Thread: Air Filter Restriction Gauge

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Attachment 14681Attachment 14682Attachment 14683Attachment 14684

I installed an air filter monitor on a bracket I made to fit in the V shaped unused holder that is on the bulk head of our cars. This way I can monitor & make sure I have the maximum life of the air filter used & not just someone telling me to change it because it looks dirty.. All the transport Trucks I worked on when I did Fleet maintenance had them & the filters didn't need changing until the monitor was in the red zone. (~ 2" WC differential over the filter..) I have had these on my last 3 vehicles & it's easy to see the state of the filter, just look @ the monitor...

Attached Images Attached Images     

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Hey klroger that looks pretty slick. Do you have any suggestions on which features to look for, and a link to yours?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey klroger that looks pretty slick. Do you have any suggestions on which features to look for, and a link to yours?
    Here is the one I have. https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...TS/p/BWNAFG37R
    It has a filtered fitting that goes in the intake so if the hose has a failure, the air is still filtered. I reads red @ 25" H2O (0.9 PSI) differential pressure but locks & holds the highest reading so if you drag race the honda today @ WOT, you can read the differential pressure across you filter tomorrow until you reset it for another race or when you change your filter..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I copied these posts from klroger's Garage entry. See the originals:
    The Pumpkin :: 2018 Mitsubishi mirage gt (Garage entry)

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing one of these on my Ford Focus wagon. It had a different arrangement to it and I think it was built into the air filter housing.

Here is what I found from Baldwin Filters.
    Tech Tips: Air Restriction Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin Filters | Tech Tips

Air Restriction Gauges

November 2013

Baldwin Filters recommends use of restriction gauges as an integral part of a preventive maintenance program. Air restriction gauges measure the amount of vacuum created when air is pulled through the filter — measuring the buildup of dirt from a new filter's installation throughout its useful life.

Using a restriction gauge maximizes filter service life and prevents excess fuel usage from overly restricted filters, thus saving on operational costs. As a filter traps dirt, it becomes more difficult for the air to pass through the filter, and restriction increases in the air induction system. Air filter restriction may also be affected by high humidity or rainy conditions. As the air filter nears the end of its service life, filter restriction will increase more rapidly.

The restriction gauge should be calibrated per engine or vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. The restriction gauge should be reset whenever the service indicator is checked to determine air filter restriction or when a new air filter is installed. If the air filter is not replaced, the position indicator will return to the same reading when the vehicle is driven under normal driving conditions.

If you're not currently using a restriction gauge, you might consider adding one of the following air filter restriction gauges to your equipment.

AFG30 - Dash Mount Air Filter Restriction Gauge

The AFG30 mounts in the dash (2 1/16" (52mm) diameter hole) and shows both inches and centimeters of column vacuum. A Murphy switch gauge shows exact degree of air filter restriction at a glance.

AFG37R - Remote Mount Air Filter Restriction Gauge

The AFG37R mounts on the instrument panel or firewall and maintains the highest reading until the gauge is reset — enabling the gauge to be monitored whether the engine is running or not.

AFG38D - Direct Mount Air Filter Restriction Gauge

The AFG38D mounts directly on the air intake system and maintains the highest reading until the gauge is reset — enabling the gauge to be monitored whether the engine is running or not.
    These look like simple vacuum gauges. Should help with fuel economy, no?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

These look like simple vacuum gauges. Should help with fuel economy, no?
    They are vacuum gages but since the mount between the air filter & the throttle body, they're not the type you would monitor for engine load. you're measuring the difference between the pressure in the downstream side of the air filter & regular atmospheric pressure..

Roger