Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions after 1 week

Country
    United States
    Thanks

OK...

I'll have to learn and deal with that to install my 3D printed cruise control anyway... JEEZ I can't believe how pessimistic y'all are being.

It WILL happen so stop trying to convince me otherwise, thank you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    ...I have no qualms about completing that project!
    If you own a 2014-2015 and you live in a cold winter climate, you might need a new heater core sooner than you think (read this). So if you do this swap successfully some day, be sure to do a write-up on it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It WILL happen so stop trying to convince me otherwise, thank you!
    Ok then! I'll look forward to seeing you complete this.

So tell me again what is it about the automatic climate controls that you cannot abide?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm used to tinkering on my cars, I installed a timing belt in miserable winter conditions(parking lot, -10C and snowing) 4 months ago, it had to be done right then so it got done. I own my Mirage outright and want to make it how I want. I have no qualms about completing that
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound pessimistic or critical or whatever myself. You and others are far more versed, have the tools etc. than me, but I do know a thing or two so who knows the other side right?

I just try to be extremely realistic with my house projects, and my car projects. Like for me. Don't want people in the world hurting themselves right. That is all. Looking through the me me me lens again, hard not to sometimes.

I might get an old VW one day yet again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you own a 2014-2015 and you live in a cold winter climate, you might need a new heater core sooner than you think (read this). So if you do this swap successfully some day, be sure to do a write-up on it!
    I would assume it's not a 2014-15 Mirage, because I don't think the manual climate controls were offered until the updated 2017 Mirage came out? I think all 2014-15 trim levels came with auto climate controls prior to 2017, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!

Regardless, I think MacClyver is being pretty clear in what he wants. I am getting the hint at least. I don't use A/C all that much, & I have never owned a vehicle with automatic climate controls. I claim ignorance on the topic, & I hope others step forward to help him out. He may be the first pioneer to convert a manual to auto climate, too!

I enjoy reading & hearing about Mirage projects. I hope this one goes well for him!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting Top Fuel. If noone has documented this swap yet at that time I'll be sure to document it and make a how to.

Here's a 2015 junked crash victim, so with luck it won't be long until a unlucky 2017 shows up.

dspace9, I tend to attack projects and learn as I go, watching too much MacGyver as a kid showed me that's a possible way to go. I tend to do alright that way , not saying it might not be a challenge but if I can't drive it for a few days I can make do without it.

Mark its a 2015 but by it's build date (12/15) it is a 2016, part of the skip year. I'd be looking to get a newer junkyard car for the parts to retrofit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Mark its a 2015 but by it's build date (12/15) it is a 2016, part of the skip year. I'd be looking to get a newer junkyard car for the parts to retrofit.
    I didn't know a 2016 Mirage existed?

I thought only 2017-19 ES & 2019 LE had manual climate controls, & everything else had auto climate controls. Apparently, I was wrong about that. Sorry!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh no, no, no not to confuse you or make myself look stupid...

It's a 2015 but produced during the "'15 continued production/skipped model year"

And I'm looking to swap the 2017-19 ES manual controls into my 15. Sorry to confuse you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I didn't know a 2016 Mirage existed?

I thought only 2017-19 ES & 2019 LE had manual climate controls, & everything else had auto climate controls. Apparently, I was wrong about that. Sorry!!!!
    The 2015 Mirages were made from August, 2014 to December, 2015 as near as I can tell. A normal model year is usually August-to-August. The 2017s started hitting the lots in March, 2016, so I am sure they had an extended production run as well.

Mitsubishi didn't really 'skip' anything. Production of the Mirage never ceased, we just never got any cars that would be titled as 2016 models. Production of the '15 models ran late, production of the '17 models started early.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    MacClyver, I hope you start a new thread on this. It can include discussion on the planning stages, gathering tools & materials, and of course the work itself. I'm sure it will get a lot of attention.

I'm sure you would be able to sell the automatic climate control bits to help cover your costs.

I don't recall hearing of a Auto Climate Control failure here on the forum yet. I can think of failures of CVTs, heater cores plugging, wire & connector corrosion, noisy rattles, rear axle alignment, et cetera.

But not Auto AC. It's reliable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)