Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First tank was 42.75 mpg mostly turnpike speeds. Can't wait to see when it's fully broken in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfromparma For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    I got rid of the Outlander for a number of reasons. Mainly it wasn’t the right car for me. I was in an accident and needed to replace my Caravan. New vans were too expensive and used ones were trashed. I thought it would be cool to have an suv so I started looking at them. I got mine used in October and by Thanksgiving it was wearing on me. 100 fewer horsepower and the same or worse fuel economy as the van. I no longer enjoyed it so I started looking for a replacement. I helped my sister-in-law get herself a Mirage a couple of years ago and remembered liking what the car was and wasn’t. To me it’s a combination of my 1986 Civic SI and my 2010 Yaris. Interesting to drive but a little unrefined. If you manage your expectations for this car it will never let you down.
    Many car critics (especially in the U.S.) really do the American consumers a disservice when it comes to the Mirage. Sadly, I almost overlooked the Mirage. This forum, consumer reviews (kbb.com & cars.com), & European car reviews erased my initial concerns about the car.

I like the Mirage for what it is (affordable, reliable, & economical). Those three traits aren't valued that much in the U.S. market. Thus, the Mirage has very little competition. Sadly, more expensive/less reliable vehicles are more popular here.

Some people don't get small economy cars. Apparently, you are not one of them!

Welcome to the forum!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    First tank was 42.75 mpg mostly turnpike speeds. Can't wait to see when it's fully broken in.
    That's pretty good on the turnpike.

1. Consider adding more air pressure to your tires to reduce rolling resistance. I usually have 45 - 50 psi in my tires, the original Enasaves.
    2. Fuel economy improves with lower speeds, as wind resistance is reduced. Slow down and watch what happens. I have lots of trips with my Multi-Instrument Display (MID) registering over 60mpg. I just don't make lots of those trips, as most of my driving is a 15-minute commute to work.

Those two suggestions on improving fuel economy cost nothing, and have a great return on the investment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Welcome!

My daughter has what folks in Europe call a triplet. The Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, and Citroen C1 are three badges for basically the same car, the triplet. At first glance it is quite similar to the Mirage. At second glance compared with the more expensive triplet, the Mirage seems a whole lot more refined!
    If you ever think a Mirage is too basic, look at a triplet! Don't miss comparing the workmanship! The sheet metal seams on the Mirage are sealed. On a triplet underbody you can search for sealant, so primitive. The Mirage is neither basic nor primitive, take a closer look at the competition and you will see.
    I thought I remembered reading about how Mitsubishi did the sealant on the Mirages very well. Which seemed to surprise the critic lol.