Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Raced Mirage at Virginia International Raceway

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow. My fault..
    I should have known better than to share something racing related with the Eco crowd.

The track event, it's a charity event that does not allow passing that may reach speeds of 100-110 tops. VIR has been running this event for a few years and the entire race track. I think they got their stuff together and don't need any help from keyboard warriors from The Mirage Forum. Yes I reached 90 mph in the car on a straight. I also lived in Kuwait for a few years so 90 mph is a regular thing on the highway like it is in many countries. Hit about 35 in the corners. I don't think I need to justify that or anything actually.

Steve yes this Dad can't afford a GoPro and much much more. Little car in my profile picture is 1000hp GTM that I race at mile, half mile and other runway events. I'm working on the suspension and steering now to bring it to other events like this on road courses. Speaking of road course events I also race a Miata. See I went from karting to road racing to drag racing to airports. And I could give a damn about YouTube views. I've had that channel for years and this is the first time I've posted any videos on it. and only posted it on YouTube to share with you guys. As a matter of fact the whole reason that I took these videos is because I'm trying to push for a Mirage challenge series. Much like the Honda spec, Spec 3 and Spec Miata series. Many people think it will save Mitsubishi and the Mirage. The car will be stripped down and a cage will be added. Suspension mods can be made and minimal power upgrades. It's a great way to get people in a race car that could not typically afford it. It's what we've been doing with the miatas for years. There's is a lot of worry because Mazda seems to be carrying the Miata more upscale in a different direction. This could be a big help to get people on a race track to find new talent and keep the Mitsubishi Mirage afloat.

I keep the temperature gun with me when I go to a track. Check tires and brakes at the end of every run. Tires never got past 150 degrees. That's not in the danger zone! Brakes got all the way up to 400 but amazingly did not fade. Like you guys really care.

Oh and speaking of that kid in the backseat that's been too damn big for a car seat! The kid probably knows more about cars (and racing) than you guys do. In just a few years he will be racing in the NASA Mazda Miata Teen challenge series (with my car). Probably BEFORE he even has a driver's license! You guys want to go ahead and call DSS now. I live in North Carolina if you want to get the local number to make sure the child is taken to safety as soon as possible.

Loren this is a 2015 year model car on its third set of tires. I don't know where you get dry rotted from but you need to get your eyes checked. The tires are not even two years old.

From now on I'll be more careful about where I post stuff on the internet.

Respectfully,
    Race car driver who also owns a Mirage

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-04-2019),Eggman (06-03-2019),Fummins (06-03-2019),Gnarles2 (06-03-2019),MetroMPG (06-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pfft... I loved seeing that Mirage out there punishing the hell out of it's tires. And with safety being a concern, the car was designed to pass all sorts of safety standards and tests. Hell, it got good ratings in everything except the small overlap test that a lot of cars aren't good at from the IIHS. Hell, people loved to race Dodge Neons (and still do) and they have horrible crash tests... but they were a fantastic platform to use for racing.

I, for one, would absolutely LOVE to see a Mirage challenge series. There isn't many good Neons left anymore and no support in the US for the Yaris like there is overseas for racing purposes.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Plenty of people think so. Just need the right person putting the idea in the spot light.

https://jalopnik.com/spec-mirage-is-...ist-1724130734

https://drivetribe.com/p/how-a-spec-...QIiP4YwoUbFkIg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    Loren this is a 2015 year model car on its third set of tires. I don't know where you get dry rotted from but you need to get your eyes checked. The tires are not even two years old.
    First of all, let me say that it was obvious from watching your video that you know your way around a race track. This was not one of my concerns. As stated, more concerned with the way the event is being run. But, as they say "not my circus, not my monkeys".

Now, this is a zoomed in crop of the first photo that you posted. Yes, I see dry rot. That's what all those little cracks are.

Name:  Dry Rot.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  97.6 KB
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow. My fault..
    I should have known better than to share something racing related with the Eco crowd.

The track event, it's a charity event that does not allow passing that may reach speeds of 100-110 tops. VIR has been running this event for a few years and the entire race track. I think they got their stuff together and don't need any help from keyboard warriors from The Mirage Forum. Yes I reached 90 mph in the car on a straight. I also lived in Kuwait for a few years so 90 mph is a regular thing on the highway like it is in many countries. Hit about 35 in the corners. I don't think I need to justify that or anything actually.

Steve yes this Dad can't afford a GoPro and much much more. Little car in my profile picture is 1000hp GTM that I race at mile, half mile and other runway events. I'm working on the suspension and steering now to bring it to other events like this on road courses. Speaking of road course events I also race a Miata. See I went from karting to road racing to drag racing to airports. And I could give a damn about YouTube views. I've had that channel for years and this is the first time I've posted any videos on it. and only posted it on YouTube to share with you guys. As a matter of fact the whole reason that I took these videos is because I'm trying to push for a Mirage challenge series. Much like the Honda spec, Spec 3 and Spec Miata series. Many people think it will save Mitsubishi and the Mirage. The car will be stripped down and a cage will be added. Suspension mods can be made and minimal power upgrades. It's a great way to get people in a race car that could not typically afford it. It's what we've been doing with the miatas for years. There's is a lot of worry because Mazda seems to be carrying the Miata more upscale in a different direction. This could be a big help to get people on a race track to find new talent and keep the Mitsubishi Mirage afloat.

I keep the temperature gun with me when I go to a track. Check tires and brakes at the end of every run. Tires never got past 150 degrees. That's not in the danger zone! Brakes got all the way up to 400 but amazingly did not fade. Like you guys really care.

Oh and speaking of that kid in the backseat that's been too damn big for a car seat! The kid probably knows more about cars (and racing) than you guys do. In just a few years he will be racing in the NASA Mazda Miata Teen challenge series (with my car). Probably BEFORE he even has a driver's license! You guys want to go ahead and call DSS now. I live in North Carolina if you want to get the local number to make sure the child is taken to safety as soon as possible.

From now on I'll be more careful about where I post stuff on the internet.

Respectfully,

Thanks for posting the footage! Hope you stay on the forum. Its like anywhere else in life, not all opinions will line up; it doesn't mean you're input is not appreciated here. I think this forum is big enough for eco and racing/performance. My 2 cents: the Dunlop ensaves seem pretty specific to low rolling resistance, not grip. It'd be cool to see you on that track with some sticky tires!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (06-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    First of all, let me say that it was obvious from watching your video that you know your way around a race track. This was not one of my concerns. As stated, more concerned with the way the event is being run. But, as they say "not my circus, not my monkeys".

Now, this is a zoomed in crop of the first photo that you posted. Yes, I see dry rot. That's what all those little cracks are.

Name:  Dry Rot.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  97.6 KB
    Hey Loren, do you suppose those little cracks could be caused by stress and not just age-related dry rot?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Road America has done "touring" laps at lunch for years and years. You pay $70 or so, and you get to drive around on the track at the lunch intersession.

There are rules: No passing in the corners, no passing pace car, all people need to be in seat belts. It's probably safer than the highway.

If this was so super-duper dangerous, they wouldn't be doing it. If people were getting hurt regularly, it'd be shut down. If it was so horribly irresponsible, the event would be canceled in a heartbeat.

Frankly, I loved the vids, and am glad you got to experience it. Touring laps are a hoot.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (06-03-2019),Dirk Diggler (06-04-2019),Fummins (06-03-2019),Gnarles2 (06-03-2019),inuvik (06-03-2019)

I agree. That's more politically correct than what I wanted to say. ^

It's crazy how people who probably don't even have kids are the first ones to go off about how people should raise theirs. I have a feeling there's a few people who'd probably roll their cars if they got a flat and it shows. I'd rather have my kids in the back of my car with other's on a closed course like that, than on the street surrounded by the stereotypical bad drivers and drunks. At least if something did happen there's already an ambulance there.

Good for you for getting your kid involved in something other than playing video games, smoking crack or joining the community that's offended constantly by things seen on the internet.

Now I want to buy one and post video's of me destroying it just to annoy others lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-04-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I enjoy how 2 pages of support for your racing (might is right right) you still haven't answered at least one pertinent question:

was your boy future Louis Hamilton wearing a helmet? What would Hamilton do?

Wind in the hair?
    Last edited by dspace9; 06-04-2019 at 04:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No dickspace, he wasn't wearing a helmet. I figured you would have got that by all the people talking about the events and no mention of helmet requirements. I wasn't, passenger wasn't, 59 other cars, pace car, and chase car wasent. No one on the track was wearing a helmet. Tons of men, women and children in the cars on the track. Plenty of senior citizens as well. And no one was wearing a helmet.

Now I'm sure you're going to say that's stupid and he should have been wearing a helmet. Opinion taken! I strive to do everything in life to please every person on the internet. But sometimes even the best intentions fail. I want you to know that your opinion matters to me! I will hold it in the highest regard! Thank you for lodging your complaint. I will review your opinion with the utmost of importance. Then forget you ever existed..

You happy I answer you a little question now..