Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coolant Temperature Light comes on for a minute or 2 then turns off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even the newer cars with gauges are essentially "dumbed down". The gauge isn't driven directly by a sensor rather by the engine ECU and the needle doesn't read linearly. In other words the needle will rise to some middle range and hardly ever move from there unless the engine gets really hot at which time the needle will rise further. The gauge isn't really doing much more than the idiot lights. Kind of an idiot gauge. The point where the needle stalls is maybe 10 or 15 degrees above or below the engine thermostat value. A fairly wide value where it doesn't move at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It must be nice living in a world where light bulbs never burn out. Even LED bulbs can fail prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    For all I know, my red temperature light doesn't even work. I've never seen it illuminate, so honestly I have no way of knowing if it works or not.
    It would nice if it would illuminate red at the startup lamp check, but it lights up green. Still, I'm not sure it's cause to doubt its functionality.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-02-2019 at 11:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

It would nice if it would illuminate red at the startup lamp check, but it lights up green. Still, I'm not sure it's cause to doubt its functionality.
    I would imagine it is one LED that can light up in multiple colors, so you know it works when the green comes on. Still, only way to know 100% is to look at the board behind the panel. I'd wager its almost certain to be one LED though

Sorry for being so late to the thread haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty_Biscuit View Post
    I would imagine it is one LED that can light up in multiple colors, so you know it works when the green comes on. Still, only way to know 100% is to look at the board behind the panel. I'd wager its almost certain to be one LED though

Sorry for being so late to the thread haha
    You're SO late that Eggman has moved on to a Tesla already!

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty_Biscuit View Post
    I'd wager its almost certain to be one LED though
    How much? I'm pretty sure they're 2 different lights. Just going from memory though.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)