Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Battery Size and Replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    After watching the battery testing done by Project Farm, I would buy my next car battery from Walmart or my nearby Farm & Fleet store. Walmart EverStart Maxx performed extremely well in the test. I see zero reason to pay extra for a battery with a more known brand name sticker slapped on it. Paying extra elsewhere would be a waste of money. Farm & Fleet batteries come with a better warranty & they are priced right, too.

Walmart Group 35 options -

EverStart Value (490 CCA) = $69.74
    EverStart Plus (525 CCA) = $109.76
    EverStart Maxx (640 CCA) = $139.84

Farm & Fleet Group 35 options -

Gold Series (550 CCA) = $117.99
    (6 year warranty/2 year free replacement)
    Platinum Series (640 CCA) = $134.99
    (7 year warranty/3 year free replacement/3 year emergency jump start)

A Mirage engine is easy to turn over. I haven't had any problems with the wimpy 356 CCA factory battery that is over 6 years old. If my battery died today, I would give the $69.74 Walmart battery a try. If I get 5+ years from it, I would be happy. If not, I will try one of the better ones.

I used to buy auto batteries from Auto Zone, but their prices have become nuts. They can keep their batteries!

I wouldn't pay extra for AGM car battery, because I haven't seen any indications they are superior in a car application, but I would put a AGM battery in my ATVs & UTVs because of the terrain they go over.

Last edited by Mark; 05-02-2023 at 05:26 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-02-2023),mohammad (05-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Those Walmart prices remind me of the yellow Exide batteries they sold years ago? They were good batteries. I'd happily cross the border to buy a battery. Even with the exchange I'm paying $100 vs. $150 up here. I have my tractor battery out and for giggles I'm going to put it in my 2014 and drive around for a bit. It should work fine. It's 330CCA. Those batteries can be found up here for $60 on sale. I have AAA so getting boosted is NBD. Plus I carry a 1000 AMP lion booster.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Those Walmart prices remind me of the yellow Exide batteries they sold years ago? They were good batteries. I'd happily cross the border to buy a battery. Even with the exchange I'm paying $100 vs. $150 up here. I have my tractor battery out and for giggles I'm going to put it in my 2014 and drive around for a bit. It should work fine. It's 330CCA. Those batteries can be found up here for $60 on sale. I have AAA so getting boosted is NBD. Plus I carry a 1000 AMP lion booster.
    I can't say I shopped beyond Walmart/Farm & Fleet for my area, because a battery is something I am going to exchange & get credit for. Thus, it's a transaction I am going to do locally versus buying something online.

Walmart EverStart lawn mower batteries are going to be $30-50 (230 CCA - 340 CCA), but the battery terminals are not the same as a car. I'm willing to $20 extra to have a 490 CCA car battery, because it would cost me something extra to make the battery cables work properly. It just wouldn't be worth it. I can be cheap, but I don't have to be that cheap!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-02-2023 at 06:05 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can't say I shopped beyond Walmart/Farm & Fleet for my area, because a battery is something I am going to exchange & get credit for. Thus, it's a transaction I am going to do locally versus buying something online.

Walmart EverStart lawn mower batteries are going to be $30-50 (230 CCA - 340 CCA), but the battery terminals are not the same as a car. I'm willing to $20 extra to have a 490 CCA car battery, because it would cost me something extra to make the battery cables work properly. It just wouldn't be worth it. I can be cheap, but I don't have to be that cheap!
    I'm a cheap bastage also. I'm just going to use some cheap arse screw type clamps to hold the round terminals to the square tractor battery terminals. I also plan to try using a pair of 130cca sport batteries in parallel. EDIT. I'll use my magnetic welding clamps instead. Faster and likely better contact.

My plasma cutter is away for repair, under warranty I hope, so my sway bar project is on hold. I ordered the air lift kit from Amazon. I need to add AC to my Puma, a new heater core to my 2014 and possibly a complete wheel well tear down and refit to remove the rusted zone. Oh, steel brake lines on my Vue and an alternator. Maybe engine mounts but that is another story.

AGM I read are essential in an auto stop engine, SLA can't handle that kind of abuse. AGM can also discharge to 20% without altering longevity. That one I find hard to handle.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi everyone! Today I had to get a new battery after my mirage needed jump started while delivering last night.
    When removing the battery it was the factory original hitachi. (I’m the second owner of this 2019 mirage).

There were fluid indicator lines reading “higher level” and “lower level”, my battery was on the second lower level line. What did this mean? I’ve searched all over and can’t find info on it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeshywii View Post
    Hi everyone! Today I had to get a new battery after my mirage needed jump started while delivering last night.
    When removing the battery it was the factory original hitachi. (I’m the second owner of this 2019 mirage).

There were fluid indicator lines reading “higher level” and “lower level”, my battery was on the second lower level line. What did this mean? I’ve searched all over and can’t find info on it.

The original Hitachi are not maintenance free. When the level gets close to the "min" mark, its time to add a liitle distilled water, but not above the max mark. My 2014 Mirage had the EOM Hitachi for eight years, and probably I could have kept it another year or two.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The original Hitachi are not maintenance free. When the level gets close to the "min" mark, its time to add a liitle distilled water, but not above the max mark. My 2014 Mirage had the EOM Hitachi for eight years, and probably I could have kept it another year or two.
    I recall reading somewhere Mitsubishi stated the battery was maintenance free or not user serviceable or something like that. my Hitachi battery died because of phantom current draw over 8 week periods. It were fully charged but in the summer I had to spend 8 or so weeks in a coma and it drew down to near zero which means it could not be recovered. It was only 30 months or so aged. I might have been able to get it replaced prorated or something but I chose to buy another cheap battery which has been going strong now since January of 2020.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I recall reading somewhere Mitsubishi stated the battery was maintenance free or not user serviceable or something like that. my Hitachi battery died because of phantom current draw over 8 week periods. It were fully charged but in the summer I had to spend 8 or so weeks in a coma and it drew down to near zero which means it could not be recovered. It was only 30 months or so aged. I might have been able to get it replaced prorated or something but I chose to buy another cheap battery which has been going strong now since January of 2020.
    You are correct, its marketed as a maintenance free battery in North America:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 9.24.03 PM.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  66.9 KB

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itR0K-GeWM
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You are correct, its marketed as a maintenance free battery in North America:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 9.24.03 PM.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  66.9 KB

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itR0K-GeWM
    thanks mohammed, I knew I saw something about the battery being sealed for NA. Even though it appears I could pry off the top and access the Hitachi cells I didn't think it was worth it. Plus I needed the battery to get $30 core charge back.

Reminds me, I still need to take pcitures of the "monster" battery I dropped into my '14. It's a 27 IIRC.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    thanks mohammed, I knew I saw something about the battery being sealed for NA. Even though it appears I could pry off the top and access the Hitachi cells I didn't think it was worth it. Plus I needed the battery to get $30 core charge back.

Reminds me, I still need to take pcitures of the "monster" battery I dropped into my '14. It's a 27 IIRC.
    No prying needed, if you watch the linked video near the end you can see that the removable caps are not glued and can easily be unscrewed to add water.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos