Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Not getting the magical mileage that is advertised for this car.

Yeah, a tire isn't gonna blow up if you don't follow the recommendation on the sticker on the door pillar.

To the op, what tires do you have? Stock size, or oversized.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's a big factor right there. That's why I was telling you to find a stretch of flat road.

The new engine wouldn't concern me too much (but I'll have to admit I'm curious how someone "blew up" a new engine?!?). At almost 38mpg, you aren't that far off what a CVT is normally going to get given the conditions you are driving in currently (fast, hilly, running the AC). Go look at the fuel economy log. How many cars do you see in there regularly breaking 40+ mpg? Not many.
    Im concerned that the Mitsubishi service manager couldnt give me a straight answer. "Maybe the previous owner just didnt put oil in it?" As if he didnt have detailed records right in front of his face. Im hoping since the new engine is barely 5 months old it just has to break in. My 2014 Hatch however is getting great mpg daily, city driving up to 41 mpg!

Maybe the dealership left the oil filter or drain plug loose and are too embarrassed to admit it lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-25-2019),Eggman (06-25-2019),itschad (06-25-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I have read this thread with much interest and some disbelief. In over 40 years of driving there have been occasions where I have inadvertently over inflated tyre/tyres and is quite noticeable when driving. When I picked up my Mirage a few days ago I knew the tyres were over inflated, upon checking each were 2-3 psi over. They were soon corrected. On a safety issue over inflated tyres affect handling amounting to roll which is potentially dangerous along with the fact you increase the likelihood of a tyre burst. Not to mention uneven wear and short tyre life.

The UK cars require 32 psi (2.2 bar) for the front and 35 psi (2.4 bar) for rear. If fully laden may require adjustment though.
    I believe the OP should rethink and stick to manufacturers recommendations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I have read this thread with much interest and some disbelief.
    I run 45 - 50 psi and have done so since I brought the car home. I'm still on the same tires that came with the car.

Increasing tire pressure improves fuel economy. It's cheap and simple. Of all modifications it has the best return on investment.

Try increasing the pressure in your tires 5 psi at a time and see what you think. Watch your fuel consumption drop. Like a money back guarantee, you can always go back if you don't like it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-25-2019),TheProfessorKMB (03-05-2024)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe the dealership left the oil filter or drain plug loose and are too embarrassed to admit it lol
    Now thats a thought!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I have read this thread with much interest and some disbelief. In over 40 years of driving there have been occasions where I have inadvertently over inflated tyre/tyres and is quite noticeable when driving. When I picked up my Mirage a few days ago I knew the tyres were over inflated, upon checking each were 2-3 psi over. They were soon corrected. On a safety issue over inflated tyres affect handling amounting to roll which is potentially dangerous along with the fact you increase the likelihood of a tyre burst. Not to mention uneven wear and short tyre life.

The UK cars require 32 psi (2.2 bar) for the front and 35 psi (2.4 bar) for rear. If fully laden may require adjustment though.
    I believe the OP should rethink and stick to manufacturers recommendations.
    How much selection if 165 65 r14 tires do you have in England? Here in the states its 2 and theyre both over priced (Dunlops and Potenzas). Good thing there plenty of extra space in the tire wells to switch up to a bigger, cheaper size.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Here in the states its 2 and theyre both over priced (Dunlops and Potenzas).
    Don't be silly. There's more choices in the stock size.

Tire Comparison

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Now that you know the higher psi hasn't helped, I would at least bring them down to the recommended maximum psi stamped on the tire. MPG shouldn't trump safety first. I am not only concerned for you, but those around you. Higher psi may decrease your overall traction (especially wet traction). Plus, your tires aren't going to wear right over time.

Chad wholeheartedly agrees with this.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That happened to me with a Volvo some 22 years ago in Harrogate. Fortunately no serious damage done. They cleaned up the engine bay, another oil & filter and a free future service too.