it.
    That's why I mentioned that the 55D23L has different dimensions listed by different suppliers.

That's the frustration.

I'm trying to compare these replacements to the original, and measuring can get tricky when even the suppliers have variances in their physical size, not to mention the electrical capacity.

Any support for making this research a thread of it's own?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    And is it a bad thing if the only part that needs to be changed is a j-hook fastener? Does the heat shield box need to be modified to fit a Group 35 battery?

So the Group 35 battery may be slightly taller than the 55D23L from the factory, but it provides much improved capacity over the factory battery. I would call the Interstate Group 35 from Costco as the winner. As far as bang for the buck, it's a bargain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    And is it a bad thing if the only part that needs to be changed is a j-hook fastener? Does the heat shield box need to be modified to fit a Group 35 battery?

So the Group 35 battery may be slightly taller than the 55D23L from the factory, but it provides much improved capacity over the factory battery. I would call the Interstate Group 35 from Costco as the winner. As far as bang for the buck, it's a bargain.
    No mods to the heat shield from what I observed. Just a little wiggling and finesse to get it in. Took about 5 mins.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The "footprint" of the Group 35 battery is nearly identical to that of the Group 85. The only difference is height.

I put the exact measurements of both in an earlier post in this thread.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The "footprint" of the Group 35 battery is nearly identical to that of the Group 85. The only difference is height.

I put the exact measurements of both in an earlier post in this thread.
    It would be more accurate to stick to either the original designation - 55D23L - or its dimensions.

And since various manufacturers list different dimensions, I'm trying to avoid categorizing the 55D23L in any BCI Group.

I think I saw some online vendor list a battery that was not BCI Group 35, but it was a Loren-type small battery of low capacity and low price.

I can drum up a chart of what I found but I don't have the time to play right now. Gotta run