Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First impressions after 1 week

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Oh no, no, no not to confuse you or make myself look stupid...

It's a 2015 but produced during the "'15 continued production/skipped model year"

And I'm looking to swap the 2017-19 ES manual controls into my 15. Sorry to confuse you.
    I should be the one apologizing. When you mentioned you weren't happy with your HVAC system, I assumed you were complaining about a manual climate system. Thus, I concluded that you must have a 2017-19 ES or 2019 LE Mirage. I had it all backwards from the start, & that is totally on me!!!! Thus I am sorry, & I appreciate the clarification. I never heard of a 2016 Mirage, but I wasn't going to argue with you!

When I first became interested in the base level Mirages, some of the changes done in 2017 interested me. The simpler manual climate controls were one of them for sure. I am not bashing the auto controls, but I much rather have the manual ones!

I agree with you - buying a new Mirage to get a few changes like that would be silly! I really like my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), but there isn't anything that you could add to this particular car that would inspire me to pay more for one. Adding a item or two is not a big deal, & I hope that works out for you. I am still on the fence about adding cruise, but it may still happen. Thus, I get where you are coming from.

If someone has been on the fence about buying a new Mirage (especially the manual one), I think the 2019 Mirage has become a very nice package. I know that I sometime rattle on about how you could get these cars for under $10,000, but today's Mirage has a few items (cruise, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, and backup camera) that my 2017 Mirage doesn't have . Thus, I wouldn't expect to find one for that low of a price anymore. I feel a highly discounted Mirage or sightly use one are still a great value!

Sorry for all the confusion and sense of discouragement you may have felt from some of us. Some of us are just clueless! I am a prime example of that! I had it all backward! Oh well, I have always thought "forgiveness" is a beautiful thing!

If someone hears of a smashed up/retired 2017+ Mirage ES, speak up!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (05-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman I'll start the thread on my next day off. Any background info or help you would want to add would be welcome .

This tangent should probably end on this thread though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman, on 5/23/19
    I didn't know the ECO light was based on engine vacuum. I always thought it was based on vehicle speed and engine load, and the light itself computer controlled.

??
    Monitored the MAP and LOD variables on a drive, yep it's engine load, not that I didn't believe you.

The good news is since I posted the review I haven't stalled again. Getting that muscle memory of where the clutch grabs, and getting conscious of just how weak unresponsive they are right off idle.

!!! Yay !!!
    Note the scangauge is set to 0.0%, it's not yet calibrated for this car. Also this drive was close to optimal conditions. The fact that dfco stays active until 1000ish rpm is great too.

I can put this comment to bed:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver, on 3/22/19
    be an actual Mirage driver. If I can't easily average over 50 mpg I just know I'm going to be disappointing. Hope it will be eco friendly enough to my liking.
    Since 2014 in the course of 48K Metro miles my best trip mpg ever was 72.8, once 70.0 and a handful more at or above 68. Getting to 68 mpg in less than two weeks is amazing. On the highway I want to say the Mirage is a little worse MPG wise than a Metro, though it doesn't have a bunch of aeromods taped to it either. City commuting wise they seem an even match. Pretty shocking the EPA rated them 4 mpg worse. After two concerningly inefficient tanks this one is shaping up to be stellar . Also have noticed RPM in gears is nearly identical, which I looked up and calculated at 30 mph to double check:
    First Second Third Fourth Fifth Reverse
    '95 Metro 6643 3684 2489 1778 1473 5671
    '15 Mirage 6458 3485 2387 1773 1465 5855
    Sure 1,2, and R are 200 off but who ever rev matches those gears. The fact that 3 is close, then 4 and 5 are nearly identical is great. I can keep using the "mental rpm table" I already know!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2019),MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Eggman I'll start the thread on my next day off. Any background info or help you would want to add would be welcome .

This tangent should probably end on this thread though.
    All our car's here (2015-2017) have manual heater controls. Did all the merican ones come with auto in the early years? I do prefer manual myself. It's quicker to turn a dial. The kia we have isn't too bad but our armada is a pita. Controls are down low and the display screen is on the top of the dash. Nothing on it makes sense.

Maybe if I have time I'll pull a dash out and take some pics for science. I'm stripping out 4 cars right now and pulling everything I'll need for the next 5-10 years. Hopefully less.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    All our car's here (2015-2017) have manual heater controls. Did all the merican ones come with auto in the early years? I do prefer manual myself. It's quicker to turn a dial. The kia we have isn't too bad but our armada is a pita. Controls are down low and the display screen is on the top of the dash. Nothing on it makes sense.

Maybe if I have time I'll pull a dash out and take some pics for science. I'm stripping out 4 cars right now and pulling everything I'll need for the next 5-10 years. Hopefully less.
    I believe all 2014-15 Mirages in the US came with auto climate controls. I've never seen an older model with manual climate controls. Keep in mind, all U.S. Mirages come standard with A/C, too.

The manual climate controls are found in the 2017-18 base level ES trim levels. In 2019, 3 trim levels (ES/SE/GT) became 5 (ES/RF/LE/SE/GT). The ES/RF/LE have manual climate controls now, and the SE/GT have auto climate controls.

I find the manual controls to be extremely intuitive & simple to operate. Three climate control dials have been around for decades, & I wish they would stick around for a few more decades!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-27-2019 at 02:44 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, at least you don't have to go through a touch screen to change the temperature, even on the automatic ones.

A co-worker of mine is looking for a new car. He and his wife looked at a Tesla Model 3. They liked how it drove, but once they found out you can't even open the glove compartment without going through the touchscreen, they threw up their hands in disgust and walked out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh please Ian don't mention those... From the moment my 7th grade self first heard the rumor of the Tesla Bluestar I wanted one. Then to see what a techy dystopia they were realized to be upon actual production... Such disappointment . If I remember right Tesla also thinks they are too good for a windshield wiper stalk. Because when you're caught in a sudden downpour and can't see the best option is clearly to ignore the road and fumble through on screen menus to restore your forward vision...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe all 2014-15 Mirages in the US came with auto climate controls. I've never seen an older model with manual climate controls. Keep in mind, all U.S. Mirages come standard with A/C, too.

The manual climate controls are found in the 2017-18 base level ES trim levels. In 2019, 3 trim levels (ES/SE/GT) became 5 (ES/RF/LE/SE/GT). The ES/RF/LE have manual climate controls now, and the SE/GT have auto climate controls.

I find the manual controls to be extremely intuitive & simple to operate. Three climate control dials have been around for decades, & I wish they would stick around for a few more decades!
    Yes, all '14 and '15 Mirage DE and ES models have automatic climate control. Confusingly, in '17 Mitsubishi made the base model the ES, and it has manual controls.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 05-28-2019 at 10:17 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my 15 Mirage manual. The only complaints I have is the soft clutch pedal, and I hate the gas gauge. I need my cheaters to read it. I like the old fashioned type.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got this vehicle just yesterday. I fined it unstallable lol