Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raced Mirage at Virginia International Raceway

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Raced Mirage at Virginia International Raceway

Virginia International Raceway held a charity laps event this past memorial day. I took my bone stock 2015 ES CVT out to have some fun. Honestly it was the funniest thing I have done in a long time!

I was able to get the car up to 90mph on the straights. I did 4 session. Each session was 20 minutes long. I kept the car at wide open throttle the entire time. I had a friend and my 12 year old son in the back.

The car did great honestly. I pushed it hard in the corners. It leaned like crazy and under steers hard but it was predictable. The tire squeal was so dam loud LOL. Those Bridgestone Ecopias were toast after the race. The car pulls to the right now. I wore those tires out. They look like I was driving on a flat tire. The car leaned and tire sidewall gave away so hard that I was driving more or less on the side of them.

I took a few videos. Hopefully I'm attaching the links right. I have some in car video and had a few GoPro camera's. Not sure how to attach pictures of the tires but I'm trying to.

https://youtu.be/hQ_yjohvVkE

https://youtu.be/7AWfk5byLZA

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-12-2019),Daox (06-02-2019),dspace9 (06-02-2019),inuvik (06-03-2019),Marklovski (06-04-2019),MetroMPG (06-04-2019),Top_Fuel (06-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That is awesome!

I'm glad there are guys like you and Loren out there so I don't have to beat the snot out of my own car!

I'd say you were doing pretty well if you kept catching the guy in front of you...lol.

EDIT - Holy crap I just watched the second video. Man...I can't believe how much the tires move around under those conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, that looks like a blast!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the tires were about to come off the wheels.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-12-2019),Daox (06-02-2019),MetroMPG (06-04-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    have some fun. Honestly it was the funniest thing I have done in a long time!
    Cool videos, looks like you all had a good time. Maybe check out the rally racing videos for the Mirage R5 on you tube, with the turbo. Kind of like a hidden gem in the racing world.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yeah the tires were about to come off the wheels.
    That could have turned out very bad.

A loss of a tire due to a hard turn would be catastrophic. Does anyone know if this ever happens? I mean besides being caused by underinflation. I can recall pictures of tires damaged from an accident but not from hard cornering.

I took a few videos. Hopefully I'm attaching the links right. I have some in car video and had a few GoPro camera's. Not sure how to attach pictures of the tires but I'm trying to.
    flotownj, is this how you wanted the videos to be presented in your post?

Last edited by Eggman; 06-02-2019 at 10:58 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah. How did you do that Eggman?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah. How did you do that Eggman?
    vBulletin software (what this forum runs on) allows embedding a video in posts. In the header bar at the top of a 'Message' dialog box, it's the icon that looks like a small strip of film. Its description reads 'Insert Video' when you hover a mouse pointer over it. Clicking on that icon will bring up a new dialog box. In it, enter the URL for the video you want to embed in your post.

The Insert Video dialog box includes an example of how the URL should be formatted. Don't use a Sharing link from Youtube - it won't work.

For an example, a Youtube video URL should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=#

Where the pound sign is the Youtube video ID.

I've included a link to Basic BBCode in my signature. There's more tutorials found at that link.

I hope this helps. Give it a try by editing your original post (it's where I got your Youtube video IDs) and let us know how it works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, I’m a bit surprised you did this with passengers in the car.

I’m not saying this because of safety alone but because of weight. I’ve seen people get ridiculous and take every unnecessary piece of weight out of cars, down to the spare tire simply to save weight and gain a very small advantage.

Glad to hear you and your passengers lived though. Suspension and tire safety are serious business.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Honestly, I’m a bit surprised you did this with passengers in the car.

I’m not saying this because of safety alone but because of weight. I’ve seen people get ridiculous and take every unnecessary piece of weight out of cars, down to the spare tire simply to save weight and gain a very small advantage.
    I'm pretty sure this was for charity, not competition.