Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmunds: Top 7 budget commuters for 2019

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mustang & Focus crossover will be only Ford cars on the market in North America by 2020.
    That just makes me think how hilarious it is to pass a Mustang in a Mirage...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    That just makes me think how hilarious it is to pass a Mustang in a Mirage...
    The Mustang owner has too many speeding tickets?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I dont understand why these articles keep saying the Mirage cant keep up on the highway? I drive 75+
    I think it's a simple case of the Mirage suffering by comparison. Car reviewers are used to driving powerful cars -- in many cases, cars more powerful than most normal people ever drive.

I'm used to ~50 hp, 3 seasons of the year (my beater Chevy Metro). So to me, a Mirage feels pretty speedy ... by comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-24-2019),inuvik (07-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think it's a simple case of the Mirage suffering by comparison. Car reviewers are used to driving powerful cars -- in many cases, cars more powerful than most normal people ever drive.

I'm used to ~50 hp, 3 seasons of the year (my beater Chevy Metro). So to me, a Mirage feels pretty speedy ... by comparison.
    Absolutely right. A new Honda Accord will do 0-60 in around six seconds. That is about the same as a 1990 Corvette. Most new cars are just ridiculously...and unnecessarily...fast.

What's worse is the majority of people who buy powerful cars never use more than about 30% of the power they pay for. Ever try merging into 70 mph freeway traffic behind someone in a Lexus RC350 who seems terrified of going more than 45?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-24-2019),dspace9 (07-25-2019),Fummins (07-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    What's worse is the majority of people who buy powerful cars never use more than about 30% of the power they pay for. Ever try merging into 70 mph freeway traffic behind someone in a Lexus RC350 who seems terrified of going more than 45?
    Haha! Right! Especially when merging onto the highway. There's been so many times where they keep a constant speed ON the ramp and then when they're ON the highway (with cars 1/4 mile away behind or in front of them), then they accelerate. (sighs).

But really, I agree that most new cars are pretty powerful for what they are, especially when they will never use the full power of the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (07-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Are the Potenzas quieter too? Thats what I have on the hatch. My fiancee has the dunlops on the G4.
    I have Potenzas on my Mirage right now too, and they don't seem any quieter (or louder) than the original Dunlops.

I do find the Potenzas squeal more in corners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    But really, I agree that most new cars are pretty powerful for what they are, especially when they will never use the full power of the car.
    The Mirage sort of goes against the trend you see in America, and that's the Mirage's appeal to me.

It's not just cars that I see this happening with. For example - ATV engines have continued to get larger & more powerful. It's reached a point where power steering was added to deal with all that extra weight. Thus making the ATV even heavier. It becomes a vicious cycle, & I don't get sucked into it.

Practical doesn't seem to drive sales these days, but it should!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Seems a lot of people here don't have many short onramps.

Remember, I love my car, but it is nearly dangerous on ALL of my local roads. Lots of stop signs turning onto roads where traffic does 120, lots of short on ramps where balls to the wall has you doing 90 merging into traffic doing 115-130.

The car is slow. To say "it can do 170" is fine, it can. But when you need to get moving the car doesn't.

Just because lots of us has a quiet commute doesn't mean some people are comfortable merging onto a highway doing half the rate of traffic. Lots of sketchy moments.

Hell, I have one stop sign at the end of my street, highway onto highway. In the Micra I punt it, and if somebody clears the hill doing 125 just as I start the turn, I'm doing 125 before they catch up.

In the Mirage, I'm doing 85, and since it's the 0-30 where it truly struggles, more of that time is spent not moving. I've had to start turning into oncoming and then merging into my lane when I'm up to speed.

If that stretch had any more traffic on it, it would be totally impossible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My wife also gets stuck behind traffic on her drive home. I can pass 3-4 cars between the bends, and keep doing 105.

The Mirage can't get out of it's own way, so if she hits somebody doing 85, she's stuck. Can, not, pass. Not nimble enough to make it happen. I can do it in the Mirage if I fall back then plan a running start around the corner to the next short straight but it's not fun. Easily 5 minutes every day I can beat her home by, and while she drives aggressively, I've passed her and 4 other cars at once before. She would, if she could.

That's the difference between a 7 second 80-120 and 15+ second.
    Last edited by nickels; 07-26-2019 at 10:49 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    My wife also gets stuck behind traffic on her drive home. I can pass 3-4 cars between the bends, and keep doing 105.

The Mirage can't get out of it's own way, so if she hits somebody doing 85, she's stuck. Can, not, pass. Not nimble enough to make it happen.
    Good on gas and insurance and cheap to run and reliable, that's what I want in an economy car.

My Mirage 5+ years ownership has been basically o.k. but you still want a faster car, bigger and better in the winter etc. Who doesn't think that when you are driving an econo box??

To Mark's point I think the reason cars, ATVs, even motorcycles are getting bloated is people want comfort. Nobody wants to switch gears, or have manual steering. So much work! But why do people want trucks and vans to haul sooo much stuff? Hoarding maybe has to do with it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)