Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raced Mirage at Virginia International Raceway

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And you had your son in the back? Dude, what were you thinking?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-02-2019),Pryme (06-07-2019),stevedmc (06-02-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You had your kid in the car flotownj? No helmets, or pro drivers either probably?

I didn't know when I first watched your video... this was not a wise idea.

The Virginia track has no safety rules?

Not thinking amateur hour, afterhours stunt to me. I don't know the details either so flotownj you gotta verify

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    And you had your son in the back? Dude, what were you thinking?
    Kid was probably in a car seat so its all good I suppose. I think car seats are required for kids up to age 12 these days.

Back in my day, we didn't need no stinking car seats.

Seriously, me and my friends once rode in the tailgate of a pickup truck, while someone's dad drove drunk and shifted through the gears. Each time he shifted gears the car would have a sudden burst of acceleration so he would yell at us kids to hold on to something as he shifted. There was no cab on the back of the truck so we held on for life.

I forgot to mention that this man got his drivers license when he was 16, the state took it away from him when he was 17, and he told us he had been driving ever since. He was about 40 years old.

To this day, I still haven't figured out if the burst of acceleration was due to him being drunk or due to an actual problem with the vehicle. Needless to say, we got scared and never rode with him again.

Good times.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Kid was probably in a car seat

Good times.
    Probably doesn't cut it at the racetrack. This isn't a pleasant drive to the local grocery store here.

By your logic, taking precautions has no point. Not sure about you but if that kid has no helmet the racetrack is liable.

I know Michigan has no helmet laws for motorcyclists but a 9 year old should be in a helmet when it's amateur hour for 14 youtube hits by overzealous daddy at the racetrack for the 2nd time. People be crazy lol sorry dude
    Last edited by dspace9; 06-02-2019 at 11:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Probably doesn't cut it at the racetrack.

By that logic taking precautions has no point. Not sure about you but if that kid has no helmet the racetrack is liable.
    I was trying to make a joke. I agree, there is no excuse to be driving 90 mph in any car with a kid as your passenger. Something fails on a tiny car like ours at high speed and there is a huge risk that someone is going to die.

This car really brings out some interesting people. As much as I talk crap about these cars, I respect my car for what it is: cheap and reliable transportation. It is not a race car and it is not designed for tight handling. It is not a safe car. If you have a blowout in this little car, it could kill you, not to mention your near certain risk of death should a car or truck slam into the back of you.

People really need to understand these are not safe cars and they are not race cars.

Thats the end of my rant.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-02-2019),Pryme (06-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got to add to my car seat joke. I was joking that he even took the precautions to put the kid in a car seat. The reality is that kid probably doesn't use a car seat, even on a normal day. Glad to see dad can afford a Go Pro though. Priorities are important!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    People really need to understand these are not safe cars and they are not race cars.
    For sure I get it. Just scary people behave like this jeopardizing their kids.

I didn't mean to get mean there but give me a break, the kid might have been enthusiastic about the whole thing but this should have been pro in a Porsche. Mirage isn't meant to be driven like this so there are just layers here sorry its true.

As Eggman says below I don't know the details. Accidents can happen anywhere. Private event doesn't mean safe, look at the water park accidents that have happened at a private, waivered park.
    Last edited by dspace9; 06-03-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this little excursion was safer than what may appear. As stated in the first post it was a charity event, I presume open to whoever pays the fee and signs the waiver. Then it is on to however many laps of Follow The Leader at a moderate pace, enough to make passengers slide around in their seats a little bit.

No passing and no stunts. AND it's held on a private track, not public roads. More folks should try it.

I know, let me borrow your car and I'll show you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this little excursion was safer than what may appear. As stated in the first post it was a charity event, I presume open to whoever pays the fee and signs the waiver. Then it is on to however many laps of Follow The Leader at a moderate pace, enough to make passengers slide around in their seats a little bit.

No passing and no stunts. AND it's held on a private track, not public roads. More folks should try it.

I know, let me borrow your car and I'll show you.

I don't think this little excursion appeared to be safer than the video at all. Totally irresponsible on the part of the parent as well. Enough said.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuelblender For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-03-2019),Pryme (06-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelblender View Post
    I don't think this little excursion appeared to be safer than the video at all. Totally irresponsible on the part of the parent as well. Enough said.
    Yeah, I've been intentionally staying out of this. But, I've done a LOT of track events over the years.

I'm not going to blame the driver/parent. Whoever put on this event that allowed cars on track for multiple 20-minute sessions without a good tech inspection (no way I'd let those dry-rotted tires on a race track at speed), drivers and passengers without helmets, AND minors in the back seat... all I can say is that liability insurance does not protect from negligence. As an even organizer (autocross AND track events), I can't help but think this way. If anything happened, those folks would have been screwed to the wall. Simply stunning that this happened at all.

Simplify and add lightness.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (06-03-2019)