Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmunds: Top 7 budget commuters for 2019

Edmunds: Top 7 budget commuters for 2019

Edmunds asks:

What to do when you need a car that can rack up miles but not your debt ratio?

Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_HR_5$large.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  87.8 KB

...cars that deliver good fuel economy and have features to ensure your sanity on long drives. The first four are tops among Edmunds editors for extra-small sedans . Other choices in the class round out the list in alphabetical order.
    1) FORD FIESTA
    2) KIA RIO
    3) HYUNDAI ACCENT
    4) TOYOTA YARIS
    5) CHEVROLET SPARK
    6) MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
    7) NISSAN VERSA

And they didn't even mention that that they're all tin can deathtraps!

Though they couldn't resist adding the hysterical comment that the Mirage has problems keeping up with normal traffic.

No non-hybrid budget car can match the Mirage’s 43 mpg on the highway and 39 mpg combined. ... But you’ll be moving slowly as the Mirage’s three-cylinder engine struggles to keep pace with traffic.
    Hey, maybe that makes it safer? It's a feature, not a bug!

Full article: https://www.boston.com/cars/car-guid...-commuter-cars

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-02-2019),Cobrajet (05-27-2019),Eggman (05-27-2019),Top_Fuel (05-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Edmunds asks:

What to do when you need a car that can rack up miles but not your debt ratio?

Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_HR_5$large.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  87.8 KB

1) FORD FIESTA
    2) KIA RIO
    3) HYUNDAI ACCENT
    4) TOYOTA YARIS
    5) CHEVROLET SPARK
    6) MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
    7) NISSAN VERSA

And they didn't even mention that that they're all tin can deathtraps!

Though they couldn't resist adding the hysterical comment that the Mirage has problems keeping up with normal traffic.

Hey, maybe that makes it safer? It's a feature, not a bug!

Full article: https://www.boston.com/cars/car-guid...-commuter-cars
    I dont understand why these articles keep saying the Mirage cant keep up on the highway? I drive 75+ on one of the most dangerous highways in America, I75, and its just fine. Just turning the radio on at middle volume stiffles out most of the road noise. Unbelievable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I dont understand why these articles keep saying the Mirage cant keep up on the highway? I drive 75+ on one of the most dangerous highways in America, I75, and its just fine. Just turning the radio on at middle volume stiffles out most of the road noise. Unbelievable.
    Road noise isn't just something to drown out. I'm sure it also isn't great for one's hearing if too loud.

As for keeping up on the freeway, I know I've had brief stints passing at 80+MPH, and the engine doesn't feel maxed out at that speed.

(I also drive on I-75, just nowhere near you )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Road noise isn't just something to drown out. I'm sure it also isn't great for one's hearing if too loud.

As for keeping up on the freeway, I know I've had brief stints passing at 80+MPH, and the engine doesn't feel maxed out at that speed.

(I also drive on I-75, just nowhere near you )
    The road noise isnt that bad to begin with though. I doubt it would damage your hearing. �� Road noise was just as bad in the Versa, Mazda2, and Yaris I test drove IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The road noise isnt that bad to begin with though. I doubt it would damage your hearing. �� Road noise was just as bad in the Versa, Mazda2, and Yaris I test drove IMO.
    Road noise varies significantly by speed and tire/pavement surface. The road noise in the Mirage is okay, for the most part, but some roads are REALLY noisy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Road noise varies significantly by speed and tire/pavement surface. The road noise in the Mirage is okay, for the most part, but some roads are REALLY noisy.
    When I switched from the Enasaves to the Federal SS657's road noise was reduced dramatically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (07-22-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Are the Potenzas quieter too? Thats what I have on the hatch. My fiancee has the dunlops on the G4.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    1) FORD FIESTA
    2) KIA RIO
    3) HYUNDAI ACCENT
    4) TOYOTA YARIS
    5) CHEVROLET SPARK
    6) MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
    7) NISSAN VERSA

I seem to pass more people in my Mirage than people pass me? I haven't seen a speed limit in the U.S. the Mirage couldn't handle yet?

If a Ford F150 & Mitsubishi Mirage are both traveling 60 mph on the highway, which vehicle is going faster? Maybe car reviewers can't answer simple questions like that?

If the Fiesta has a dual-clutch transmission like the Focus, those cars are ticking time bombs. Cars shouldn't have transmission issues before 15,000 miles. My driving school bought 6 of them, & I am not impressed!

Ford knew & kept selling this junk anyways. It may come back to bite them yet?

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The Ford controversy could help Mirage sales considering our cars have earned a good reputation for durability and cheap cost after 5 years on the market

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    The Ford controversy could help Mirage sales considering our cars have earned a good reputation for durability and cheap cost after 5 years on the market
    The Mirage's competition for sales will not be coming from Ford in the near future, unless something changes.

Ford is phasing out the following vehicles in North America

Ford Fiesta (1978-1980, 2011-2019) ...
    Ford Focus (2000-2018) ...
    Ford C-Max Hybrid (2013-2018) ...
    Ford Fusion (2005-2020?) ...
    Ford Taurus (1986-2020)

The Mustang & Focus crossover will be only Ford cars on the market in North America by 2020.