Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with OEM Rockford Frosgate Wiring Install

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Problems with OEM Rockford Frosgate Wiring Install

Hi all,

I recently purchased the Rockford Frosgate OEM subwoofer and amp assembly add-on to install in my '17 Mirage SE hatchback. I've run into a problem and was wondering if someone had any insight?
    My new piggyback wiring harness doesn't seem to fit into the old harness. I ordered the part specifically for my car so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something, I simply cannot figure out how to wire the thing. Do I need to purchase an additional adapter of some sort, or re-wire the clips?

Here's a few pics, 1 of the old wiring harness that goes into the head unit, 1 of the new wiring piggyback harness, and 1 of the head unit.

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/Julz1...a-23514ee24f21

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/Julz1...b-21daaced994c

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/Julz1...a-975fc8bbdd87

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Julz

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't have that issue on my 2019 with the basic display radio. However, I thought I read that the display with the CD player uses an adaptor harness so follow the radio harness back a bit and see if there's an adaptor plugged into the car's wiring harness for it.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JuLz View Post
    Hi all,

I recently purchased the Rockford Frosgate OEM subwoofer and amp assembly add-on to install in my '17 Mirage SE hatchback. I've run into a problem and was wondering if someone had any insight?
    My new piggyback wiring harness doesn't seem to fit into the old harness. I ordered the part specifically for my car so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something, I simply cannot figure out how to wire the thing. Do I need to purchase an additional adapter of some sort, or re-wire the clips?

Here's a few pics, 1 of the old wiring harness that goes into the head unit, 1 of the new wiring piggyback harness, and 1 of the head unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Julz
    Julz, could you provide some more info, like what part number kit did you get and from what vendor? Also, exactly what radio are you working with? The 2017 Mirage was offered with two different display audio radios.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies,

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I didn't have that issue on my 2019 with the basic display radio. However, I thought I read that the display with the CD player uses an adaptor harness so follow the radio harness back a bit and see if there's an adaptor plugged into the car's wiring harness for it.
    I do in fact have the touch screen display with the cd player, and I can not find a separate plug in further back along the original wiring harness. I took a couple more pictures and linked to an album below.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Julz, could you provide some more info, like what part number kit did you get and from what vendor? Also, exactly what radio are you working with? The 2017 Mirage was offered with two different display audio radios.
    I bought the Rockford Frosgate kit from Mitsubishi Parts Now (Part#: AMG14EAB01)
    https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/o...tem-amg14eab01

It looks like my head unit is Part#: MZ360500EX

I was having some problems with photo bucket, so I re-uploaded to imgbb.com along with a few more photos:
    https://ibb.co/album/nKow6F

Julz

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2017 SE that has the Rockford Fosgate kit installed by the dealer before I bought the car. I'll take a look tomorrow and see where the plug you are looking for is. I'm pretty sure its a 20 pin connector in the wad of foam tape a few inches from the connectors that plug into back of the Display Audio head unit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies,

I do in fact have the touch screen display with the cd player, and I can not find a separate plug in further back along the original wiring harness. I took a couple more pictures and linked to an album below.

I bought the Rockford Frosgate kit from Mitsubishi Parts Now (Part#: AMG14EAB01)
    https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/o...tem-amg14eab01

It looks like my head unit is Part#: MZ360500EX

I was having some problems with photo bucket, so I re-uploaded to imgbb.com along with a few more photos:
    https://ibb.co/album/nKow6F

Julz
    I have two observations:
    1. Part #AMG14EAB01 worked on my Mirage with a standard non-touchscreen display. I'm afraid yours is the wrong kit for your radio.
    2. Please consider uploading your photos to the forum rather than use a photo sharing service. For a variety of reasons photo sharing services usually stop working at some future point. It makes viewing threads more difficult as important details become lost.

If you need help using the forum picture system, let us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    JuLz, I pulled the Display Audio head unit on my 2017 SE and found the connector you are looking for. It is in the wad of foam tape about 4 or 5 inches from the connectors that plug into the back of the head unit. There is a twenty pin connector in that needs disconnected and the plugs from the Rockford Fosgate unit plugged into the connectors you just pulled apart. I'm attaching some photos.

The 1st photo shows the plugs that go into the back of the head unit on the left, in the middle is the 20 pin connector that is wrapped partially in foam tape, with one of the plugs to the RF unit plugged in, and in the background you can see the other plug from the RF unit with the plug that used to go to the 20 pin plug in the middle of the photo.

The 2nd photo is a little closer view of the background plug in the 1st photo.

The 3rd photo you should be familiar with, the connectors from the Rockford Fosgate unit.

The 4th photo is the plugs that go into the back of the head unit and the 20 pin connector unplugged, that you should find in the wad of foam tape.

If you don't find that 20 pin connector in the wad of foam tape then I don't know what is wrong with your car.

Eggman, I am pretty sure he has the right Rockford Fosgate unit, I believe on your car the RF connector plugs straight into the back of your radio then the connector that used to go in your radio goes to the other RF connector. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Name:  IMG_3763.JPG
Views: 2109
Size:  75.4 KBName:  IMG_3764.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  37.5 KBName:  IMG_3767.JPG
Views: 2204
Size:  78.0 KBName:  IMG_3768.JPG
Views: 2083
Size:  89.7 KB

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (05-28-2019),Cobrajet (05-28-2019),Eggman (05-28-2019),JuLz (05-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks daleWV for clarifying that. I forgot about that adapter harness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow!!! Thank you Dale!
    Upon further inspection, the connection I was looking for was indeed 4 inches down the original wiring harness under 2 strips of foam tape. It was really secured in there and not easy to see.
    Your pictures helped tremendously. I "piggy backed" the new Rockford harness from the amp into the old harness adapter that was wrapped tightly in foam tape, which allowed me to use the old harness plugs for my head unit. Everything is plugged in.
    So thankfully I do indeed have the correct kit.

Name:  Dash Harness Hooked Up.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  93.3 KB

The steering wheel radio controls and call functions along with the microphone all work.
    The Rockford system sounds good, but isn't overly loud. I was hoping for a little more bass and slightly less distortion. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and came to the conclusion that I need to do a firmware update on my amplifier and/or head unit.
    Would anyone happen to know where I can obtain the necessary firmware/software updates and instructions on how to go about doing the upgrade process?

I've contacted The Rockford company and they informed me that in order to update my Flex41 amp, I'd have to contact Mitsubishi. I'd rather do the upgrade myself if possible.

Julz

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Wow!!! Thank you Dale!
    Upon further inspection, the connection I was looking for was indeed 4 inches down the original wiring harness under 2 strips of foam tape. It was really secured in there and not easy to see.
    Your pictures helped tremendously. I "piggy backed" the new Rockford harness from the amp into the old harness adapter that was wrapped tightly in foam tape, which allowed me to use the old harness plugs for my head unit. Everything is plugged in.
    So thankfully I do indeed have the correct kit.

Name:  Dash Harness Hooked Up.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  93.3 KB

The steering wheel radio controls and call functions along with the microphone all work.
    The Rockford system sounds good, but isn't overly loud. I was hoping for a little more bass and slightly less distortion. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and came to the conclusion that I need to do a firmware update on my amplifier and/or head unit.
    Would anyone happen to know where I can obtain the necessary firmware/software updates and instructions on how to go about doing the upgrade process?

I've contacted The Rockford company and they informed me that in order to update my Flex41 amp, I'd have to contact Mitsubishi. I'd rather do the upgrade myself if possible.

Julz
    Glad you got it sorted out. In order for the Fosgate system to sound right, you have to take it to the dealership and have the subwoofer function activated in your head unit.