Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with OEM Rockford Frosgate Wiring Install

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We can't hack it ourselves with sketchy Russian software?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JuLz View Post
    I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and came to the conclusion that I need to do a firmware update on my amplifier and/or head unit.
    Would anyone happen to know where I can obtain the necessary firmware/software updates and instructions on how to go about doing the upgrade process?

I've contacted The Rockford company and they informed me that in order to update my Flex41 amp, I'd have to contact Mitsubishi. I'd rather do the upgrade myself if possible.

Julz
    Loading new files into the RF amp takes some RF software and a USB cable. If the USB cable is an OTG cable, it should be easy to do it yourself.

Also, glad to hear you got things worked out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wanted to give an update-

According to a slip of paper that came with my RF (Rockford Fosgate) upgrade kit, I needed Rockford's amplifier update, so I called the Rockford company directly. They couldn't help me and told me that I would have to talk to my dealer. So I called my dealer and they told me they wouldn't update my amp for free if my Mirage wasn't an OEM RF model. My Mirage isn't an RF model. As a last attempt at getting my amp updated I decided to email the Rockford company instead of calling. An employee responded back within a day or 2 and told me he would be able to help me out. I gave him my address and he mailed out the amp update kit (a usb stick attached to an OTG usb cable) along with instructions on how to install.

Name:  Rockford Dongle.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  85.6 KB

After the update, my system is definitely a lot louder. I'm able to listen to music at a significantly lower volume level with it still being loud. While it doesn't have chest punching bass, the Rockford sub/amp addition definitely made everything louder and deeper. I didn't expect it to have an overwhelming amount of bass. The bass it does provide is enough to get the mirrors rattling and is by no means "stock" sounding. Definitely recommended.

Thank you for your help everyone
    julz

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JuLz For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-07-2019),Eggman (06-07-2019),Top_Fuel (06-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Just wanted to give an update-

According to a slip of paper that came with my RF (Rockford Fosgate) upgrade kit, I needed Rockford's amplifier update, so I called the Rockford company directly. They couldn't help me and told me that I would have to talk to my dealer. So I called my dealer and they told me they wouldn't update my amp for free if my Mirage wasn't an OEM RF model. My Mirage isn't an RF model. As a last attempt at getting my amp updated I decided to email the Rockford company instead of calling. An employee responded back within a day or 2 and told me he would be able to help me out. I gave him my address and he mailed out the amp update kit (a usb stick attached to an OTG usb cable) along with instructions on how to install.

Name:  Rockford Dongle.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  85.6 KB

After the update, my system is definitely a lot louder. I'm able to listen to music at a significantly lower volume level with it still being loud. While it doesn't have chest punching bass, the Rockford sub/amp addition definitely made everything louder and deeper. I didn't expect it to have an overwhelming amount of bass. The bass it does provide is enough to get the mirrors rattling and is by no means "stock" sounding. Definitely recommended.

Thank you for your help everyone
    julz
    Glad you got it sorted out! Mad props to Rockford for hooking you up with the update when your dealership was being a d!ck about it.

Why the hell would you even NEED the amp update if your car came with the RF system from the factory??? They don't call them 'stealerships' for nothing, I guess!

I am sure most of what the update does is set up crossover frequencies for the head unit, amp, and speakers. It sends all the bass to the subs instead of sending it to the door speakers where it would go on a normal Mirage stereo. I'd guess the crossover frequency is probably something along the lines of 100-200hz.

If anyone is interested in this system, I suggest acting now. One of the online Mitsubishi parts houses list the RF kit as 'discontinued'.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    After the update, my system is definitely a lot louder. I'm able to listen to music at a significantly lower volume level with it still being loud. While it doesn't have chest punching bass, the Rockford sub/amp addition definitely made everything louder and deeper.
    Interesting. Not sure I would personally go through the apparent hastle you went through. Now especially with the discontinuation etc. Still that the sound is crisper at lower volumes, not just a sort of no words for it loud but no depth like the 140 watt standard unit. Like tube amplifiers vs the rest.

My Mirage stereo windows up is not bad on some songs on my USB stick, but of the many thousands of mp3s only a few makes the Mirage sound truly great. Good stereo not great.

I had a rental 2017 Lancer for a week and a half a few months ago, and the same basic stereo is used in the Lancer. The sound is even worse but the touch screen is useful. The touchscreen does not mean RF but all RF Mitsubishis have touchscreens, if that makes sense.

Why the Lancer sounds not as good? Bigger volume of interior space I guess.

Last edited by dspace9; 06-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)