Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions after 1 week

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First impressions after 1 week

While I had briefly driven two Mirages prior to purchasing I really never did a proper test drive. Mostly just researching stats which led me to think this would suit me better than anything else made post 2002. So this is my first impressions of the Mirage.

Cons:
    As I’m sure we all quickly noticed my first complaint was the super light clutch and its lack of feel. I can’t even remember the last time I stalled a Metro and yet in the past week I’ve stalled the Mirage like 5 times. The small tach to the side is annoying also, having it bigger and near center would make it easier to rev match without looking away from the road as long. The presence of the tach is appreciated though. Likewise the no-clutch lockout gates on the shifter are a mixed bag. The gritty feel these add when shifting is annoying. I had gotten into the habit of shifting to neutral sometimes when the engine had no load on it. The “clutch locked gates” prevent that but would presumably prevent a passenger from maliciously taking the car out of gear too, which is nice. Proper HVAC controls would be awesome, and I’ll be sure to get some out of a junkyard 17-19 Mirage once I get an opportunity. The processing latency of the electric throttle could so easily be fixed if only they'd used a throttle cable...

More minor issues: Lack of a lock or other way to open the hatch without unlocking the entire car. Disabling the speedometer/odometer in ACC is a little irritating too, although I suppose that also means that we are free to use one as a RV dinghy and not have the towed miles add up. Going with that is the power steering. Manual steering would be a nice upgrade for such a light car. However unassisted steering isn’t unreasonable to do when coasting. Much easier than fighting the power steering on an Equinox, PT Cruiser, or Prizm. The cold engine light is an obvious cheap out, but temp gauges have been just as useless and ambiguous for a long time. The super fat key is a bit of a nuisance when pocketed.

And benefits: The “ECO” vacuum based toggle light is a nice simple yet useful feature. No need for an FM transmitter or Cassette adapter, the 3.5mm aux is great, and good speaker system. Having a timing chain on what is likely an interference engine. Despite reading “weak brake” comments I find the brakes plenty strong. Using the super eco-friendly R-1234yf refrigerant is awesome. Being able to key unlock the door without the alarm going off should be a given but the fact it doesn’t is a benefit for a new car I guess. Also the existence of a cheap all metal key blank to open the doors or listen to the radio is nice(if only it could start it…). And the radio! No touchscreen, volume dial, and manual tuning(letting you select a station too weak to seek to). Such give me features can’t seem to be taken for granted anymore. Preserving night vision with the orange dash glow was a good consideration. It’s turning radius and ground clearance also are nice. Above all it stays so quiet when driving, which is its biggest benefit in my opinion.

This might have been a bit of a laundry list review but good job Mitsubishi. Would I have been happier getting another Metro: yeah probably. I still prefer my 90’s Suzuki engineering, but I’m sure I’d downright regret just about any other new car. Let's face it a 4000 mile completely perfect Metro isn't around anymore, this was.

Last edited by MacClyver; 05-23-2019 at 10:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    While I had briefly driven two Mirages prior to purchasing I really never did a proper test drive. Mostly just researching stats which led me to think this would suit me better than anything else made post 2002. So this is my first impressions of the Mirage.

Cons:
    As I’m sure we all quickly noticed my first complaint was the super light clutch and its lack of feel. I can’t even remember the last time I stalled a Metro and yet in the past week I’ve stalled the Mirage like 5 times. The small tach to the side is annoying also, having it bigger and near center would make it easier to rev match without looking away from the road as long. The presence of the tach is appreciated though. Likewise the no-clutch lockout gates on the shifter are a mixed bag. The gritty feel these add when shifting is annoying. I had gotten into the habit of shifting to neutral sometimes when the engine had no load on it. The “clutch locked gates” prevent that but would presumably prevent a passenger from maliciously taking the car out of gear too, which is nice. Proper HVAC controls would be awesome, and I’ll be sure to get some out of a junkyard 17-19 Mirage once I get an opportunity. The processing latency of the electric throttle could so easily be fixed if only they'd used a throttle cable...

More minor issues: Lack of a lock or other way to open the hatch without unlocking the entire car. Disabling the speedometer/odometer in ACC is a little irritating too, although I suppose that also means that we are free to use one as a RV dinghy and not have the towed miles add up. Going with that is the power steering. Manual steering would be a nice upgrade for such a light car. However unassisted steering isnÂ’t unreasonable to do when coasting. Much easier than fighting the power steering on an Equinox, PT Cruiser, or Prizm. The cold engine light is an obvious cheap out, but temp gauges have been just as useless and ambiguous for a long time. The super fat key is a bit of a nuisance when pocketed.

