Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Size and Replacement

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodehunter View Post
    I have yet to see another unit that comes with the Motolite 55D23L, it may or may not be the same as the one available outside the dealership.
    Here's a picture taken some time in 2018 for a GLS CVT model at the dealership. Motolite 55D23L is built exclusively for Mitsubishi Phils.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Many Motolite batteries are listed as 'Tropicalized - Built For Hot Climates'. I wonder how they do that? I also wonder if that has anything to do with using the Motolites instead of the Hitachis?
    It is my opinion that there is no such thing as "tropicalized" battery. The term is just marketing hype.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

bloodehunter (08-25-2020),mitsumi (08-23-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The new battery is in and it works as it should be. The wheel gap on that side also increased by a quarter inch, obviously due to the lighter battery. Might be placebo but I also noticed a difference in the car's balance after the weight loss.

PS: I wrapped the battery in insulation foam to make sure it won't suffer from.heat soak.
    Name:  20200825_045109.jpg
Views: 10974
Size:  95.1 KB

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Just replaced mine with Century 75D23L:
    Name:  107104.jpg
Views: 10123
Size:  83.2 KB

It was on half-price discount, so I bought 2 as the MY13 Outlander also uses the same battery, lucky.
    • MY14 Mitsubishi Mirage - ES 1.2L CVT
    • MY13 Mitsubishi Outlander - ES 2.0L CVT
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Colt - LS CVT (written-off due to non-fault accident)
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Magna - Executive CVT (sold due to chugging fuel)

• Veepeak OBD BLE - CVTz50 (+other Android Apps)
    • Mini VCI / Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10 Pro x64

So what do you know, I've reached 109k miles after a year of ownership. Delivery miles add up quick. I purchased DaRaj with approximately 75k miles. She's been real good to me this car lemme tell ya.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_222320246.jpg
Views: 8689
Size:  92.3 KB

My Hitachi battery has started failing on me. In the last couple weeks I've had to jump start my Mirage twice on deliveries.
    Name:  PXL_20201103_204551158.jpg
Views: 8971
Size:  97.7 KB

I'm happy to carry this jump starter in case of emergency but i think it's time to replace the battery anyway.
    Name:  PXL_20210222_204403790.jpg
Views: 8758
Size:  90.0 KB

I'm the second owner of my 2015 Mirage, I'm assuming this is the original battery from the factory.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_201629391.jpg
Views: 9727
Size:  97.8 KB

6 to 7 years of service that's not bad at all, too bad these cannot be found and purchased locally! I kinda felt bad giving it away for the $12 core fee.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_201749851.jpg
Views: 8882
Size:  100.4 KB

I decided to go with a $100 Walmart battery the EverStart MAXX-35N, plug and play fit, set it and forget it! I made sure to slow charge (2 amp) it before installing it.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_201500858.jpg
Views: 8731
Size:  94.8 KB

Project Farm over on YouTube tested a similar EverStart MAXX battery and his results sold me on getting one. I love his channel!

Distributed by Clarios Milwaukee WI... I wonder what the Reserve Capacity is? My battery is dated September 2021, I'm assuming date of production or refurbishment? The battery handle is useful and appreciated.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_201535058~2.jpg
Views: 8800
Size:  96.4 KB

It fits perfectly, works great and looks good doing it. I didn't think I'd notice a difference but I can immediately feel the engine turnover faster, it starts up quickly without hesitation. 640 CCA is way more than the Hitachi provided so I'm very happy with the extra performance. I shouldn't have any battery issues this winter or for years to come.
    Name:  PXL_20211103_204114169.jpg
Views: 9276
Size:  96.2 KB
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 11-11-2021 at 07:39 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Fits perfect, works great and looks good doing it. I didn't think I'd notice any difference but I can tell immediately the car starts up faster confidently without hesitation. 640CCA rated is more than i had before so I'm more than happy with any additional performance.
    Factory Mirage batteries are only 356 CCA. Most anything else is going to be an improvement, but your factory battery served you very well!

Factory battery data from the owner's manual: 55D23L (356CCA/99RC)
    Last edited by Mark; 11-04-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Factory Mirage batteries are only 356 CCA. Most anything else is going to be an improvement, but your factory battery served you very well!

Factory battery data from the owner's manual: 55D23L (356CCA/99RC)
    The Hitachi did a fantastic job. However, I'm more happy that this battery outperforms it now knowing our Mirages use auxiliary electric heaters. That extra juice won't go unappreciated this winter. Made in your state too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    The Hitachi did a fantastic job. However, I'm more happy that this battery outperforms it now knowing our Mirages use auxiliary electric heaters. That extra juice won't go unappreciated this winter. Made in your state too!
    6-7 years from the factory battery is quite good in my opinion, too!

I also like Project Farm reviews. I have no reservations using Super Tech synthetic oil after watching his review of synthetic oils, too. You have to keep us posted on the new battery, too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-12-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The OEM Hitachi batteries are built for regenerative braking.

With the foot off the gas and the engine reving, the generator "brakes" the engine a bit and charges the battery regardless of any need of charging or not. The OEM battery are built to withstand this without losing capacity.
    Last edited by foama; 11-12-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The OEM Hitachi batteries are built for regenerative braking.

With the foot off the gas and the engine reving, the generator "brakes" the engine a bit and charges the battery regardless of any need of charging or not. The OEM battery are built to stand this without losing capacity.
    I disagree with this assertion. This factory-installed Hitachi battery is not a sealed lead-acid design. Not saying that is a requirement, but I wouldn’t expect it to be used with regenerative braking.

My original Hitachi battery was replaced for acid leakage. I did some experimenting with engine-off coasting which involved more engine starts than with typical use. These frequent engine starts deplete a battery charge more than usual causing the alternator to apply a higher charge current which I suspect may have contributed to the acid leak problem. That battery was replaced at under two years of ownership.

On top of that somewhere around here are details on the Regenerative braking feature (or maybe it’s Automatic Stop & Go - can’t remember…) which when properly equipped from the factory includes a larger battery and alternator (if I recall correctly.)
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-12-2021 at 03:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I agree with your disagreement of that assertion.

I wonder also if the proper equipment you mention with the S&G might also include a different starter motor. One more suitable to lots of starts. Under the right driving conditions to take advantage of a S&G system, the starter on that car might get used 10X as much as a normal starter. So it makes me wonder.

And as for regeneration ... I wonder if foama might have a bit different conceptual idea of what he is considering to be "regeneration." Because on Toyota hybrids, the regeneration is the actual motor that drives the car to be able to be turned by the momentum of the car and from that to actually generate electricity to be flowed back into the battery pack. No such energy is flowing back to the battery of our Mirage from the momentum of the car. I'm assuming foama knows that, which makes me think his concept of regeneration is something other than I am imagining.

I guess what I'm saying is, he may not be wrong, but at least for me, I'll need a bit more 'splainin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)