Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New owner

I bought a base Mirage yesterday. Only options are floor mats and arm rest. Looking for new wheels and tires so I can use the steeliness for winter tires. What do you think will look best with the silver car?

I enjoyed the tractor engine feel getting 45.8 mpg on the way home from the dealership. The clutch is light and vague but the shifter isn't as bad as I thought. Its ride is almost the same as the 2016 Outlander I traded in. I don't know if that's good for the Mirage or bad for the Outlander! 18" wheels and tires in Cleveland aren't the best choice.

Lots of thoughts but I don't want to babble.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    I bought a base Mirage yesterday. Only options are floor mats and arm rest. Looking for new wheels and tires so I can use the steeliness for winter tires. What do you think will look best with the silver car?

I enjoyed the tractor engine feel getting 45.8 mpg on the way home from the dealership. The clutch is light and vague but the shifter isn't as bad as I thought. Its ride is almost the same as the 2016 Outlander I traded in. I don't know if that's good for the Mirage or bad for the Outlander! 18" wheels and tires in Cleveland aren't the best choice.

Lots of thoughts but I don't want to babble.
    Welcome aboard...and please, babble on! It's what we do here!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello neighbor! Glad you could join us.

I got my Speck from Sunnyside back in March of 2016. They had some good rebates going on, and their service department has been top shelf, even for my little Mirage.

Tires are a good start for making a Mirage your own. Let me find some threads for you to read:

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires
    Excellent write-up. Highly recommended reading.

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

Craigslist finds

Rear Alignment Problem FAQ
    Get yours checked by an independent shop first. NTB offers free alignment checks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2019),Tomfromparma (05-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We used to say well to the "bored" when a new member joined our message board!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfromparma For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-26-2019)

Seconded: babble away. It's what we do.

What prompted you to trade the Outlander?

I dig the 'tractor engine' vibe too. I read a number of US reviews back when the car first arrived that jokingly said it sounds like half a Porsche 6-cylinder. Not having driven one of those, I cannot confirm!

Anyway, welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Seconded: babble away. It's what we do.

What prompted you to trade the Outlander?

I dig the 'tractor engine' vibe too. I read a number of US reviews back when the car first arrived that jokingly said it sounds like half a Porsche 6-cylinder. Not having driven one of those, I cannot confirm!

Anyway, welcome!
    I got rid of the Outlander for a number of reasons. Mainly it wasn’t the right car for me. I was in an accident and needed to replace my Caravan. New vans were too expensive and used ones were trashed. I thought it would be cool to have an suv so I started looking at them. I got mine used in October and by Thanksgiving it was wearing on me. 100 fewer horsepower and the same or worse fuel economy as the van. I no longer enjoyed it so I started looking for a replacement. I helped my sister-in-law get herself a Mirage a couple of years ago and remembered liking what the car was and wasn’t. To me it’s a combination of my 1986 Civic SI and my 2010 Yaris. Interesting to drive but a little unrefined. If you manage your expectations for this car it will never let you down.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomfromparma For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-27-2019),Fummins (05-27-2019),inuvik (05-28-2019)

Managing expectations is the secret to happiness.

I helped my sister-in-law get herself a Mirage a couple of years ago and remembered liking what the car was and wasn’t.
    Plot twist!

How's she liking it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome from another new owner.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Welcome!

My daughter has what folks in Europe call a triplet. The Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, and Citroen C1 are three badges for basically the same car, the triplet. At first glance it is quite similar to the Mirage. At second glance compared with the more expensive triplet, the Mirage seems a whole lot more refined!
    If you ever think a Mirage is too basic, look at a triplet! Don't miss comparing the workmanship! The sheet metal seams on the Mirage are sealed. On a triplet underbody you can search for sealant, so primitive. The Mirage is neither basic nor primitive, take a closer look at the competition and you will see.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-01-2019),MetroMPG (05-29-2019)

Foama... I remember seeing Top Gear using a bunch of Aygos to play car soccer/football.

Unforfunately for us, the only car for sale on this side of the pond that's close to the Mirage is the Spark in the U.S. (plus the Micra in Canada). Both of which have 4-cyl engines only.