Thread: Sanding Break Pads

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Sanding Break Pads

Hi there,

Q: What sandpaper should i use in sanding and cleaning my break pads? ill be doing my tire rotation and do the break cleaning but only with the front.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Why would one sand brake pads?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi there,

Q: What sandpaper should i use in sanding and cleaning my break pads? ill be doing my tire rotation and do the break cleaning but only with the front.
    I'd use a fine grade sand paper and make sure you use a dust mask! You DON'T want to inhale asbestos - it will stay in your lungs and cause all sorts of nasty medical conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelblender View Post
    I'd use a fine grade sand paper and make sure you use a dust mask! You DON'T want to inhale asbestos - it will stay in your lungs and cause all sorts of nasty medical conditions.
    Are brake shoes and pads still made with asbestos? I thought asbestos has been banned long ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-22-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelblender View Post
    so does a 800grit will do?

Its because from the past PMS i had with the dealer i saw them clean the pads with sandpaper not sure why.

So now that im doin my own pms i wanted to do the same practice maybe because it has benefits when you do sanpapering the breaks. When they did it to my car before i can feel much that the breaks are responsive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    so does a 800grit will do?

Its because from the past PMS i had with the dealer i saw them clean the pads with sandpaper not sure why.

So now that im doin my own pms i wanted to do the same practice maybe because it has benefits when you do sanpapering the breaks. When they did it to my car before i can feel much that the breaks are responsive.
    You may feel a difference in operation but that will soon go away with use. Look up bedding in brakes.

I think sanding brake pads would be called for if they were glazed - shiny in appearance. If your brake pads were glazed, this would indicate some other problem that would need to be addressed. Unless there is some reason why one would want to do this (except you saw some technician doing it) I would advise against this practice.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in with their advice.