And benefits: The “ECO” vacuum based toggle light is a nice simple yet useful feature. No need for an FM transmitter or Cassette adapter, the 3.5mm aux is great, and good speaker system. Having a timing chain on what is likely an interference engine. Despite reading “weak brake” comments I find the brakes plenty strong. Using the super eco-friendly R-1234yf refrigerant is awesome. Being able to key unlock the door without the alarm going off should be a given but the fact it doesn’t is a benefit for a new car I guess. Also the existence of a cheap all metal key blank to open the doors or listen to the radio is nice(if only it could start it…). And the radio! No touchscreen, volume dial, and manual tuning(letting you select a station too weak to seek to). Such give me features can’t seem to be taken for granted anymore. Preserving night vision with the orange dash glow was a good consideration. It’s turning radius and ground clearance also are nice. Above all it stays so quiet when driving, which is its biggest benefit in my opinion.

This might have been a bit of a laundry list review but good job Mitsubishi. Would I have been happier getting another Metro: yeah probably. I still prefer my 90Â’s Suzuki engineering, but IÂ’m sure IÂ’d downright regret just about any other new car. Let's face it a 4000 mile completely perfect Metro isn't around anymore, this was.
    A lot of your complaints will be found in most modern cars. Unless you have something with a cable driven speedometer(early 90's or older) it ain't gonna work unless the ignition is at least in the run position.

I've got a bunch of questions.

What do you mean clutch shift lockout? Are you saying you can't get the shifter out of gear without using the clutch?

Manual steering is alright but power is better. Might not be as necessary on road as off road I guess but it probably helps prevent the steering wheel from spinning crazily out of your hands if you hit a curb or nasty pothole.

What do you mean by proper heater controls? Are you trying to swap from auto to manual controls?

Does your car not have a usb port in the top of the glove box or was that only offered with car that had bluetooth?

I have yet to see a Mirage that is filled with the super eco-friendly r-1234yf refrigerant you speak of. They didn't come in 15's or 17's, maybe they did in the 18's or 19's?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins
    A lot of your complaints will be found in most modern cars.
    Yeah, to quote mt999999(the previous owner): "change is bad". Still gotta appreciate what it doesn't have: a touchscreen, cellular based tracking, the ability to be remotely hacked, and such high tech undesirables.

Also you are correct... Owners Manual shows HFC-134a. Guess this is a case of don't believe everything you read online. That's too bad, that was incorrectly a fact that swayed my decision pretty far. Like a global warming potential of 4 vs 1430 . That's too bad, but it makes me feel better about installing the r134 A/C I bought last fall for my Metro.

Shifter lockout yep, shifter feels locked in place when clutch isn't pressed, and free moment it is. If you have a different model manual vehicle try to move the shifter when the car is stopped and the engine isn't running. You can freely move in and out of gears. Not so with this Mirage.

Yes on the heater controls, if I want it defrosting full blast I don't want to worry about it stopping because it thinks it is warm enough. Before long a newer Mirage manual hvac crash victim is sure to turn up in a junkyard so I'll live with it for now.

I wasn't aware of the USB, just looked and it does. Good to know I can charge without a cirgarette lighter USB adapter.

It still has time to grow on me, and I'm satisfied enough with it even now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Likewise the no-clutch lockout gates on the shifter are a mixed bag. The gritty feel these add when shifting is annoying. I had gotten into the habit of shifting to neutral sometimes when the engine had no load on it. The “clutch locked gates” prevent that but would presumably prevent a passenger from maliciously taking the car out of gear too, which is nice.
    What do you mean by 'lockout gates'?

And benefits: The “ECO” vacuum based toggle light is a nice simple yet useful feature.
    I didn't know the ECO light was based on engine vacuum. I always thought it was based on vehicle speed and engine load, and the light itself computer controlled.

??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The processing latency of the electric throttle could so easily be fixed if only they'd used a throttle cable...
    The delay in throttle-by-wire is deliberate. With a cable throttle, when you lift off the gas to change gears and the throttle plate immediately slams closed, it causes a sudden increase in crankcase pressure, pushing more oil vapors through the PCV system to be burned off in the cylinders. The air/fuel mixture also leans out momentarily, causing a spike in NOx emissions. Driving manual with the instant response of a cable throttle is definitely easier, but also not good for the environment. An electronic throttle allows the computer to step in and slow that last little bit of throttle closure so the engine never leans out.

The computer also needs to be able to take control of the throttle for traction control to work, which the government now requires.

The delay in the Mirage is not so bad. My Yaris was much worse; you'd let off the throttle, push in the clutch, and the revs would just keep climbing. I never got used to it enough to really drive it smoothly. My Mirage feels pretty natural by comparison. I have yet to stall it once.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    Shifter lockout yep, shifter feels locked in place when clutch isn't pressed, and free moment it is. If you have a different model manual vehicle try to move the shifter when the car is stopped and the engine isn't running. You can freely move in and out of gears. Not so with this Mirage.
    I find my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) to be no different than my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X (manual). Both vehicles will shift into any gear without using the clutch while the engine is off on level ground. I could shift both vehicles into all gears including reverse when I tried them tonight.

