Thread: EOC distance doesn't record to odometer or trip?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

EOC distance doesn't record to odometer or trip?

Title says it. While I don't EOC per se, I do cut the engine once I have sufficient inertia to get to where I'm parking.

Coming home from my first commute in the mirage this morning I cut the engine same spot I do with metros and coast home(about .3 miles). I was closely watching the trip meter, curious to see if the distance would differ from what a Metro would say. I noticed the trip distance froze then, failing to record that final third of a mile.

Anyone else notice this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Haven't noticed it, but can't say I am surprised. If you shut the ignition off and coast, the speedo stops working, right? No reason the odometer should continue counting if the speedometer stops.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I noticed the trip distance froze then, failing to record that final third of a mile.

Anyone else notice this?
    Yea I'm not sure I would do that hypermilling with all the electronic stablizer stuff these days, keeping you on the road in your Mirage. If you got the 5 speed, lay down the clutch and the engine will be burning fumes for that .3 mile coast to your parking spot at like 2k rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you turn the key back to the on position? Or just leave it off?

It doesn't Factor it into the MPG/avg screen unless the keys turned back on.

I don't really use the miles or trip so I'm not sure about that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    It doesn't Factor it into the MPG/avg screen unless the keys turned back on.
    I always wondered how guys were doing engine-off coasting for fuel mileage. I have never done that...until a couple of weeks ago. I was in a freeway traffic jam (occasionally creeping along at maybe 2 mph). I was on a slightly downhill grade, so I shut the engine off but turned on my accessories so I could see the odometer reading. I was able to coast downhill more than a mile without the engine running. It was an interesting trick that did net me some positive MPG...but I was using my brakes occasionally...and even a Mirage is somewhat hard to stop when the power brake booster reserve is gone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I always wondered how guys were doing engine-off coasting for fuel mileage. I have never done that...until a couple of weeks ago. I was in a freeway traffic jam (occasionally creeping along at maybe 2 mph). I was on a slightly downhill grade, so I shut the engine off but turned on my accessories so I could see the odometer reading. I was able to coast downhill more than a mile without the engine running. It was an interesting trick that did net me some positive MPG...but I was using my brakes occasionally...and even a Mirage is somewhat hard to stop when the power brake booster reserve is gone.
    Top_Fuel - this is what I am visualizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skeg3Y6sptg

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...this is what I am visualizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skeg3Y6sptg

LOL... After you have applied the brakes a few times without the engine running, that's what it feels like when the guy in front of you suddenly jams on his brakes!

Believe me...I don't plan to make a regular practice of doing that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    There has been a few on here that do the whole "shifting to neutral from drive, coasting downhill" to save on mpg and possibly lessen the wear and tear on their CVT7s. Im not sure if its effective?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MightyMirageMPG, When I started this I was leaving it off. Turning the key one click to ACC to be more precise. I have since started going to ACC, counted aloud to three for the engine to stop moving, then back to ON to record the majority of the coasted distance. Less than the count of three I found the engine was usually still moving and would recover and idle after turning back on.

Dirk, In a slushbox shifting to neutral is just another gear change as far as the transmission cares. Caveat though is getting out of neutral. Since you can't control the gear it picks you can't really rev match, so unless your stopped and idling putting it back in drive would induce stress on the transmission.
    For your case I'm not sure, a CVT is really never in neutral right? If power input and output are continuously connected neutral wouldn't be a thing.