Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Carbon (or sludge?) build-up

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Engine Carbon (or sludge?) build-up

Hi there,

just want to share what i saw from FB group.
    Pic is not mine but regarding the engine the history of it was a 2nd hand engine and problem was it is overheating but when they did a test it all comes down to the thermostat problem of the car.

But my question is how true that by using fully synthetic oil causes this to the engine so early or is this normal? Also he noted that the mechanic told him to buy a carbon gasket instead of the OG i think, but im not sure.

BTW the engine is from a 2014 Mirage as noted by the person who shared it.

Name:  FB_IMG_1555643958805.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  90.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-31-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    when do we flush the engine?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey mitsumi that's a surprising amount of gunk there. It makes me wonder if that engine really saw synthetic oil at regular oil change intervals.

Thanks for posting this. Any more details on how that engine head was treated?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (06-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Synthetic oil does have higher heat resistance, but it still can be cooked. If the thermostat didn't open, no oil would be able to handle the heat. There is no need to flush your oil system in regular use.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Synthetic oil does have higher heat resistance, but it still can be cooked. If the thermostat didn't open, no oil would be able to handle the heat. There is no need to flush your oil system in regular use.
    Man that freaks me out because when I took my girl's 2017 G4 in for a CVT fluid exchange at the dealership they said she didnt need it because her engine had been replaced with a new one 2 months before! I asked why and the Mitsu service guy replied "Were not sure, the previous owner probably just never put fresh oil in it." Man, I thought that sounded suspect as hell. The G4 has been riding fine 4 months later but still we got a 1000 mile rountrip coming up to Florida, Im concerned if this was the actual problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    But my question is how true that by using fully synthetic oil causes this to the engine so early or is this normal?
    It's not true at all. Using synthetic oil did not cause that, and it's not normal.

Every engine I've ever opened that had regular synthetic oil changes (even with my lax 8-10k mile change interval) was squeaky clean inside. Even with regular dino oil changes, an engine is pretty clean inside, but will have more of a gold/brown patina coating the internal surfaces. You don't get GUNK like that unless you're just plain NOT changing the oil. Or, maybe if the engine has been severely overheated... repeatedly.

when do we flush the engine?
    You're flushing the engine every time you change the oil. NOTHING else is required.
    Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (06-03-2019),mitsumi (06-02-2019),poorman1 (06-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    It's not true at all. Using synthetic oil did not cause that, and it's not normal.

Every engine I've ever opened that had regular synthetic oil changes (even with my lax 8-10k mile change interval) was squeaky clean inside. Even with regular dino oil changes, an engine is pretty clean inside, but will have more of a gold/brown patina coating the internal surfaces. You don't get GUNK like that unless you're just plain NOT changing the oil. Or, maybe if the engine has been severely overheated... repeatedly.

You're flushing the engine every time you change the oil. NOTHING else is required.
    This.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-04-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi there,

just want to share what i saw from FB group.
    Pic is not mine but regarding the engine the history of it was a 2nd hand engine and problem was it is overheating but when they did a test it all comes down to the thermostat problem of the car.

But my question is how true that by using fully synthetic oil causes this to the engine so early or is this normal? Also he noted that the mechanic told him to buy a carbon gasket instead of the OG i think, but im not sure.

BTW the engine is from a 2014 Mirage as noted by the person who shared it.
    Hey mitsumi .. have not seen that one.. w/c FB group? Has the suspect oil been named/identified? He might have used the locally produced P..... w/c is supposedly very good but has negative comments in a Toyota group.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey mitsumi that's a surprising amount of gunk there. It makes me wonder if that engine really saw synthetic oil at regular oil change intervals.

Thanks for posting this. Any more details on how that engine head was treated?
    not much detail from the poster how they treated it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Hey mitsumi .. have not seen that one.. w/c FB group? Has the suspect oil been named/identified? He might have used the locally produced P..... w/c is supposedly very good but has negative comments in a Toyota group.
    Hi Mitsumi,

Cant remember but i have the screenshot of the person who posted it but i didnt attempt to ask. i can send you the pic later.