All of my vehicles have been manuals. I am in my mid-50's. Thus, I have owned a few manuals. I don't find the Mirage to shift any different than any other manual vehicle.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-24-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    While I had briefly driven two Mirages prior to purchasing I really never did a proper test drive. Mostly just researching stats which led me to think this would suit me better than anything else made post 2002. So this is my first impressions of the Mirage

This might have been a bit of a laundry list review but good job Mitsubishi. Would I have been happier getting another Metro: yeah probably. I still prefer my 90Â’s Suzuki engineering, but IÂ’m sure IÂ’d downright regret just about any other new car. Let's face it a 4000 mile completely perfect Metro isn't around anymore, this was.
    I feel the Mirage is more an acquired taste over time. When test driving a Mirage, I doubt many people are blown away by the car. It's not the type of car that makes someone say - "Wow, this is an awesome car!" I went in with the attitude of - "Is this a car that I can live with & appreciate?"

Even though I've never owned a Metro or Suzuki car (did own a Suzuki motorcycle), I am intrigued by the products Suzuki is presently putting out there. The Celerio, Ingnis, Swift, Baleno, Jimny, Vitara, & SX4 S-Cross offered in the UK is a group of vehicles that I would be totally interested in. Then again, I envy their selection of vehicles that come with manual transmissions.

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/

Sadly, I don't see Suzuki coming back to the U.S.

I happen to like the Mirage key. It's less bulky than my Subaru (large key with a remote that is a separate unit connected by a key ring). A flip key would be nicer, but I don't mind it as is. Personally, I like having the key verses a push button start, but I am sort of old school.

I also like the speedometer of the Mirage. I never look at the tachometer while shifting. Heck, I don't even think about it. I drove a Festiva manual for 14 years without a tachometer. I like that the speedometer is simple and uncluttered on the Mirage. I returned a loaner car tonight (2019 Forester Outback). I didn't care for the dash at all. The speedometer is off to the side, because the center is filled up with other garbage. Felt like I was driving a car that designed for someone that doesn't know how to drive. The dash is distraction. Once again, I am not impressed with a lot added features on most newer cars. I miss not having a engine temperature gauge. Neither my Forester or Mirage have them, & I wish they did. I also really like the manual climate controls on my base level Mirage. I prefer the large dials, & I find them very easy to operate.

I don't expect a cheap economy car to be perfect. The Mirage checked three important boxes for me. It's affordable (cheap to buy), reliable (plus a good warranty), and economical (despite being a simple non-hybrid design).

It was interesting reading your thoughts. It's sort of fun to see how we all look at these cars the same and differently at the same time.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-24-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When test driving a Mirage, I doubt many people are blown away by the car. It's not the type of car that makes someone say - "Wow, this is an awesome car!"
    I was, and still am. I am pleasantly surprised by the features included in a cheap economy car.

Regarding the coolant temperature. I was monitoring my coolant temperature through my OBD-II port, a OBDLink LX adapter, and displayed on my phone. I quit doing that a few months ago because I got tired of initiating the link & app on my phone and in the end, it was a bit of a distraction from paying attention to driving. Besides, it wasn't really helping me get from point A to point B.

I'm glad I used it though. I was able to learn more about what's going on during a typical driving cycle.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-24-2019 at 09:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    yet in the past week I’ve stalled the Mirage like 5 times. The small tach to the side is annoying also
    Pro, I get the clutch issue trust me. Also I like the orange glow interior dash lights in my 2014 Mirage 5 speed manual for sure. Easy on the eyes like light brown sunglasses tint. Otherwise pretty bland and austere with manual everything in my Mirage, no A/C, manual heater controls, 2 keys no key fob, and power windows up front, roll downs out back. Who needs air in Canada anyways?

The Mirage interior has its quirks and is all around a bit of a different or even slightly weird feel to the seats and room, ok for what it is but not great. Why is the interior all black and barely any chrome, then the interior roof is all white.

The Mirage is roomier and has a nicer interior than the 2017 Lancer I had as a rental recently, but the Lancer looks better, like the exterior does.

You see a lot of customized Lancers in Alberta and out Western Canada way. I drove across much of central Alberta recently, and many Lancers are AWD I suppose, makes sense. No Mirages sadly. Fuso Mitsubishi truck dealer however.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    The lack of instrumentation can be easily fixed with a ScanGauge.

Here are some mounting ideas...

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...gauge-II-mount

...good speaker system.
    ...it stays so quiet when driving, which is its biggest benefit in my opinion.
    Ummm...are you sure you have a Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-24-2019)