Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Fixing exhaust squeak at idle 2014-2015

Maybe it's rattling brake lines lol

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-04-2019),Eggman (06-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe it's rattling brake lines lol
    That's all it could be, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    This morning it did not squeak... Time will tell if that will continue.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm going to say the previous fix was not enough. Its basically back to squeaking just as much as before. Looks like I will give some powdered graphite a try next. Suggestions for alternatives are welcome!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Suggestions for alternatives are welcome!
    A whole new exhaust, or portions of a new exhaust. I get that's what you're trying to avoid, but if such a noise was bothering me, that's the "best" option.

My drums are grinding a bit sometimes, and it doesn't bother me but someone shouted "get new brakes" at me the other day when I was driving around. Small town.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Converter seal.png
Views: 688
Size:  29.6 KB

I think you are missing a converter seal#2 or 6 in the image. Not sure which one you need, I found both here for under 30 bucks, OEM.

https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/v...ust-components

Not sure about our seals but on other cars they are often a thick graphic matrix seal and are designed to very very slowly wear away. If you scratch them with your fingernail graphite will flake off. The springs on those bolts are there to keep the pressure tight due to thermal expansion/contraction and movement but also to maintain pressure as the seals get thinner and thinner and eventually the connection becomes metal on metal. I wonder if your seals just completely disintegrated and the spring pressure kept things tight enough so you may not have suspected a seal was ever there in the first place. One of your images looks like there is shiny graphite residue that you may have mistaken for fresh metal. Also, the fresh looking metal on the male side of the mating surface does not seem to completely match the fresh wear pattern seen on its female counterpart which makes me wonder if its not all fresh metal but some of it was graphite. If it stained your fingers gray it was graphite as fresh metal wont smear off like that.
    Last edited by gone.a; 08-29-2019 at 07:42 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-29-2019),mohammad (11-10-2022)

I just realized I’m not the first to have this problem! I did basically the same thing to mine but didn’t remove the exhaust altogether.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)