Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not getting the magical mileage that is advertised for this car.

Country
    Singapore
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Yeah, most car's "fuel economy" gauges are wildly optimistic, but the Mirage's MPG readout is only 1-2mpg above reality, on average.
    I'm from Singapore, what's the fuel economy listed by the manufacturer in your country. Ours listed as 20.4km/l, most are getting about 12 to 13km/l only, far from the advertised specs. Ours is the Mitsubishi Attrage with a spacious boot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dafansu View Post
    I'm from Singapore, what's the fuel economy listed by the manufacturer in your country. Ours listed as 20.4km/l, most are getting about 12 to 13km/l only, far from the advertised specs. Ours is the Mitsubishi Attrage with a spacious boot.
    dafansu have a look at the forum Fuel Economy Log for your answer. There, forum members report their results. You can use it too.

There's a link to the Fuel Economy Log at the top of every forum page served.

I find it easy to reach and improve on the advertised fuel economy. Of the owners getting 12 to 13km/l, what are their driving habits?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Here's our dilemma. My fiancee and I were driving around today, mostly on the highway and never going above 70 mpg. There AC was on low and their was no added weight, besides us (about 400lbs) and still we couldnt break 37.5 mpg. The G4 tires were inflated at 35 psi as well. Im concerned there is an issue with the engine. The engine is brand new because for some mysterious reason, that the service manager didnt fully explain, the first engine blew up
    and was replaced. Could the two be related? Is this just the new engine break in period? Or could the engine replacement indicate something more nefarious. The car was fully inspected at a Mitsubishi dealership. Any thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Here's our dilemma. My fiancee and I were driving around today, mostly on the highway and never going above 70 mpg. There AC was on low and their was no added weight, besides us (about 400lbs) and still we couldnt break 37.5 mpg. The G4 tires were inflated at 35 psi as well. Im concerned there is an issue with the engine. The engine is brand new because for some mysterious reason, that the service manager didnt fully explain, the first engine blew up
    and was replaced. Could the two be related? Is this just the new engine break in period? Or could the engine replacement indicate something more nefarious. The car was fully inspected at a Mitsubishi dealership. Any thoughts?
    It's hard to control all the variables (like wind direction), but could you repeat the same trip (approximate same load) with your Mrage, & see how it compares to her G4?

We could rattle off what we get for mpg, but that may not be all that helpful to you?
    Last edited by Mark; 06-25-2019 at 01:31 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    ...driving around today, mostly on the highway
    ...never going above 70 mpg
    ...AC was on low
    ...still we couldn't break 37.5 mpg.
    Not knowing your driving habits or where you were driving, that may be a completely normal mpg.

Try this test..

• Set your dash indicator to read instant fuel economy.
    • Find a fairly level stretch of freeway.
    • Slow down to about 55-60.
    • Do not use the cruise control.
    • Turn the AC completely OFF.
    • Try to tolerate this for a few miles.

You should be in the low-mid 50 mpg range at that point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Any thoughts?
    What is your driving terrain like on this trip? Is the roads flat or hilly?

Like Top_Fuel says - slow down and see what happens. I've found this car rewards easy driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    [LIST][*]Set your dash indicator to read instant fuel economy.
    How do you select it for instant mpg?? I've only been able to find average. I think it would be nice to see what I'm getting as I'm driving along the highway @ different speeds...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Not knowing your driving habits or where you were driving, that may be a completely normal mpg.

Try this test..

• Set your dash indicator to read instant fuel economy.
    • Find a fairly level stretch of freeway.
    • Slow down to about 55-60.
    • Do not use the cruise control.
    • Turn the AC completely OFF.
    • Try to tolerate this for a few miles.

You should be in the low-mid 50 mpg range at that point.
    Slowing down to 55-60 isnt an option on Atlanta highways unfortunately, but that could be the issue. But still we only did 70 and that shouldnt drop us to high 30s right? Atlanta is a hilly town too. My main concern is the engine replacement, I think Im the only Mirage G4 owner on here that bought a used vehicle with a brand new engine. That could point to some other inefficientcies of the vehicle?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    How do you select it for instant mpg??
    I should clarify this. There is no "instant" mpg reading on the Mirage's dash display. But there is a calculated mpg value that is updated once about every 30 seconds as you drive. If you reset this value while you are driving, it will give you some decent feedback as to your current mpg...

Name:  range.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  display.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  57.6 KB

If you want something to give you instant real-time fuel mileage, then you want to look into something like a ScanGauge. A device like this will tell you exactly what is killing your fuel mileage. Like driving 70mph uphill with the AC on...
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-25-2019 at 05:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Atlanta is a hilly town too.
    That's a big factor right there. That's why I was telling you to find a stretch of flat road.

My main concern is the engine replacement...
    The new engine wouldn't concern me too much (but I'll have to admit I'm curious how someone "blew up" a new engine?!?). At almost 38mpg, you aren't that far off what a CVT is normally going to get given the conditions you are driving in currently (fast, hilly, running the AC). Go look at the fuel economy log. How many cars do you see in there regularly breaking 40+ mpg? Not many.